[1e] Government Forms

Discuss AD&D 1E here.
The Book-House: Find 1st Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[1e] Government Forms

Post by shesheyan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:08 pm

As a 15 year old kid, raised in an apolitical family, reading about Government Forms on page 89 of the DMG was a revelation. It's most certainly my favorite page of the DMG. It helped launch my first world building campaign called Arkinor. Over the years I kept using the 19 types of government mentioned by Gygax through all my campaigns. They helped me quickly define each region of my settings.

Did you use and do you still use these for your campaigns? Have you added new types?

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Re: [1e] Government Forms

Post by Sturm » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:35 pm

Interesting, never read them before as I started playing well after 1ed. IIRC there was a shorter list in BECMI.
It's not very precise however as it does not discriminate between forms of government and forms of state. It could exist for example a Confederate Matriarchal Pedocratic Republic. Some also seems to overlap a bit too much, as Republic and Democracy, Matriarchy and Ginarchy, Autocracy and Dictatorship. Still could be useful as inspiration, which was indeed its purpose.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Falconer
Hill Giant

Post by Falconer » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:02 pm

I’ve never done anything with these, but I have thought of modeling nations after the alignments, under the theory that the alignments are the “teams” in the world. That would help make alignment languages make more sense, too.
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:08 pm

Sturm wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:35 pm
Interesting, never read them before as I started playing well after 1ed. IIRC there was a shorter list in BECMI.
It's not very precise however as it does not discriminate between forms of government and forms of state. It could exist for example a Confederate Matriarchal Pedocratic Republic. Some also seems to overlap a bit too much, as Republic and Democracy, Matriarchy and Ginarchy, Autocracy and Dictatorship. Still could be useful as inspiration, which was indeed its purpose.
That is a very good distinction (in bold) that I had not notice at the time. I'm re-reading some sections for the first time in decades. ;)

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:10 pm

Falconer wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:02 pm
I’ve never done anything with these, but I have thought of modeling nations after the alignments, under the theory that the alignments are the “teams” in the world. That would help make alignment languages make more sense, too.
I did do that too but found that is was too monolithic. Countries tend to be more organic with several factions vying for control of rulership.

I never used alignement languages. It just doesn't work for me. ;)

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:05 pm

I can't find the original source, but Matthew Colville in a video on Alignment mentions that Gary Gygax once answered a question about alignment languages, likening them to a religious language like Latin or Hebrew - but not serving any political purpose.

I've used alignment languages, but we could never really explain what they were, or how they worked, aside from acting in function a lot like Thieves' Cant - and we really didn't know how that worked either.

These days, I know a little bit more than I did bitd, and envision Thieves' Cant and alignment languages as 'speaking in code' using the common tongue or any other language that characters are able to speak. Thieves' Cant and alignment languages sound like a common language spoken - and information can be relayed normally, but Thieves Cant and alignment languages is spoken in subtext that only speakers of those subtext languages can understand.

More On-Topic: I've turned my mind towards making sense of the mess of countries in my homebrew world, so one of the first things I will focus on are the various types of government and how they act/react with other political entries, and how these actions shaped the world in its current form.

Most of my "Old World" government types are variations on the monarchy or theocracy, although I've not really set any of these down in writing. These governments project rule into the "New World", with much disconnect on an everyday level, but represented by Old World agents and mobile figures of authority. The "New World" has a fledgling syndicracy/ochlocracy, a long-standing native statocracy, as well as a smattering of confederacies, despots, dictatorships, and feudality - representations of Old World monarchies or theocracies.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Man in the Funny Hat
Hobgoblin

Post by Man in the Funny Hat » Fri May 10, 2019 5:37 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:08 pm
Did you use and do you still use these for your campaigns? Have you added new types?
I occasionally tried to change up settings (even published ones) just because _I_ get bored of everything always being a pseudo-medieval monarchy. A long time ago I wrote this:
http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/govts.htm
but I haven't really used much of what I wrote simply because the PC's have long been less involved in world politics, largely because they just don't get to levels where that happens a lot. Local/regional issues are mostly where their concerns end.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri May 10, 2019 10:18 pm

Man in the Funny Hat wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:37 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:08 pm
I occasionally tried to change up settings (even published ones) just because _I_ get bored of everything always being a pseudo-medieval monarchy. A long time ago I wrote this:
http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/govts.htm
but I haven't really used much of what I wrote simply because the PC's have long been less involved in world politics, largely because they just don't get to levels where that happens a lot. Local/regional issues are mostly where their concerns end.
Excellent! Thanks for posting this link. :cool:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:39 am

Man in the Funny Hat wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:37 pm
I occasionally tried to change up settings (even published ones) just because _I_ get bored of everything always being a pseudo-medieval monarchy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSbl16vTovU
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

chook
Goblin

Post by chook » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:05 am

Came to see how you had made life interesting for your players with government taxation forms to be filled out when returning to town laden with treasure. Left disappointed. ;)

Return to “AD&D 1st Edition”