New Creature: SJ Rust Monster

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

New Creature: SJ Rust Monster

Post by night_druid » Thu May 16, 2019 2:23 pm

Rust Monster, Space

Rusteel Rust Whale
Climate/Terrain: Any space Any space
Frequency: Very Rare Very Rare
Organization: Pod Pod
Activity Cycle: Any Any
Diet: Metalvore Metalvore
Intelligence: Animal (1) Animal (1)
Treasure: Nil Nil
Alignment: Neutral Neutral
No. Appearing: 1-4 1-6
Armor Class: 2 2
Movement: Fl 24 (D) Fl 48 (D)
Hit Dice: 3 12
THAC0: 17 9
No. of Attacks: 2 2
Damage/Attack: Nil 1-6 hull points/4-24
Special Attacks: See below See below
Special Defenses: Nil Nil
Magic Resistance: Nil Nil
Size: M (6' long) G (40' long)
Morale: Unsteady (6) Unsteady (6)
XP Value: 120 4,000

Normally found in dungeons, some rust monsters have been taken into wildspace and have adapted to conditions there. They have become the bane to many captains and merchants throughout the Known Spheres. They are universally despised by humans, dwarves, and orcs alike for the damage they can do to a ship, never mind any cargo said ship may be carrying.

Rusteel: The rusteel appear much like a normal rust monster, save for two sets of transparent, fin-like wings instead of legs. The body is longer and more like an armored eel with a propeller-like tail. The rusteel retains the long antennae of standard rust monsters, which it uses to induce rusting in metals to feed upon.

Combat: Rusteels are inoffensive, passive creatures. They cannot make even the meekest of attacks to defend themselves. They are attracted to metal; the merest whiff of metal will send rusteel into a feeding frenzy. Rusteels can smell metal up to 240 feet away. When a rusteel’s antennae touches metal (determined by a successful attack roll), the metal rusts and corrodes. Magic items have a chance of avoiding rusting equal to 10% for each plus of quality. Thus, a shield +3 has a 30% chance of resisting the rusting effect of the rusteel. Metal weapons striking the rusteel has the same chance of corrosion as if it were struck by the antennae. The rusteel will immediately set into devouring any rust it creates.

Rusteels are ravenous eaters, greedily devouring all metal they encounter. They can be easily distracted by a few bolts or iron spikes tossed in their path. They prefer refined metals over ore but are not picky eaters.

Habitat/Society: Rusteels can be found anywhere. Most commonly they are found lurking about abandoned dwarven citadels, wrecked ships, and remote, metal-rich asteroids. They often accompany rust whales, with small packs up of to six swarming around the larger beasts. They favor dark places away from large fire bodies; the outer parts of spheres, where sunlight dwindles to twilight conditions, is their preferred haunts.
When two or more rusteels are encountered, there is a 50% chance of encountering an offspring with an adult. Offspring will be half the size of an adult rusteel. Adults are inattentive parents and often abandon their offspring when they sniff sources of metal.

Rusteels never collect treasure. Any treasure found in a rusteel lair will be gemstones or carved woods; anything metal will be devoured as soon as possible.

Ecology: Rusteels survive on a diet of rusted metal. They aide in the decay and eventual decomposition of old wrecks, especially metal vessels such as scorpionships.

It is unknown how the creatures have propagated throughout wildspace. Rusteels lack the ability to make long journeys between worlds under their own power and cannot hibernate for the long centuries it would take to drift to another world. Orcs blame elves for the spread of these creatures, claiming the elves bred them in great numbers to unleash on their scorpionship fleets. The elves are oddly silent on the matter.

Rust Whale: There are few things more terrifying to captains of iron-clad warships than the sight of a rust whale. Although as gentle an inoffensive as any rust monster, they are hated by orc and dwarf alike.

A rust whale appears as great, armor plated whale, 40’ long and gracefully flying through space. It has a long tail that ends in paddle-like fin that makes long sweeps up and down as it flies. Two long prehensile antennae are located just under its eyes and are 20 feet long. Legs have been replaced by long, graceful fins. Rust whales are bright red in coloration and smell of oxidized metal.

Combat: Rust whales are generally passive, inoffensive creatures. Their great size and bulk make them a hazard, even to ships not made of metal. To touch of a rust whale’s antenna (determined by a standard attack roll) causes 1-6 hull points of damage to ships with metal hulls. Ships with wooden hulls still take 1-2 points of hull damage due to rusting of nails and fixtures used to hold the ship together. If a rust whale is struck by a ship’s weapon, it will become panicked, and ram the offending ship. These ram attacks will cause 1-4 points of damage on a successful hit, in addition to damage from its antenna. Should a creature be rammed, they suffer 4-24 hit points of damage due to the creature’s great bulk.

Habitat/Society: Rust whales dwell in the darkest, outermost portions of crystal shells, far away from the light of any firebody save the stars themselves. They are social creatures, gathering into pods of up to six individual whales. In any given pod, 1-2 will be immature rust whales of half the size and hit dice as the adult whales.

Ecology: It is believed that rust whales are rusteels that have gorged themselves on ore-rich asteroids and the wrecks of metal spelljammers. During the First Unhuman Wars, the elves corralled rust whales into the path of orcish fleets. In at least two recorded incidents, the rust whales inflicted serious damage to the orcish scorpionships before the elves swooped in to finish off the crippled fleets, suffering minimal losses. It is believed the elves have the means to summon and control rust whales.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: New Creature: SJ Rust Monster

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 16, 2019 7:13 pm

Nice pair of monsters there.

I guess that a GM would need to decide how many metal parts there are on weapons of a ship, as turning those parts to rust would disable a weapon.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu May 16, 2019 8:01 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:13 pm
Nice pair of monsters there.

I guess that a GM would need to decide how many metal parts there are on weapons of a ship, as turning those parts to rust would disable a weapon.
Probably just a natural 20 results in loss of a weapon. With 2 attacks a round, that could chew through a ship's weapons rather quickly.

Ooo, imagine encountering a pod of rust whales with a few scro survivors in rags clinging to great whales, the ruins of their mantis in the distance.

Seethyr
Cloud Giant

Post by Seethyr » Fri May 17, 2019 1:43 am

It totally was the elves, wasn’t it?
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Fri May 17, 2019 1:50 am

Seethyr wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:43 am
It totally was the elves, wasn’t it?
Not necessarily...but I can totally see them exploiting the hell out of rust whales against orc ships (and lie like a rug to keep the dwarves from being mad at them ;) )

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Fri May 17, 2019 2:41 am

i would suspect that if elves are not entirely responsible for these creatures, they probably aren't entirely innocent either :P

(and certainly they don't seem to be above making use of them).

i'm just imagining the elves finding a way to put them into stasis and then flinging the small ones in big glass globes at metal ships while laughing maniacally. and some other ships of those they wouldn't be terribly fond of as well, like some neogi ships. also lizardman ships, oddly enough... i wouldn't have thought they'd use metal as their primary construction material. gnomes are no surprise, but lizardmen seems weird...

Lord Torath
Troll

Post by Lord Torath » Fri May 17, 2019 3:28 am

Considering that lizardman Bloatflies are generally covered in hot tar, would the rusteels/whales be that interested in them? I would tend to think they'd avoid that.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Fri May 17, 2019 10:28 am

Lord Torath wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:28 am
Considering that lizardman Bloatflies are generally covered in hot tar, would the rusteels/whales be that interested in them? I would tend to think they'd avoid that.
I imagine it all depends on if they can smell the metal under the tar. Rust monsters are described as insanely stupid, and I don't imagine these creatures are any more intelligent.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Fri May 17, 2019 11:40 am

Jaid wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:41 am
i would suspect that if elves are not entirely responsible for these creatures, they probably aren't entirely innocent either :P

(and certainly they don't seem to be above making use of them).
I really don't see the elves as the "creators" of these creatures (personally; no reason a DM couldn't rule otherwise). But I wouldn't put it past the elves to make use of them as weapons against orcs in the First Unhuman Wars. :)
i'm just imagining the elves finding a way to put them into stasis and then flinging the small ones in big glass globes at metal ships while laughing maniacally. and some other ships of those they wouldn't be terribly fond of as well, like some neogi ships. also lizardman ships, oddly enough... i wouldn't have thought they'd use metal as their primary construction material. gnomes are no surprise, but lizardmen seems weird...
Yeah, I can certainly see them laughing manically as orcs/scro run around trying to deal with swarms of rusteels wrecking havoc on their ships. I figure they would develop spells to summon and control the creatures, just for that purpose. :)

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Sat May 18, 2019 4:58 am

so i just also remembered... drow ships are metal. are you *sure* the elves didn't do it? :P

Return to “Spelljammer”