Has anyone used Shadow of the Spider Moon?

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Has anyone used Shadow of the Spider Moon?

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:47 pm

I know there was some controversy over Spelljammer: Shadow of the Spider Moon back in the day, but I'd really like to hear from some people who used it.

How easy did you find it to run with SotSM?

Was it easy to run with the changes (from standard Spelljammer)? Did you find plenty of 3e material to expand on those changes?

Did you keep your campaign to the local area, or expand beyond the planetary system that Andy Collins made for you?

Did you expand SotSM via the crystal sphere on Beyond the Moons, or did you do anything different?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Artikid
Orc

Re: Has anyone used Shadow of the Spider Moon?

Post by Artikid » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:41 am

I used it as backdrop for my test run of Fate 2.0 using the Traveller adventure Shadows (with a few fixes).
It was easy to adapt and use, when I play this kind of science fantasy settings I always use Star Wars as reference: make it big, make it heroic, make it familiar, lots and lots of action. Playing some SW d6 helped a lot with this.
I kept it local, I didn't expand the system and the game featured Drow Corsairs as foils to the player's adventuring explorers.
It was a long time ago, and while I liked the setting and the players enjoyed the game, I was slightly annoyed by the rough edges of Fate 2.0.
Illustrator for hire, my Patreon campaign: https://www.patreon.com/artikid
My online gallery https://artikid.deviantart.com

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:00 pm

I used it briefly for a Pathfinder-Spelljammer game. I mainly used it as the basis for feats, the art, and the rules presented on guns for the Pathfinder setting. I received a pretty neutral response, except for when it concerned guns. All I got were complaints about how powerful the guns were. Maybe they were a little bit strong, at the time I was just running 'as-is' from the magazine.

I would still use Spider Moon as either a crystal sphere of its own, though as I mentioned in another thread, those spider ships are the property of the Neogi. So either those Drow need their own ship (get your own, Dark Elves!) or the Drow in that sphere are pirates who slew the Neogi and decided to re-purpose their spider craft for their own nefarious purposes.

Finally, and this is a personal DM Boddynock position, if I ran Spidermoon nowadays, I would treat the Spelljamming rules less as a game concept and more as a plot device. I never had anyone who really wanted to invest the skill points/feats into Spelljamming or the Weapon Proficiency in operating a siege weapon. My personal space combat would be more of an excuse to have two ships exchange broadsides before the gangplanks fell down and boarding parties rushed each other.
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:41 am

Artikid wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:41 am
I used it as backdrop for my test run of Fate 2.0 using the Traveller adventure Shadows (with a few fixes).
It was easy to adapt and use, when I play this kind of science fantasy settings I always use Star Wars as reference: make it big, make it heroic, make it familiar, lots and lots of action. Playing some SW d6 helped a lot with this.
I kept it local, I didn't expand the system and the game featured Drow Corsairs as foils to the player's adventuring explorers.
It was a long time ago, and while I liked the setting and the players enjoyed the game, I was slightly annoyed by the rough edges of Fate 2.0.
It's nice to know that the Shadow of the Spider Moon setting was flexible enough to be used with another rules system.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:54 pm

Boddynock wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:00 pm
I used it briefly for a Pathfinder-Spelljammer game. I mainly used it as the basis for feats, the art, and the rules presented on guns for the Pathfinder setting. I received a pretty neutral response, except for when it concerned guns. All I got were complaints about how powerful the guns were. Maybe they were a little bit strong, at the time I was just running 'as-is' from the magazine.
So, did you go the other way to Artikid and keep the rules, but swap out the setting for the Pathfinder setting.
Boddynock wrote:
I would still use Spider Moon as either a crystal sphere of its own, though as I mentioned in another thread, those spider ships are the property of the Neogi. So either those Drow need their own ship (get your own, Dark Elves!) or the Drow in that sphere are pirates who slew the Neogi and decided to re-purpose their spider craft for their own nefarious purposes.
The Neogi did get those ships, but there are plenty of other ship hull types that were built by one race and used by other races.

Drow could trade slaves for deathspiders and mind spiders...or flat out steal them and reverse engineer them. Like you said, with the pirate idea, it doesn't take too much work to make SotSM and Known Sphere ideas work together. (And if you are not using the old Spelljammer setting, you don't even need to bother. Spider ships could be a drow design from the start...and the neogi could steal them later to get them.)
Boddynock wrote:
Finally, and this is a personal DM Boddynock position, if I ran Spidermoon nowadays, I would treat the Spelljamming rules less as a game concept and more as a plot device. I never had anyone who really wanted to invest the skill points/feats into Spelljamming or the Weapon Proficiency in operating a siege weapon. My personal space combat would be more of an excuse to have two ships exchange broadsides before the gangplanks fell down and boarding parties rushed each other.
I'm a lot less interested in rules, these days myself.

Skill points and Feats could be something that NPCs take, rather than PCs, especially if PCs are not committed to being on ships all the time.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:12 pm

So, did you go the other way to Artikid and keep the rules, but swap out the setting for the Pathfinder setting.
That was a slip on my part. What I meant to say is we used the Crystal Sphere and fluff from the magazine, but the mechanics of Pathfinder. By the time I got to SotSM, Pathfinder was out in that soft-back beta form. I generally ran the game from the Crystal Sphere and over to Bralspace to arrive on the Rock of Bral and campaign some more. Our story ended up in the Rock of Bral.
Check out my blog: 'The Gnomish Embassy'

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Return to “Spelljammer”