Serraine, what is the typical flight plan?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Arnden Quartzspar
Hobgoblin

Serraine, what is the typical flight plan?

Post by Arnden Quartzspar » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:12 pm

I was wondering if anyone could help me with plotting Serraine's flight plans.

Robin
Storm Giant

Re: Serraine, what is the typical flight plan?

Post by Robin » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:26 pm

As far as I have explored this, Serraine has no regular flightplan. they fly as their mood and the weather goes, yet know one or two stops ahead which direction to take planned, yet this might change depnding on the weather and oppurtunities (Trade).

Serraine is canonnically known to visit Alfheim. it has a Landing base there --see my Canolbarth map; http://pandius.com/alfheim_1_mile_east_ ... a2qaog.png Parth an Serraine Rimpa-róta
How this will be after WotI is unknown, as they have not made any positive contact with the Shadow Elves (which by the way absolutely dislike flying in open air (even if they know the spelland fly underground to difficult to reach locations), 90% of all Shadow Elves are agarophobic (afraid of open spaces) due their underground living style)
Serraine has landingsites North of Darokin city, North of Selenica, East of Thyatis, North of Foreston(Thyatis), Marlinev Plains (close to Specularum/Mirros), two locations in the Shires; southwest of Shireton, south of Mallowfern(eastshire),North of Ylaruam city, and south of Sodefjord city, southeast of Evemur (Rockhome), South of Akesoli(Darokin)
It is known to fly over Rugalov (known out of the crashlanding adventure there).
It would be accepted in Ostand and Vestland yet does not havee prepared landing site there
It does not land in Atruaghin,
It does not dare to fly over Glantri (due the mad wizards there)
It dislikes flying over large seas, yet does visit the Isle of Dawn, Alphatia, Bellisaria, and has traversed (with some exploration landings) over Skothar, being happy to reach the Arm of the Immortals. It did at least fly once over the Savage Coast, Hule and Sind, having forced to serious repairs in Jalapur I belive to remember from the Almanacs.
The main direction seems to be west to east.

Here some extra information on Serraine
viewtopic.php?t=16884
I hope this helps
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:11 pm

I think Robin's ideas make sense.

One thing I have wondered about though. Does the presence of Nagpa on Serraine mean that Serraine has visited the Vulture Peninsula?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:04 pm

Perhaps Serraine visits the Vulture Peninsula once a year so that the nagpas aboard it can make their yearly pilgrimage.

Once a year, Serraine's nagpa population might swell because nagpas all over the world see Serraine as a convenient way to make the trip.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:41 am

The nagpa Abatu is noted to use a ring of teleportation to get aboard Serraine in Dragon 158, so there isn't necessarily any reason to believe that the Vulture Peninsula (or even Davania) are on any regular route for the city. Considering the amount of food I'd think they'd need to import (not to mention other supplies) I would suspect that the city does have a fairly regular route that it travels, where it has some kind of established trade. If they were to go over regions that were un- or sparsely-populated for any length of time, I imagine it would be problematic for them.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:15 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:41 am
The nagpa Abatu is noted to use a ring of teleportation to get aboard Serraine in Dragon 158, so there isn't necessarily any reason to believe that the Vulture Peninsula (or even Davania) are on any regular route for the city. Considering the amount of food I'd think they'd need to import (not to mention other supplies) I would suspect that the city does have a fairly regular route that it travels, where it has some kind of established trade. If they were to go over regions that were un- or sparsely-populated for any length of time, I imagine it would be problematic for them.
Very good points. Perhaps Nagpas have a place on the Known World where they get onto Serraine? I'd imagine they also fly past some Mountain tops in the Brokenlands to pick up Faenare.

I do like the idea of them visiting the floating islands of Ar every now and then...

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:28 am

IIRC it was not clear in canon where in the world Serraine originated. I think some fans speculated its origin could be in Davania, maybe due to the presence of nagpas. Yet nagpas were present also in the Black Mountains in X4 and X5 and I think their presence there was not really explained (if not by Bruce ex-post as I believe he said nagpas were cursed to wander the world).
Personally I prefer to use nagpas as related to gyerians and other bird-like creatures, and so have the cursed Varellyans as only a part of the nagpa population. IMC they were so cursed because they exterminated the original nagpa population of their region.
I also prefer to have Serraine as built in Davania, as I wrote in Threshold issue #5 History of Davania (http://pandius.com/dvrcnths.html)

Due to this my general idea is that Serraine flies (often secretly) among the main gnomish populations of Mystara: From Southern Davania (but avoiding the Snartan Empire) to Denwarf-Hurgon in Alphatia, Highforge in Karameikos, gnomish communities in Wendar, Central Brun and Northern Brun.
Canonically there were gnomes in Blackmoor, so fans have imagined there must still be some gnomish communities in New Thonia and neighbourd nations at least (http://pandius.com/skthrpol.html) so it is likely Serraine may travel even there occasionally.

Canonically the Flamaeker gnomes of Oostdok do not remember they came from Serraine, due to the will of Garal, but that might change with the discovery of the Hollow World in the almanacs? Will Serraine try to visit the Hollow World, either to search for the lost Flamaeker clan or just because the Hollow World becomes common knowledge, and gnomes are gnomes?
The Oostdokians may decide to do the same from the opposite direction, eventually.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:20 pm

I used various fan and canon sources and some Scifi to create a functionable origin of Serraine
I placed this in my Mystara Monster Manual Compilation Book on Humanoids. I thought I had already mentioned it here once, yet can't find it (probably because that chapter is far from ready). So here My compilation/Creation work on Serraine
https://drive.google.com/file/d/150rIXX ... sp=sharing

Hope y'all like it
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:52 pm

Sturm wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:28 am
IIRC it was not clear in canon where in the world Serraine originated. I think some fans speculated its origin could be in Davania, maybe due to the presence of nagpas. Yet nagpas were present also in the Black Mountains in X4 and X5 and I think their presence there was not really explained (if not by Bruce ex-post as I believe he said nagpas were cursed to wander the world).
Personally I prefer to use nagpas as related to gyerians and other bird-like creatures, and so have the cursed Varellyans as only a part of the nagpa population. IMC they were so cursed because they exterminated the original nagpa population of their region.
I like the idea of different types of Nagpa existing on Mystara. The Varellyans could be just one of several types.

Perhaps the 5e version of Nagpa could be used to detail yet another type?

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Mystara”