Will Mystara Fans like Joe Manganiello's Krull the Tortle from Upcoming Baldur's Gate Adventure?

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, agathokles

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Will Mystara Fans like Joe Manganiello's Krull the Tortle from Upcoming Baldur's Gate Adventure?

Post by Havard » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:28 am

Joe Manganiello@Twitter wrote:SNEAK PEEK at Arkhan the Cruel’s Death-Domain Tortle Cleric, KRULL as he will appear in the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons adventure module BALDUR’S GATE: DESCENT INTO AVERNUS as part of the storyline and characters I helped create...
Pic courtesy of: @SageAdviceDnD
Source: https://twitter.com/JoeManganiello/stat ... 3271815168

Its hard not to be like Joe Manganiello and be smitten with his enthusiasm for D&D. As a Mystara fan I also think it is great seeing a new original Tortle character. At the same time the gut reaction of being disappointed that yet another unique feature of Mystara is being swept away from us and brought into the Forgotten Realms and mainstream D&D. Still, Mystara will always be where this race originated from and it is nice to see this race becoming more popular.

Can we take advantage of this somehow and let people know about Mystara? :)

What do you think of Krull the Tortle?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Traianus
Bugbear

Re: Will Mystara Fans like Joe Manganiello's Krull the Tortle from Upcoming Baldur's Gate Adventure?

Post by Traianus » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:30 pm

The Good: Always nice to see something from Mystara appear in current products.
The Bad: Said new product isn't Mystara-based, leading to the inevitable "Isn't the Forgotten Realms so wonderful? It created a PC turtle race!"
The Ugly: My impression of the Tortle species was that they tended to be peaceful, in kind of a Buddhist monk way. So of course WotC makes the first official Tortle NPC an evil death cleric.
AC995-Traianus Decius Aureus- Praetorian Legate, Equites Laurifer, bearer of the Corona Civica, Corona Muralis and Corona Obsidionalis -delivered the motherland from the Thyatian occupation and was raised to the purple by the Praetorian Guard.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: Will Mystara Fans like Joe Manganiello's Krull the Tortle from Upcoming Baldur's Gate Adventure?

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:34 pm

Wasn't the tortle already "mainstreamed" into 5E by WotC prior to Joe Manganiello? I seem to recall them doing a tortle writeup on their website, and I know that Critical Role has featured a tortle NPC in its current season as well (portrayed by Matthew Mercer).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Traianus
Bugbear

Post by Traianus » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:26 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:34 pm
Wasn't the tortle already "mainstreamed" into 5E by WotC prior to Joe Manganiello? I seem to recall them doing a tortle writeup on their website, and I know that Critical Role has featured a tortle NPC in its current season as well (portrayed by Matthew Mercer).
I'm not sure "mainstreamed" is the right term. I' don't follow 5e closely, but they did do a web thing that added the tortle as a racial option for characters. I seem to remember it originally being added as an April 1st gag (or in response to one)- then being released as The Tortle Package were it was labeled a Tomb of Annihilation supplement. It was then added into Xanathar's Guide to Everthing to make it official. I don't think either of those mentions Mystara's relationship to tortles, and they seem to officially be placed in Chult (FR).
AC995-Traianus Decius Aureus- Praetorian Legate, Equites Laurifer, bearer of the Corona Civica, Corona Muralis and Corona Obsidionalis -delivered the motherland from the Thyatian occupation and was raised to the purple by the Praetorian Guard.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:36 pm

Traianus wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:26 pm
Cthulhudrew wrote:
I'm not sure "mainstreamed" is the right term. I' don't follow 5e closely, but they did do a web thing that added the tortle as a racial option for characters. I seem to remember it originally being added as an April 1st gag (or in response to one)- then being added into XGtE to make it official.
Yes,
Tortles were introduced to 5E with The Tortle Package, a PDF expansion to Tomb of Anhiliation. These are found in a region of Chult (in the Forgotten Realms) known as the Snout of Omgar.

Notable Tortles from that module are:
  • Eeyal, a tortle guide from Fort Beluarian wearing goggles to protect her eyes from volcanic ash
  • Kwilgok, a guide from Port Nyanzaru working for a merchant prince
  • Mudgraw, a tortle druid from Ahoyhoy (a Tortle Fort/Settlement) who can be hired by the PCs as a guide
There was a lot of ruckus on Twitter prior to the release of Tom of Annhilation with WotC's Mike Mearls saying Tortles were stupid and WotC's Jeremy Crawford saying they were awesome which as it turns out only was a silly promotion ploy.

I didn't know there Matt Mercer played a Tortle in Critical Role. That is interesting Cthulhudrew! Are any details on this character available anywhere?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:38 pm

Traianus wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:30 pm
The Bad: Said new product isn't Mystara-based, leading to the inevitable "Isn't the Forgotten Realms so wonderful? It created a PC turtle race!"
The Ugly: My impression of the Tortle species was that they tended to be peaceful, in kind of a Buddhist monk way. So of course WotC makes the first official Tortle NPC an evil death cleric.
Fully agree. I'm not a fan of the visual portrayal of the tortle species at all with that one. It's far too "over the top" for my liking.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:41 pm

Hugin wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:38 pm
Fully agree. I'm not a fan of the visual portrayal of the tortle species at all with that one. It's far too "over the top" for my liking.
I'm not 100% sure that Krull is a creation of Joe Manganiello, but "over the top" seems to be his thing. I mean, look at his basement ;)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:42 pm

Traianus wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:26 pm
Cthulhudrew wrote:
I'm not sure "mainstreamed" is the right term. I' don't follow 5e closely, but they did do a web thing that added the tortle as a racial option for characters. I seem to remember it originally being added as an April 1st gag (or in response to one)- then being released as The Tortle Package were it was labeled a Tomb of Annihilation supplement. It was then added into Xanathar's Guide to Everthing to make it official. I don't think either of those mentions Mystara's relationship to tortles, and they seem to officially be placed in Chult (FR).
Tortles are in Mordenkainen's not Xanathar's. Page 242. Their alignement is Lawful Good. The description is in line with being gentle and in tune with nature. Even if they build temporary settlements they are nomadic and explorers of the wonders of the world. There is also a Tortle Druid stat box.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:44 pm

Hugin wrote:
Traianus wrote:
Having one clan turn to evil makes sense in the context of an adventure. It makes them less unidimensional.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:25 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:44 pm
Hugin wrote:
Traianus wrote:
Having one clan turn to evil makes sense in the context of an adventure. It makes them less unidimensional.
Oh, sure, that isn't my main quibble. (Although it works better after establishing what the norm is.)

My main criticism is really the art style, and not the quality - it is very well done. Just personal tastes, that's all.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:29 pm

I'm game for it. I do agree with Hugin that Krull here might be a little over the top though!

In looking at the image, Krull here appears to be a snapper subrace, so I'm alright with the visual portrayal since we have some other tortle art that shows the different variants.

I can't say I'm surprised, or even disappointed, that tortles were brought over to Chult in the Realms. At this point, I'd love it if WotC gave us Mystara 5E. That said, I'll settle for them giving us rules and the material in other sourcebooks that are at least a nod to Mystara, whether they mention it or not.

CommanderCrud
Hobgoblin

Post by CommanderCrud » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:05 pm

I was disappointed they didn't include snappers as a subrace when they did tortles.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:42 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:36 pm
I didn't know there Matt Mercer played a Tortle in Critical Role. That is interesting Cthulhudrew! Are any details on this character available anywhere?
Orly Skiffback. He's a tortle bard, who is teaching Jester how to make magical tattoos from gem dust (or was- I'm a bit behind in episodes at this point). He's also a part of the Mighty Nein's crew, as he is a sailor.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:37 pm

I do enjoy 'normal' Mystara Tortles...which appear somewhat more like Ninja Turtles and normal creatures.
Though the art is done well this is no normal Mystara tortle...it has its shield alteed in an unnatural fashion , which also would proff bothersome in many circumstances...ie especially structures and dungeons, but also jungle, woodlands, bushes, underwater kelp forests, etc
There is an important reason that nature gave turtles and tortles reasonably smooth shields, and not multiple pyramid shields.
Although I like the art, the creature is to me NOT a Tortle, and Not Mystara worthy.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:02 am

Argentmantle wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:29 pm
In looking at the image, Krull here appears to be a snapper subrace, so I'm alright with the visual portrayal since we have some other tortle art that shows the different variants.
Good point! He really does look like a Snapper!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:57 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:42 pm
Havard wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:36 pm
Orly Skiffback. He's a tortle bard, who is teaching Jester how to make magical tattoos from gem dust (or was- I'm a bit behind in episodes at this point). He's also a part of the Mighty Nein's crew, as he is a sailor.
Very cool! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:58 am

For my personal Mystara Canon, I am going to assume that anything related to Tortles belongs in Mystara. I'm going to assume that all Tortle NPCs (but not necessarily their companions) are from Mystara even if they somehow find themselves on other worlds at times :ugeek:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:58 am

I like Tortles, but those not familiar with them will think they are Ninja Turtle inspired.
Also I don't like the name Krull. It belongs to an early 80's movie..

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:27 pm

Robin wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:37 pm
I do enjoy 'normal' Mystara Tortles...which appear somewhat more like Ninja Turtles and normal creatures.
Though the art is done well this is no normal Mystara tortle...it has its shield alteed in an unnatural fashion , which also would proff bothersome in many circumstances...ie especially structures and dungeons, but also jungle, woodlands, bushes, underwater kelp forests, etc
There is an important reason that nature gave turtles and tortles reasonably smooth shields, and not multiple pyramid shields.
Although I like the art, the creature is to me NOT a Tortle, and Not Mystara worthy.
Nature time! Yay! So in the middle part of the United States, we've been gifted with a truly terrifying creature. Its called an alligator snapping turtle. Besides being notoriously ill-tempered, they have a shell structure that looks like almost pyramidal, similar to the tortle illustrated above. They are primarily aquatic and seldom come up on land. I've only seen one in the wild and it looked like a dark pile of rocks. I'd imagine that if you were looking down into a river, you'd not be able to tell the difference between a snapping turtle and that pile of rocks until it let you know by biting a toe off.

Below is a picture of an Alligator Snapping Turtle
This picture originated from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and is displayed on Wikipedia. It is listed as public domain.

The snappers subrace of tortles is described as looking "similar but are broader and more massive, with lumpy brownish shells, and vicious beaks."

I think that the image above is probably the closest we are going to get to a snapper.

So, nature didn't give all turtles, and perhaps not all tortles, reasonably smooth shells.

The pyramidal shapes are exaggerated a bit more than even the snapping turtle, but that might very well be artistic license.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:28 pm

Ok Nature can be seriously freaky. And I was unknown of this creepy critter.
And I must agree the shell structure is somewhat pyramid , although even here you see the round shape, the edges being pointed away from the genral direction.
The artist clearly overdid this effect on the 'tortle'image, which indeed is more a snapper than a tortle. ..and the pyramids shown must seriously haper its actions in many environments.
i still like the pucture on itself though
thanx for the creature
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:59 pm

And I do agree that the pyramids are a smidge overboard... its like Krull is carrying around a model of the Nithian pyramids on his back

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:01 pm

Lol :shock: :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: ;)

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:41 pm

Alligator Snapping Turtles can get seriously huge. The aquarium at the Mall of America had one for years; it finally died a few years ago. Several hundred pounds, and it could remove more than a finger or toe.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:40 pm

That's truly terrifying! I've seen a couple at zoos but they weren't that big. Looking over their wikipedia entry (cause you know all good research starts there), they can live to be over a hundred years old and can get that large, several feet long and hundreds of pounds.

Alligator Snapping Tortle and Alligator Snapping Dragon Turtle maybe?

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:08 pm

Argentmantle wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:40 pm
Alligator Snapping Tortle and Alligator Snapping Dragon Turtle maybe?
ouch

Return to “Savage Coast”