Monsters & Treasure Compendium binder

Discuss Troll Lord Game's rules set here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Monsters & Treasure Compendium binder

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:05 am

Troll Lord Games just came out with the Monsters & Treasure Compendium. It's a binder filled with creatures, reminiscent of the AD&D 2nd Edition Monstrous Compendium. What do you think of this presentation of a bestiary? Do you prefer traditional books or binders? Or does your view vary based on the game or some other factors? Would you like to see TLG produce additional sheets to add to the binder in the way that TSR did with AD&D?

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: Monsters & Treasure Compendium binder

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:04 pm

I'd rather have a hardcover book. The binder hole punches aren't very suitable and they can tear easily.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:49 pm

In theory I like the idea. But only if both sides of the page is for a single creature or group of similar creatures (spiders). Otherwise it will not work as soon as they publish a new creature that falls alphabetically between to different creatures printed on each side of the same page... Fantasy RPG compagnies are well known for constantly pushing new creatures.

One can always use plastic sleeves to protect the pages and prevent tearing. It's not expensive.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:36 am

shesheyan wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:49 pm
In theory I like the idea. But only if both sides of the page is for a single creature or group of similar creatures (spiders). Otherwise it will not work as soon as they publish a new creature that falls alphabetically between to different creatures printed on each side of the same page.
That's a good point. Did the old TSR sheets work this way? Or did they have a more than one monster per sheet (front and back)?

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:05 am
Troll Lord Games just came out with the Monsters & Treasure Compendium. It's a binder filled with creatures, reminiscent of the AD&D 2nd Edition Monstrous Compendium. What do you think of this presentation of a bestiary? Do you prefer traditional books or binders? Or does your view vary based on the game or some other factors? Would you like to see TLG produce additional sheets to add to the binder in the way that TSR did with AD&D?
That tickles my nostalgia, certainly. I might pick it up for that reason alone ;)

My approach to binders is to get sheet protectors and put the individual monster sheets in those. Yes it makes it more expensive and heavier but works great. I just wish I had thought of that 30 years ago when I got my original binder :)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Return to “Castles & Crusades”