Have I been too hard on the Rise of Solamnia trilogy?

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Have I been too hard on the Rise of Solamnia trilogy?

Post by Dragonhelm » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:33 am

I think it's no secret that I wasn't the biggest fan of the Rise of Solamnia trilogy. Normally I like Douglas Niles as an author, but I was put off by three things in this trilogy:
  • The structure of the Knights of Solamnia did not match existing game material.
  • There was thinly-veiled allegories to political figures of the time.
  • The inclusion of gunpowder.
I have to wonder, though. Am I being too harsh? Was this trilogy better than I gave it credit for?

What do you think?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

apotheot
Ogre

Re: Have I been too hard on the Rise of Solamnia trilogy?

Post by apotheot » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:30 pm

Its been a decade since I read it, but I do remember at least the first part you are mentioning...and feel like I might remember the third. I feel like I need a referesher on much of the plot.... but I would chock some of this up to artistic licence and the extreme changes that occurred in the world first in the years between the Chaos War and War of Souls, and then after the War of Souls.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: Have I been too hard on the Rise of Solamnia trilogy?

Post by night_druid » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:08 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:33 am
I have to wonder, though. Am I being too harsh? Was this trilogy better than I gave it credit for?

What do you think?
I wasn't aware you hated the series, but given the things listed I can't blame you. :) I've never read the series, or most DL novels so I can't really comment on the overall quality of the series. That said, I think we get a little more forgiving with age. Gunpowder really doesn't bother me; I think dislike of it in the game can be overblown but IMHO so long as its treated as an oddity, rarely seen outside of pistols and the rare canon (almost mythical artifacts), I don't have a problem. Heck, a tinker gnome "invented" nukes (even if conceptually as a joke) so guns are the least of the problems ;)

Political allegories bother me more, if only because most the time they're both terribly ham-fisted and become very dated. Done well they can create timeless stories, but more often than not they're done very, very poorly. As for the structure of the Knights, I guess structures can change and evolve over time; no system remains constant.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Return to “Dragonlance”