Mysteries of Maraudon (Patch Adventure Path)

Discuss the World of Warcraft campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Warcraft/World of Warcraft products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Mysteries of Maraudon (Patch Adventure Path)

Post by Big Mac » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:52 pm

A few years back, I created a topic called MMO patch releases as inspiration for tabletop plot arcs. I thought I would look at the first patch Patch 1.2: Mysteries of Maraudon and see if a Mysteries of Maraudon Adventure Path could be extracted from it.

First, lets have a look at the patch notes, from the Patch/1.x article on Wowpedia. Wowpedia has these in reverse chronological order, so I'll flip the order:
Patch/1.x article on Wowpedia wrote:Patch 1.2: Mysteries of Maraudon

Patch 1.2.0 Patch 1.2.1
  • The EU version of patch 1.2
  • Rolling for items in the French and German will now work properly
  • Resolved an issue with looting in click to move mode that could cause crashes
  • Performance issues occurring with certain CPUs have been resolved
Patch 1.2.2
(no notes on Wowpedia)

Patch 1.2.3
  • This is a minor patch to address localization issues.
Patch 1.2.4
  • Improved performance when large numbers of players are gathered in a small area of the world.
Looking at that, only the 1.2.0 patch appears to include plot changes.

All we seem to have is: Maraudon, Gurubashi Arena and Feast of Great-Winter.

I've double checked all the patch pages and none of them mention any more plot changes, except Patch 1.2.0. Here are the bits that relate to the plot changes:
Patch 1.2.0 article on Wowpedia wrote:Patch 1.2.0

World of Warcraft Client Patch 1.2

Major Changes
  • Happy Holidays! - The holidays are here and the citizens of Azeroth are celebrating the occasion with festive decorations and winter time activities. Keep an eye out for some fun and exciting surprises throughout the world!
  • New Dungeon - Maraudon - In the vast gray of Desolace lies the earthen tomb of Zaetar, fallen Keeper of the Grove and son of Cenarius. Zaetar rejected his Keeper heritage when he joined with the princess of the chaotic earth elementals, Theradras. Their unholy union gave birth to the misshapen and cursed centaur, who promptly slew their father for his part in their misbegotten creation. Fearful of Cenarius' wrath, the grief-stricken Theradras sequestered her dead lover's body in her secret sanctuary, the Crystal Caverns of Terramok, where she watches over him to this day. Travelers who come to Desolace have little trouble spotting Zaetar's tomb, for the blessing of nature that permeates his being transformed his resting place into a verdant paradise of flora and tranquil pools. Today, this tomb is now trodden by the hooves of Zaetar's children, who have claimed this great cavern as their sacred stronghold Maraudon.

Maraudon, a level 40-49 dungeon in Desolace, is now open and ready for business
General Changes

Player versus Player
  • Gurubashi Arena - The arena in Stranglethorn Vale has been changed so that free-for-all PvP will only take place on the floor of the arena, and no longer in the stands or on the entrance ramp. Please keep in mind that on PvP realms, members of the opposite faction can still attack you anywhere in the arena because Stranglethorn Vale is a contested area.

There is now a short countdown before a duel starts.
The patch name has "Maraudon" in it, so Maraudon is probably the most interesting thing to look at.

There is a chain of four quests linked to this dungeon. The first has both an Alliance and Horde variant and the others are all Neutral quests. So I think the quests could be converted for any group of tabletop PCs: :) Wowpedia also has a Guide to playing the Maraudon quests, which could help a GM converting them into tabletop plots.

There is also a list of dungeon denizens (which also includes encounters with boss monsters) that could probably be converted into a Random Encounter table for Maraudon. :)

Has anyone run a tabletop campaign that was based in this area? Have you used the content from this dungeon?

Do you think the two events (Gurubashi Arena and Feast of Great-Winter) could fit in with a campaign set mosstly in the dungeon? Or would you leave those two out?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “World of Warcraft”