[BECMI] Attack and DMG with Missile/Thrown Weapons

Discuss B/X rules, BECMI rules, Rules Cyclopedia, and the crunchy bits from the gazetteers here.
The Book-House: Find Classic D&D (BECMI) products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Post Reply
User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 20067
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

[BECMI] Attack and DMG with Missile/Thrown Weapons

Post by Havard » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:42 pm

Do you allow ST or DX ability adjustments to damage for missile weapons or thrown weapons?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
RobJN
Dire Flumph
Posts: 4259
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 pm
Gender: male
Location: Texas, USA
Contact:

Re: [BECMI] Attack and DMG with Missile/Thrown Weapons

Post by RobJN » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:57 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:42 pm
Do you allow ST or DX ability adjustments to damage for missile weapons or thrown weapons?

-Havard
STR adjustments to damage only apply to thrown weapons, if I remember my RC correctly

Edit: Yup. RC, p. 108: "Missile Adjustments to Damage
Characters get their Strength adjustment to thrown weapon damage, but not to missile weapon damage. "
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 20067
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: [BECMI] Attack and DMG with Missile/Thrown Weapons

Post by Havard » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:07 pm

RobJN wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:57 pm
Havard wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:42 pm
Do you allow ST or DX ability adjustments to damage for missile weapons or thrown weapons?

-Havard
STR adjustments to damage only apply to thrown weapons, if I remember my RC correctly

Edit: Yup. RC, p. 108: "Missile Adjustments to Damage
Characters get their Strength adjustment to thrown weapon damage, but not to missile weapon damage. "
Yep.
But I seem to remember that we added DX to damage in one of our early campaigns. Was that just a house rule?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
RobJN
Dire Flumph
Posts: 4259
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 pm
Gender: male
Location: Texas, USA
Contact:

Re: [BECMI] Attack and DMG with Missile/Thrown Weapons

Post by RobJN » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:08 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:07 pm
Yep.
But I seem to remember that we added DX to damage in one of our early campaigns. Was that just a house rule?

-Havard
It would've had to have been. I don't think any edition outside of the newest allowed adding DEX modifiers to missile weapon damage.....
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

pauldupuis
Orc
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:13 pm

Re: [BECMI] Attack and DMG with Missile/Thrown Weapons

Post by pauldupuis » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:17 pm

DEX adds to missile and thrown weapon TO HIT, no STR bonus for TO HIT for missile or thrown weapons
STR adds to thrown weapons for DAMAGE, no DEX bonus to damage for missile or thrown weapons

zontoxira
Planewalker
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 8:46 pm
Gender: male
Location: Sigil, The Lady's Ward

Re: [BECMI] Attack and DMG with Missile/Thrown Weapons

Post by zontoxira » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:19 pm

pauldupuis wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:17 pm
DEX adds to missile and thrown weapon TO HIT, no STR bonus for TO HIT for missile or thrown weapons
STR adds to thrown weapons for DAMAGE, no DEX bonus to damage for missile or thrown weapons
This reminded me of a house rule I wanted to use:
"You add your Dexterity modifier to the attack roll with any weapon, or while unarmed. You add your Strength modifier to the damage roll, if you so hit. Wizards and clerics can use their Intelligence and Wisdom, respectively, in certain spells."
Do you think this would muddle things up with melee and ranged weapons?

Back to OP, Strength adjustments to any weapon damage makes much sense, to me. As for weapon attack and Strength or Dexterity adjustments, I'm ambivalent.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

agathokles
Red Dragon
Posts: 7665
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 6:42 pm
Gender: male
Location: Milan, Italy
Contact:

Re: [BECMI] Attack and DMG with Missile/Thrown Weapons

Post by agathokles » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:48 pm

zontoxira wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:19 pm
Back to OP, Strength adjustments to any weapon damage makes much sense, to me. As for weapon attack and Strength or Dexterity adjustments, I'm ambivalent.
I disagree. Adding strength bonus to crossbow or other mechanical weapons damage doesn't make much sense to me.

GP

pauldupuis
Orc
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:13 pm

Re: [BECMI] Attack and DMG with Missile/Thrown Weapons

Post by pauldupuis » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:11 pm

The RulesCyclopedia:

Add STR to TO HIT and DAMAGE for Weapons used in hand to hand melee, not Thrown or Missile. No DEX adjustment TO HIT or DAM
Add STR to DAM and DEX to TO HIT for weapons that are Thrown
Add DEX to TO HIT for Missile weapons

Unarmed striking damage add STR to HIT and DAM, just like with melee weapons, but it is noted that adding your STR bonus to DAM is "optional" at the players choice i.e. they can choose any round they hit to hit harder (apply bonus) or lighter (no apply bonus)

Of course people are welcome to whatever house rules they and their players like.

zontoxira
Planewalker
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 8:46 pm
Gender: male
Location: Sigil, The Lady's Ward

Re: [BECMI] Attack and DMG with Missile/Thrown Weapons

Post by zontoxira » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:55 pm

agathokles wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:48 pm
zontoxira wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:19 pm
Back to OP, Strength adjustments to any weapon damage makes much sense, to me. As for weapon attack and Strength or Dexterity adjustments, I'm ambivalent.
I disagree. Adding strength bonus to crossbow or other mechanical weapons damage doesn't make much sense to me.

GP
Yea, you're right, I totally forgot about crossbows :mrgreen:
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Post Reply

Return to “Classic D&D”