Lord Soth'so army

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
Cliffrice
Troll

Lord Soth'so army

Post by Cliffrice » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:25 am

Anyone know specifically what lord Sotheby’s leads from his dreagard keep. I was to to make an army for a war get and want it

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Lord Soth'so army

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:37 pm

Cliffrice wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:25 am
Anyone know specifically what lord Sotheby’s leads from his dreagard keep. I was to to make an army for a war get and want it
I can't find "Sotheby" or "Dreagard" on Mistipedia.

Are you sure of those spellings?

I searched for "Keep" and got the following options, that start with the letter "D":
  • Dagger Keep
  • Dargaard Keep
  • Dargacht Keep
  • Demnach Keep
  • Dominiani's Keep
  • Donskoy's Keep
Is it any of those?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:19 pm

Is Lord Soth in Dargaard keep here http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Dargaard_Keep and here http://lexicon.dragonlancenexus.com/ind ... gaard_Keep
Not sure if there are somewhere details about Lord Soth's minions there. Probably in this module there is something: http://lexicon.dragonlancenexus.com/ind ... d_of_Krynn
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:40 pm

Indeed I have that module, even if I never played it. Dargaard keep is a megadungeon with 7 levels in that supplement and Soth has all sorts of followers including drows on level 2 (in Krynn, for some unexplained reason and with sort of human like sounding names..) banshees, undead Kitiara, dark elves (this would fit better with Krynn, on level 4) werecreatures, draconians, more undead including vampires and skeletal warriors. And then in the end also a tarraque, a beholder, a giant and a lich :) Soth can also summon draconians and fire creatures (with a rod). He has a nightmare named Moggi :) So it seems there is quite an army indeed.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Cliffrice
Troll

Post by Cliffrice » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:47 pm

Stop trolling me bro haha. Have you no sympathy for the latest victim of the dreaded late night auto correct demon?
Big Mac wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:37 pm
Cliffrice wrote:

I searched for "Keep" and got the following options, that start with the letter "D":
  • Dagger Keep
  • Dargaard Keep
  • Dargacht Keep
  • Demnach Keep
  • Dominiani's Keep
  • Donskoy's Keep
Is it any of those?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:05 pm

Cliffrice wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:47 pm
Stop trolling me bro haha. Have you no sympathy for the latest victim of the dreaded late night auto correct demon?
Big Mac wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:37 pm
Cliffrice wrote:

• Dagger Keep
  • Dargaard Keep
  • Dargacht Keep
  • Demnach Keep
  • Dominiani's Keep
  • Donskoy's Keep
Is it any of those?
I wasn't trolling you. I don't have enough Ravenloft fu to be sure that there isn't a lord by that name in a keep with that name.

If it is Lord Soth and Daargard Keep, I can get your post fixed.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:55 am

Shouldn't this be in the Dragonlance forums? Regarding Dargaard Keep and its army.

Lord Soth did however crossover to Ravenloft.

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:21 am

Morfie wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:55 am
Shouldn't this be in the Dragonlance forums? Regarding Dargaard Keep and its army.

Yeah, he did. But depending on what "era" of Ravenloft one is looking at, Soth will have returned home in later "eras".
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:17 pm

Digitalelf wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:21 am
Morfie wrote:

Yeah, he did. But depending on what "era" of Ravenloft one is looking at, Soth will have returned home in later "eras".
Did Dargaard Keep cross over to Ravenloft with Lord Soth? Or did he get a new place to live in the Domain of Dread? :?
Last edited by Big Mac on Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:23 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:17 pm
Digitalelf wrote:
Morfie wrote:

Did Dargaard Keep cross over to Ravenloft with Lord Soth? Or did he get a new place to live in the Domain of Dread? :?
It's been a while but IIRC, and I might not, it was a copy of his keep that was created in Sithicus (a slightly imperfect one with a slight spelling variation accordingly). Sithicus did not really mirror the area around Soth's keep in Dragonlance
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:20 pm

Boneguard wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:23 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Digitalelf wrote:
Morfie wrote:

It's been a while but IIRC, and I might not, it was a copy of his keep that was created in Sithicus (a slightly imperfect one with a slight spelling variation accordingly). Sithicus did not really mirror the area around Soth's keep in Dragonlance
The keep in Sithicus is Nedragaard Keep, meaning "not Dargaard" in Solamnic.

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:10 am

The Dark wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:20 pm
The keep in Sithicus is Nedragaard Keep, meaning "not Dargaard" in Solamnic.
Yeah, and like Boneguard said above, it is a slightly imperfect copy. One of the things that the Dark Powers used to torture Soth (i.e. a constant reminder that he is not back home on Krynn).

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:50 am

Big Mac wrote:
I did a bit of research on Mistipedia, and it looks like Lord Soth built Nedregaard Keep on Ravenloft. It's a twisted copy of Dargaard Keep.

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:15 am

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:50 am
I did a bit of research on Mistipedia, and it looks like Lord Soth built Nedregaard Keep on Ravenloft. It's a twisted copy of Dargaard Keep.
I don't recall if 3rd edition changed the lore, but the original boxed set said it was a gift from the Dark Powers of Ravenloft:
The Original RL Boxed set wrote:The castle is a gift from the dark powers of the land. It resembles his own Dargaard Keep on Krynn.
This exact text is used in the Revised boxed set of 1994, as well as the Domains of Dread hardbound of 1997.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:16 am

Digitalelf wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:15 am
I don't recall if 3rd edition changed the lore, but the original boxed set said it was a gift from the Dark Powers of Ravenloft:
The Original RL Boxed set wrote:The castle is a gift from the dark powers of the land. It resembles his own Dargaard Keep on Krynn.
This is consistent with the novel "Knight of the Black Rose," where Lord Soth and the dwarven werebadger Azrael find themselves sucked into the domain of Sithicus and see a castle that resembles Dargaard Keep before them, but Soth recognizes that it is not his castle (and he then names his new home Nedragaard).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:42 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:16 am
This is consistent with the novel "Knight of the Black Rose," where Lord Soth and the dwarven werebadger Azrael find themselves sucked into the domain of Sithicus and see a castle that resembles Dargaard Keep before them, but Soth recognizes that it is not his castle (and he then names his new home Nedragaard).
I was wondering what that book had to say. It has been a while since I last read it, and its sequel.

I did, just for giggles, look through the 3rd edition stuff... But all references to the keep stated that it was now a crumbling ruin. Even as far back (in 3rd edition that is) as the 3.0 Campaign Setting book, it was referenced as the "ruined keep" of Azrael (though it did not mention him by name).

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:56 pm

Digitalelf wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:15 am
Big Mac wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:50 am
This exact text is used in the Revised boxed set of 1994, as well as the Domains of Dread hardbound of 1997.
Domains of Dread also notes that the keep constantly changes itself to frustrate Soth's desire for military order (under "Current Sketch" in Soth's description). I don't have the boxed set, so I don't know if it's also mentioned there.

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:34 pm

The Dark wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:56 pm
Domains of Dread also notes that the keep constantly changes itself to frustrate Soth's desire for military order (under "Current Sketch" in Soth's description). I don't have the boxed set, so I don't know if it's also mentioned there.
The original boxed set does not give stats or a description of Soth, I guess TSR figured that fans already knew Soth well enough that they did not need to waste the space. So it does not include the bit about the keep constantly changing.

The revised boxed set does provide information on Soth, and the description gives the same text as that found in Domains of Dread (or rather Domanins of Dread provides the same text as the revised boxed set :P ). So yeah, the revised boxed set says that the keep changes to frustrate Soth.

The module "When Black Roses Bloom" (1995) also provides a little detail of the Keep (that differs slightly of that of the 1994 boxed set and 1997 campaign setting book):
When Black Roses Bloom wrote:At the heart of Lord Soth's domain of Sithicus is an imperfect copy of the stronghold Soth occupied on the world of Kynn - a keep carved from a mountain peak whose tapering slopes resemble a rosebud.
Soth soon discovered that the keep was filled with descrepancies that made it subtly different from his original stronghold. Doors were out of place, corridors were shorter or longer than they should be, spiral staircases wound in the wrong direction, and windows gave a slightly different view of the chasm in which the keep was situated. Thus, SOth gave the place the name Nedragaard - "not Dargaard" in the ancient Solamnic tongue.
It goes on to say talk about Soth's retainers:
When Black Roses Bloom wrote:Like the keep, these retainers are imperfect. The skeletal warriors do not keep their posts, but instread wander the keep, refusing to adhere to the strict discipline Soth tries in vain to impose. The banshees sing Soth's tale incorrectly each night, forgetting verses or adding events that never occurred.

Return to “Ravenloft”