[Pathfinder2] Eberron with Pathfinder 2nd Edition

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
Milke
Hobgoblin

[Pathfinder2] Eberron with Pathfinder 2nd Edition

Post by Milke » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:06 am

I'm about neck deep in PF2 right now. But I'm wondering if anyone has given any thought to Eberron in the new Pathfinder edition.
I'm thinking Dragonmarked characters could be done with the archetype system (substituting dragonmark abilities for class feats).
Races would have to be designed with care (it wouldn't make any sense, for example, for a warforged to "gain" the ability to not have to breathe as a class feat at level 9 or something).
But I think PF2 could be an exciting system for the setting.
Thoughts?
Michael W.
Pathfinder player
GM extraordinaire.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Pathfinder 2nd Edition

Post by Big Mac » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:48 am

I've not looked at Pathfinder 2nd Edition yet (I believe there will be an SRD that people can legally share around for figuring out the conversion maths).

I've heard there are some important differences between Pathfinder 1e and Pathfinder 2e.

And you have Eberron rules in 3e D&D, 4e D&D and, coming out right about now, 5e D&D.

Do you think that any specific D&D ruleset is an easier fit for Pathfinder 2e?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

talsine
Priest of Syrinx

Re: [Pathfinder2] Eberron with Pathfinder 2nd Edition

Post by talsine » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:25 pm

I think the hardest thing to convert would be Warforged as an ancestry because they are Living Constructs and thus, have to have some things that would make them much more "powerful" to start with. But once past that, I think it would be a good fit.

Dragonmarks would be perfect as either Racial Feats (for the typical Dragonmarks) and Devotion feats for Syberis (? i think this is what they are called) Dragonmarks, since anyone can take those.

In fact, i think you could make almost all of the PrC's into Devotion feat trees, and just fill in the gaps with Class and General feats (the one thing i feel PF2 needs is more General feats).

As for classes, Artificer is the big one, and it could easily be rolled into the Alchemist class since it has a very similar niche / role, a lot better than the pseudo-spell caster is was in 3E which never felt very good, at least to me.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:46 pm

talsine wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:25 pm
I think the hardest thing to convert would be Warforged as an ancestry because they are Living Constructs and thus, have to have some things that would make them much more "powerful" to start with. But once past that, I think it would be a good fit.
I don't think it would be that hard. Use the basis of the Gearforged from the Pathfinder 1E setting of Midgard, make changes and necessary upgrades where necessary.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

talsine
Priest of Syrinx

Post by talsine » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:02 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:46 pm
talsine wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:25 pm
I don't think it would be that hard. Use the basis of the Gearforged from the Pathfinder 1E setting of Midgard, make changes and necessary upgrades where necessary.
PF2 is completely different beast from PF1. It's a lot of work to convert from one edition to the other, and you have to build a set of feats for them. Luckily, Warforged have a lot of those already so you have some place to start, but i think that Ancestries are the hardest thing in Pf2 to homebrew.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:07 am

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:48 am
I've not looked at Pathfinder 2nd Edition yet (I believe there will be an SRD that people can legally share around for figuring out the conversion maths).
Check out The Archives of Nethys. They were a fan based Pathfinder Reference Document site for 1e, but have since become the official (Paizo sponsored) host of the SRD/PRD for Paizo (Paizo no longer keeps their own SRD on site. It is all at Nethys.) They don't have everything up for 2E yet, but there is already quite a bit there to take a look at.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Milke
Hobgoblin

Post by Milke » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:48 am

I've heard there are some important differences between Pathfinder 1e and Pathfinder 2e.

And you have Eberron rules in 3e D&D, 4e D&D and, coming out right about now, 5e D&D.

Do you think that any specific D&D ruleset is an easier fit for Pathfinder 2e?
This is a complicated question for one simple reason. The setting was designed specifically for 3.5 D&D. So, for instance, the artificer has many abilities that cost experience points. So, when converting to a different setting, these abilities have to be done away with, or taken with a new approach.
This may come across as system bias, since I play PF2, but so far it looks to me like (other than its original 3.5) PF2 might be the best rules engine for it. It is such a flexible system. Where people can make characters just the way they want to.
Michael W.
Pathfinder player
GM extraordinaire.

Milke
Hobgoblin

Post by Milke » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:11 pm

The 2nd ed Gamemastery Guide is coming out for Pathfinder in a few months. They're supposed to deep dive into monster creation and NPCs.
The GM side of things seems to me it would be an absolute breeze. As NPCs aren't required to be built using PC rules. So, an NPC dragonmarked heir could have whatever spell-like abilities and such that you wanted him to have, depending on the Challenge Rating. The same with NPC warforged, dolgaunts, and whatever else.
Most the work would come on the player character side of things. There is an ancestry book coming out (races are ancestries now) soon with tons of new PC races for this edition. So, it should be easy to see how the designers did it, and come up with a workable warforged, changeling, etc.
And, yes, PF1 is not playable with PF2 when it comes to stats. Setting and story work just fine. But rules are very different.

For anyone who is interested (David!) there is a brand new free downloadable adventure on the Paizo site right now that is supposed to take about an hour. Has 6 pregens provided, and is supposed to show people the new rules in action.
Michael W.
Pathfinder player
GM extraordinaire.

Return to “Eberron”