Consent in Gaming and The Same Page Tool

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
Sturm
Blue Dragon

Consent in Gaming and The Same Page Tool

Post by Sturm » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Downloaded today this small free supplement https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/28 ... -in-Gaming which BTW at the end has an useful checklist on the potentially disturbing things you could agree with players to include or not in games.
And also it had a link to this interesting blog https://bankuei.wordpress.com/2010/03/2 ... page-tool/ with an even more useful checklist on what type of game DM and players are really going to play.
Indeed as said on other pages of the blog RPGs could be very different things and probably it's always a good idea to inform players about the kind of game you will run or even decide together what type of game they would prefer.
It would have been useful having this about 25 years ago :)
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

talsine
Priest of Syrinx

Re: Consent in Gaming and The Same Page Tool

Post by talsine » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:09 pm

Just downloaded and gave a quick read, and this is a really good place to start this conversation, its free, short, and gives just enough detail to be a great starting point, but not so overwhelming that it makes people not want to. I know of at least 3 local groups (they all have a common member who is really big on this stuff, so I'm not surprised it came up) who are already planning mid game "Session Zero's" to discuss this and using the PDF as a shared starting point.

I also agree having something like this years ago when the hobby was younger would have been a great thing, and would have helped gaming to avoid a lot of the stigma we are working to overcome. It might have also prevented people like RPGPundit and Zak S from ever becoming faces in the hobby. But that's a conversation for another thread and day.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:26 pm

That's interesting.

In my own experience I feel that inclusion of explicit "mature" topic tend to take me out of the game. I play RPGs to have fun and forget about the world for a few hours, not to be reminded of all the horrible things that happen in the real world.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

talsine
Priest of Syrinx

Post by talsine » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:03 am

Havard wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:26 pm
That's interesting.

In my own experience I feel that inclusion of explicit "mature" topic tend to take me out of the game. I play RPGs to have fun and forget about the world for a few hours, not to be reminded of all the horrible things that happen in the real world.

-Havard
This isn't about including or not including "mature" information, its about making sure that everyone at the table is on the same page about what is and is not appropriate as a topic for the game.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:28 am

talsine wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:03 am
Havard wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:26 pm
That's interesting.

-Havard
This isn't about including or not including "mature" information, its about making sure that everyone at the table is on the same page about what is and is not appropriate as a topic for the game.
Fair point. I took a closer look at both links after making the first post.

I think the Sturm's second link with the being on the same page tool is probably even more useful than the Consent book.

I could see both being particularly useful when running games for people you don't know that well.

Most of the time I play games with people I know quite well, but I also tend to stay away from themes I suspect can be problematic for the players even without asking.

Ultimately though, so much of our games are improvised, in the moment kind of things, so I could see things being thrown in after too many hours of dice rolling and too much coffee that end up not being as enjoyable to every player.

I do think the main key is talking about these things though, both before and after gaming sessions. If this book and blog can help with those discussions, I'm all for it :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:40 am

Sure but the blog link is also about the kind of game the DM will going to play, i.e. with very tactical fights, or very social, light-hearted, gloomy, with easy deaths, without easy deaths, or anything in between, so it is also useful to inform players what to expect.
As indeed rpgs could be played very differently even within the same system and setting.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:51 am

Sturm wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:40 am
Sure but the blog link is also about the kind of game the DM will going to play, i.e. with very tactical fights, or very social, light-hearted, gloomy, with easy deaths, without easy deaths, or anything in between, so it is also useful to inform players what to expect.
As indeed rpgs could be played very differently even within the same system and setting.
Yes, that is a good point. I quite like that blog link :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “The Squishy Bits”