[Carnival Row] Carnival Row RPG released for free

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

[Carnival Row] Carnival Row RPG released for free

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:00 am

I enjoyed watching Carnival Row on Amazon Prime Video this past week. It's a Victorian setting that doesn't take place on Earth, but features a lot of parallels. The most notable difference is that fey races exist, and are treated as second-class citizens in the city that the story focuses on. Be warned, it has adult content.

I was surprised to learn that Monte Cook Games offers the Carnival Row RPG as a sourcebook for their Cypher System. It's a free download. It doesn't appear to offer anything new mechanically, but has a page on races and another on types and foci that work well with the setting. There's a nice map of the world that I wish I'd had handy while watching the first season. I'll refer back to it during the second season, I'm sure. Twenty-five of its 36 pages are world information. It's not so in-depth that you wouldn't need to fill in some blanks, but it features information that you wouldn't have been able to glean from the series alone.

What do you think of it? Are you interested in trying out a game in the setting?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Carnival Row] Carnival Row RPG released for free

Post by Big Mac » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:15 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:00 am
I was surprised to learn that Monte Cook Games offers the Carnival Row RPG as a sourcebook for their Cypher System. It's a free download.
I think that Nerdist have actually bankrolled this 36 page PDF:
Nerdist wrote:Nerdist teamed up with Monte Cook Games, Legendary Television, and Amazon Studios to develop an original RPG set in the universe of Carnival Row, which you can watch right now on Amazon Prime.
Amazon Prime and Legendary Television probably appreciate any free marketing of this on-demand TV show, so they might consider a low cost (or even free) licence for a one-shot RPG book, as a loss leader. If Carnival Row RPG gets really popular, Monte Cook Games might want to expand it and add supplements and there would probably be a need for some sort of continuity checks, by the people who control the TV canon.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:27 am

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:15 am
I think that Nerdist have actually bankrolled this 36 page PDF
Good catch. I didn't read the article closely enough, opting to jump to the link. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:09 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:27 am
Big Mac wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:15 am
I think that Nerdist have actually bankrolled this 36 page PDF
Good catch. I didn't read the article closely enough, opting to jump to the link. :)
Well they don't actually say they bankrolled it. They might just be hosing a file. Maybe Amazon or Legendary Television bankrolled it. Someone did, that's for sure.

I guess that this is also a chance for Monte Cook Games to get more people looking at Cypher System.

It's a bit of a win-win thing all around. :cool:

I wonder if any more will come of this.

I wonder if any of the actors are tabletop roleplayers...and if they might turn up to a convention to play a game set in the world they act in.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:55 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:09 pm
I wonder if any of the actors are tabletop roleplayers...and if they might turn up to a convention to play a game set in the world they act in.
That sounds like it would be fun to watch. I enjoyed the short adventures that Matt Mercer ran for Vin Diesel and for Stephen Colbert. If this were in the same vein, I'd watch it.

Return to “Other Worlds”