[Dominaria] What's in Northern Aerona?

"There are some who call me...Tim!" Discuss Magic: The Gathering campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here
Orc

[Dominaria] What's in Northern Aerona?

Post by 1970 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:06 pm

According to the Plane Shift: Dominaria PDF Southern Aerona is dominated by Benalia, but what's in the North? I have an idea for a game set there but have no idea what's on the other side of the mountains (or what the mountains are called, for that matter). I have a little knowledge from my card playing days, plus the flavor text from the cards themselves from the Mage: the Gathering database, but a more detailed summary would be really appreciated. Thanks!

JamesMishler
Ogre

Re: [Dominaria] What's in Northern Aerona?

Post by JamesMishler » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:24 am

There is an old map of the region which can be found here: http://www.phyrexia.com/images/continui ... Aerona.gif

And the Magic wiki here is also a great resource: https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Main_Page

Immediately east of Benalia (White Magic) and north of the Durkwood and the lands of the Llanowar Elves (Green Magic) are the Red Iron Mountains, including the barbarians of the Kb'Brian Highlands, and the valleys of the Hurloon Minotaurs), and further east the lands of the Ironclaw Orcs (all mountainous Red Magic).

North of Hurloon is the Whispering Woods (forested Green Magic).

East of the Whispering Woods are unclaimed wilds, and then the realms of Wrenna and Muronia (both Black Magic realms, Wrenna led by wizards, Muronia led by clerics, both served by black knights).

Further north are the mountains of Hammerheim (mountainous Red Magic); then cold wastelands until in the east you reach Cape Tempest (White Magic) north of the Sea of Whales (Blue Magic).

West of the Whispering Woods and Hammerheim is a long shore of unclaimed lands, likely a patchwork of wilderness, neighboring peoples, and colonies from further afield.

Across the Honeyed Sea (Blue Magic) and north of Avenant Isle (White Magic) is the Isle of Icehaven, where is found Keld, the eponymous realm of the Keldon barbarians (Red Magic). Further east on Icehaven is found Parma, the realm of the Northern Paladins (WhiteMagic).

Orc

Post by 1970 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:37 am

Thanks, that was really helpful :) . I've got a much better idea of what I'm doing now.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:37 pm

The map of Dominaria on the Return to Dominaria: Episode 1 article on the WotC website, looks pretty useful, as it shows Aerona in the context of the surrounding continents.

I would also second the usefulness of that Aerona article.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”