Favored by Mystra - Benefits and Obligations

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.
Gabriel Jansen
Goblin

Favored by Mystra - Benefits and Obligations

Post by Gabriel Jansen » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi Everyone!

One of my players is a Mage devoted to goddess Mystra. In a recent scene, he encountered Mystra and pledged his services and adoration to her. She blessed him and he became a sort of champion to her cause, a chosen one. I need ideas to what sort of benefits I could give the player, and also what sort of code of conduct of the faith or obligations would be demanded from him in return.
So, if you where the Dm, what would be the benefits and obligations you would give to the player? As a player, what you would expect?

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Re: Favored by Mystra - Benefits and Obligations

Post by Sturm » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:41 am

I'd give him an extra spell slot per level per day to cast any known unprepared spell.
But he would be obliged to help any follower of Mystra in danger and such encounters should happen quite often. He should also be directed by the church to find lost magic items, but to give them to someone in need rather than to keep them for himself.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:58 pm

What edition are you running? I vaguely recall that the chosen of the gods were given mechanical abilities in some editions, but I can't remember the details. I wonder if we can refer back to the way they were handled in the past for ideas.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:10 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:58 pm
What edition are you running? I vaguely recall that the chosen of the gods were given mechanical abilities in some editions, but I can't remember the details. I wonder if we can refer back to the way they were handled in the past for ideas.
I found it in the 4th Edition Forgotten Realms Player's Guide. The Chosen is given a divine spark and sworn to service of a particular deity. Of course, the deity's enemies also want to eradicate the Chosen.

Benefits include the following:
  • You live for centuries. Upon reaching the pinnacle of divinely sponsored power, you ascend to the celestial court and champion the deity's cause in the immortal realms.
  • You increase two ability scores by 2 each.
  • The first time you're reduced to 0 hit points each day, you regain hit points equal to half your maximum hit points.
  • When you have expended your last remaining encounter power, you regain the use of one encounter power of your choice. This would need to be adjusted for other editions, as not all classes have spells or abilities that fit the "once per short or long rest" model.
  • There are then eleven abilities based on the major gods that you can choose from. Since Mystra isn't present during the 4e-era of the Realms, she doesn't have a power listed. There's one called High Arcana that grants the caster and nearby allies either +2 to attack or +2 to defenses against arcane attacks until the end of the caster's next turn. That might work well for the Chosen of Mystra.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:49 am

This sounds a bit similar to the Chosen of Mystra.

Do you want to make a watered down version of one of those?

They all seem to have slightly different powers, but I think that everyone gets Spellfire.

The description in the wiki is pretty useful, as they have abstracted the abilities from editions of D&D. So if you start with that and ask yourself how to replicate some of those things with D&D rules, that might be easier than trying to convert between editions.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:32 pm

In 2ed book The Seven Sisters the powers of the Chosen are many. They have constitution 25, regenerate 1 hp per turn, even re-growing lost limbs, immune to diseases and death for natural causes in general, immune to disintegration, +5 save vs spell, +3 vs dragon breath, detect magic at will, hear magically their name spoken anywhere and the next nine words, do not need sleep and can resist without food and water for seven days, can resist cold, natural gasses and breath underwater, can choose to be immune to a particular spell, can unleash silver fire for 4d12 damage (no saving throw) every seven turns, banish dead magic areas, magical or psionic compulsions, can teleport without error once a day, can choose one additional spell per level to cast without components.
Obviously these are the powers of the Seven Sisters, probably a PC should not receive them all at once, but maybe one per level.
Still the status should have its drawbacks, mainly to be called very often to the service of Mystra's agenda and her followers aid.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:43 pm

In the 3ed Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting there are also Storm and the Simbul which have even more, different powers, i.e a lot of immunities and spell like abilities. Looking at page 248 it seems the main difference with the 2ed Chosen of Mystra is they are also immune to poison, have +10 to constitution, and are immune to one spell of each spell level 1st through 9th which must be chosen and cannot be changed after.

Return to “Forgotten Realms”