10 Forgotten Dungeons & Dragons Settings That Need To Come Back

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

10 Forgotten Dungeons & Dragons Settings That Need To Come Back

Post by Big Mac » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:44 am

The Gamer has an article up called: 10 Forgotten Dungeons & Dragons Settings That Need To Come Back.

Well they are not forgotten by us, as we have bespoke forums for nine out of ten of them (although we use a different name for the campaign setting they put in 6th place).

I've seen a few of these lists over the years. I might agree with their first place campaign setting :halo: but I'm not sure I agree with all of the other settings they named. And I know that everyone has their own opinions. So I don't think there can be a definitive list.

I'm thinking on what my top-ten list of D&D settings I would like to see come back. It's a tricky thing.

I'll come back to this list later and most what I have for me.

But I'd love to hear what everyone else would put down for their top ten.

Oh, and what about the campaign setting the had as number 8? We have a few topics for that (and it's another setting with more than one name). Do you think we will ever have enough interest in that, for it to win a bespoke forum? Jeff Dee certainly seems to be doing a pretty good job at pushing for expansion of the fanbase.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: 10 Forgotten Dungeons & Dragons Settings That Need To Come Back

Post by Havard » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:17 am

Red steel, but not Mystara. A bit odd...

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:41 pm

Here's my list of the 10 settings I want brought back....

1. PLANESCAPE!!!
2. Ghostwalk
3. The Io's Blood Isles
4. Oriental Adventures (either Rokugan or the loosely defined "not found in Rokugan" setting implied by the book)
5. Eberron
6. Ravnica (haven't actually read the book, but I feel certain it needs further completion)
7. Birthright
8. Ravenloft (it did come back once, but that's hardly enough)
9. Dark Sun
X. Dragonlance

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:55 pm

It's criminal that Nentir Vale isn't on that list. ;)

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:40 am

My top Ten settings... I think the only one on this list that might be supported (but never as much as Forgotten Realms) is Greyhawk. Ghosts of Saltmarsh is unequivocally set in Greyhawk, albeit with options to set it in other places. But that was a standard thing back in TSR days. Nearly every module came with that option. :cool:

Greyhawk
Lankhmar
Outdoor Survival
Wilderlands
Known World/Mystara
Kara-Tur
Ravenloft
Spelljammer
Planescape
Birthright
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:05 pm

Horde! Malatra!
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:54 pm

Havard wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:17 am
Red steel, but not Mystara. A bit odd...
These things always come down to one person's opinion. In this case it is Nicholas Montegriffo.

Let's see if I can nail down my ten D&D settings I would like to see return.
  • 10) Arcane Age - D&D set in past eras is an amazing idea.

I have looked at this to see what the Netherese were trying to do in Realmspace, but there are cool backstories for lots of D&D settings. Arcane Age could have gone beyond Forgotten Realms and allowed people to play in the past of every other D&D world. The high level (now illegal) spells are great and being able to create artefacts and do other dangerous things is a great twist on regular D&D.
  • 9) Taladas - This is the Dragonlance sub-setting that Margaret Weis Productions never got a chance to bring back.

Being a sub-setting, this kind of needs Dragonlance to come back first, which is the only reason I've not placed it higher. I'd like to see all the Taladas themes reviewed, with a new story arc created that could work for classic Taladas fans.
  • 8) Sundered Empire (aka Chainmail) - This is a Greyhawk sub-setting that never really got conventional RPG products.

Being a sub-setting, this kind of needs Greyhawk to come back first, which is the only reason I've not placed it higher. I'd love to see the various wargame plotlines of the 3e D&D Chainmail products nailed down to specific sites on the Sundered Empire map. And I'd love to see a proper gazeteer of the area (with citys, towns and destroyed ruins nailed down). Plus I'd love to see the plotline expanded to a 1-20 level story arc, where the PCs can work towards claiming the right to choose the next god of war. Rules for commanding warbands in the Sundered Empire would be a must.
  • 7) Ghostwalk - Ghostwalk was a bit of a stop start project that nearly didn't get published. It's the setting where you carry on playing with the same PCs, if they get killed.

I'd like to see the book expanded with options for every PC race, a bigger gazeteer and a new 1-20 level adventure path that pulls in all the themes of the original book. I would also like to see more options for ghosts outside of Manifest.
  • 6) Maztica - I started learning about this Forgotten Realms sub-setting and then found it had a radical change in the Maztica novels.

The pantheon is interesting and the pluma and hishna magic is interesting, but there is not quite enough to this. I'd love to see the themes expanded.
  • 5) Al-Qadim - There is a Spelljammer tie-in with Al-Qadim and I'll admit that and the fact that made me look at it.

D&D has always had inventions, like flying carpets, that come from Arabian legends and this is a way to showcase them in the right sort of environment.
  • 4) Kara-Tur - I'll admit that the Shou Lung spacefarer tie-in is the thing that first drew me to Kara-Tur.

But the alternative D&D classes, different religion and different arcane magic and other alternative rules go above and beyond the differences you get in other campaign settings (that keep the same rules as D&D, but just change the backgrounds).
  • 3) Dragonlance - The small pantheon of deities, that works for every race, is one of the things that makes Krynn stand out from other D&D worlds.

There have been some fairly radical world-changing events in DL canon over the years. The game was launched in an era following the gods dropping an asteroid on the heads of the "good guys" and then hiding for a few hundred years. Both the Knights of Solamnia and the Wizards of High Sorcery have taken a beating. A wizard stole the power of all the gods. Alien dragons have invaded from another world and the entire world has been stolen from under the noses of the gods.

Sometimes I hear people talk about DL, as if it is a bit of a one-trick-pony, but there is almost too much weird stuff going on.
  • 2) Greyhawk - This is almost back with Secrets of Saltmarsh. WotC need to get this done. Greyhawk shares some deities with Forgotten Realms, so I'd love to learn more about how the two differ. And I'd like to see a good treatment of the Underdark of Oerth.

I would also like to see DMs Guild have a Living Greyhawk section, where designers of LG modules are authorised to put them up for sale (under similar terms to the DMs Guild deal for 5e fan content).
  • 1) Spelljammer - Obviously I am going to want this back. But I think that plenty of the other settings and sub-settings underpin Spelljammer, so I want them back too.

One thing I'd especially like to see for Spelljammer is a return to the Known Spheres setting that Jeff Grubb created for the AD&D Adventures in Space boxed set. And an official version of Bralspace (aka Spiralspace) would be most welcome.
I'll probably change my mind on this list, as soon as I post it.

There are other campaign settings I would like to see come back, but I've not added The Horde and Living Jungle: Malatra to the list, as I think the fanbase for them isn't quite big enough yet. Having said that, they are valid for DMs Guild, so I guess that someone who knows the setting could use DMs Guild to build up the fanbase.

And if other settings come back, I'll be happy to see them too.

I generally think that 5th Edition should try to have more campaign settings than both 4th Edition and 3rd Edition, to be more inclusive of gamers with different play styles.

Ravenloft, Planescape and Spelljammer are transitive settings (that can connect to other worlds) so WotC can easily use Forgotten Realms hooks to try to cross market them to new 5e fans that have only seen 5e content. I don't know how successful Curse of Stradt was, but it's the sort of thing they should be trying to replicate.

A Planescape adventure/sourcebook that has sidebars explaining how the 3e FR cosmology model and 4e FR cosmology model fit in, would be a good way to make things work for everyone who likes the Planes.

And a Spelljammer adventure/sourcebook that included portals from the worlds of Realmspace to locations on Toril would be a good way to make Realmspace work for Forgotten Realms fans that don't want to deal with flying spelljammer ships.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:30 pm

willpell wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:41 pm
3. The Io's Blood Isles
So Council of Wyrms then.
willpell wrote:
4. Oriental Adventures (either Rokugan or the loosely defined "not found in Rokugan" setting implied by the book)
The other setting would be Kara-Tur, from the original Oriental Adventures book. (I blinked and missed it, when I first read the book.)

There is also Mahasarpa, from the Oriental Adventures Web Enhancement.
willpell wrote:
5. Eberron
That has already come back. :)
willpell wrote:
6. Ravnica (haven't actually read the book, but I feel certain it needs further completion)
That has not really gone away yet.

Is there a big Ravnica plot in the CCG that you would want to see turned into a hardback adventure plot?
willpell wrote:
8. Ravenloft (it did come back once, but that's hardly enough)
I'm not sure we will be getting much more than one-shot books, for anything that is not Forgottten Realms. :?

If any more Ravenloft books come out, I'd be very interested to see what WotC does to expand what they already did.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:25 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:40 am
Lankhmar
Someone else has the licence to make Lankhmar RPG products now. They don't need Wizards of the Coast to do 5e D&D stuff. They can use the 5e SRD and the OGL.
Dread Delgath wrote:
Outdoor Survival
Outdoor Survival?

Are you talking of a 5e version of Kim Mohan's Wilderness Survival Guide?

Isn't that just part of Greyhawk?
Dread Delgath wrote:
Wilderlands
Judges Guild can do that for themselves (via the 5e SRD and OGL).

They actually have people making Wilderlands products.

I don't think they quite get the amount of publicity that they could. I think I've totally missed some of the products that have come out.

(Judges Guild could also be doing something with First Fantasy Campaign if they struck a deal with Dave Arneson's heirs. I'm sure that people would buy a Print on Demand reprint of it.)

There is a lot of potential there. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:44 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:05 pm
Horde! Malatra!
Those two Forgotten Realms sub-settings narrowly missed my top ten.

The Hordelands are very close to Faerûn, so a 5th Edition Horde hardback adventure would be relatively easy to tie into a bridging mechanism that brings in player characters from Faerûn. And if there was a bit of work put into the region, I think it would be possible to create enough of a "Player's Guide to the Hordelands" to allow for local PCs that represent a range of characters from the different tribes.

I think the lands that all border the Hordlands could all be touched upon in a "Beyond the Hordlands" section.

Malatra: The Living Jungle is another awesome thing. The alien cloaking device that hides the Malatran Peninsula is something that could be addressed in a 1st level to 20th level super adventure. The setting is supposed to be super dangerous. So players could be told to expect to have to have more than one PC before they complete the adventure.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:05 pm

Outdoor Survival is the boardgame that came out around the same time as 0e. DMs often used the Outdoor Survival boardmap as a campaign map. :cool:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:11 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:54 pm
9) Taladas - This is the Dragonlance sub-setting that Margaret Weis Productions never got a chance to bring back. I'd like to see all the Taladas themes reviewed, with a new story arc created that could work for classic Taladas fans.
That's a good one that I often overlook. I enjoyed Taladas for playing in, as it didn't feel like we had to follow an epic tale on rails, nor that we were standing in the footsteps of giants who were altering the fate of the world, while we mopped stuff up. That's not to say there aren't fun stories to be told in Ansalon, but Taladas felt more open for each table to make their own stories in.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:05 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:44 pm
Seethyr wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:05 pm
Horde! Malatra!
Those two Forgotten Realms sub-settings narrowly missed my top ten.

The Hordelands are very close to Faerûn, so a 5th Edition Horde hardback adventure would be relatively easy to tie into a bridging mechanism that brings in player characters from Faerûn. And if there was a bit of work put into the region, I think it would be possible to create enough of a "Player's Guide to the Hordelands" to allow for local PCs that represent a range of characters from the different tribes.

I think the lands that all border the Hordlands could all be touched upon in a "Beyond the Hordlands" section.

Malatra: The Living Jungle is another awesome thing. The alien cloaking device that hides the Malatran Peninsula is something that could be addressed in a 1st level to 20th level super adventure. The setting is supposed to be super dangerous. So players could be told to expect to have to have more than one PC before they complete the adventure.

I really wish WotC had the chutzpah to do exploratory settings like these once again. They were so incredibly different. Malatra wouldn’t even need a FR tag since it could be dropped into virtually any world.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Return to “Other Worlds”