[Kaddas] How much info is there on Kaddas?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Kaddas] How much info is there on Kaddas?

Post by Big Mac » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:58 am

Ripvanwormer mentioned Kaddas in his List of D&D worlds and settings:
ripvanwormer wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:51 am
Kaddas
An ancient empire. Its capital is Kaddastrei. The city of Blackwall was once part of it. From Cityscape.
Wizards of the Coast have a Cityscape Excerpt up: EDIT2: There are also maps of Blackwall, Kaddastrei and (other cities from the book) on the 2006 Compiled Archive page.

I didn't see any other mentions of Kaddas, in the excerpts other than the Blackwall excerpt, but Kaddastrei is mentioned in the Table of Contents (so maybe there is more about Kaddas there).

Ripvanwormer said that Blackwall was "once part of (Kaddas)", but the Blackwall excerpt says: "Citizens do take their duties seriously and train hard, ready to defend Blackwall and Kaddas against any invader." I don't see why the people of Blackwall would be ready to defend Kaddas, if they are not citizens of Kaddas. :? Maybe something else in the book clarifies what Rip said.

The New Spells section mentions "Boccob or Wee Jas" suggesting to me that this book would be set on Oerth. And the New Monsters section has suggestions for using the Siege Golem in Eberron and Faerûn (which makes me think that this book is set in neither of those places by default).

Has anyone seen any mentions of Kaddas elsewhere?

Did any of the Living Greyhawk regions claim it? (Did any of the Living Greyhawk regions claim any of the other places in Cityscape?)

Could Kaddas be part of the New Koratia region or some other place between the Flanaess and the Sundered Empire?

EDIT: Zeromaru X says that Kaddas is in Nerath.
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: [Kaddas] How much info is there on Kaddas?

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:18 am

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:58 am
Ripvanwormer said that Blackwall was "once part of (Kaddas)", but the Blackwall excerpt says: "Citizens do take their duties seriously and train hard, ready to defend Blackwall and Kaddas against any invader." I don't see why the people of Blackwall would be ready to defend Kaddas, if they are not citizens of Kaddas. :?
Blackwall is a military outpost of Kaddas. Its citizens are citizens of Kaddas. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote the above. Maybe I was confused by the fact that Kaddas is a remnant of a much larger empire.
Did any of the Living Greyhawk regions claim it?
No, I don't see any evidence it's part of Oerth, apart from Cityscape's use of the 3e core (Greyhawk) pantheon.
Could Kaddas be part of the New Koratia region or some other place between the Flanaess and the Sundered Empire?
I suppose it could, but Cityscape doesn't offer any hint that it is. Remember that the region between the Flanaess and the Sundered Empire is the Celestial Imperium, Oerth's answer to Kara-Tur.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Kaddas] How much info is there on Kaddas?

Post by Big Mac » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:25 am

ripvanwormer wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:18 am
Big Mac wrote:
Ripvanwormer said that Blackwall was "once part of (Kaddas)", but the Blackwall excerpt says: "Citizens do take their duties seriously and train hard, ready to defend Blackwall and Kaddas against any invader." I don't see why the people of Blackwall would be ready to defend Kaddas, if they are not citizens of Kaddas. :?
Blackwall is a military outpost of Kaddas. Its citizens are citizens of Kaddas. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote the above. Maybe I was confused by the fact that Kaddas is a remnant of a much larger empire.
Thanks for double-checking, Ripvanwormer. I really appreciate it (as you know your stuff and when I see something that doesn't look right, it's often me misinterpreting things).

I wonder if you thought that Blackwall was now outside Kaddas proper, at the time. What with the duke being a nominal ruler, I guess that people could run Blackwall as working like an external self-governing city-state (like Gibraltar or the Orkney Islands). :?
ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Did any of the Living Greyhawk regions claim it?
No, I don't see any evidence it's part of Oerth, apart from Cityscape's use of the 3e core (Greyhawk) pantheon.
Thanks. I guess I'm clutching at straws there then. But with Greyhawk-lite not giving us too much straws are all I have to go on sometimes. :)
ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
I suppose it could, but Cityscape doesn't offer any hint that it is. Remember that the region between the Flanaess and the Sundered Empire is the Celestial Imperium, Oerth's answer to Kara-Tur.
That's true.

I suppose they don't really tell you what the humans of Blackwall look like, so the culture there could be open to a certain level of interpretation. But dukes don't sound very Asian-like to me.

I guess my next thing to wonder is: how well Kaddas would work as a nation on one of the other celestial bodies in Greyspace. ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Other Worlds”