[Innistrad] A Planeswalker's Guide to Innistrad

"There are some who call me...Tim!" Discuss Magic: The Gathering campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Innistrad] A Planeswalker's Guide to Innistrad

Post by Big Mac » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:19 pm

I found another series of online articles, called A Planeswalker's Guide to Innistrad. Here is the introduction:
A Planeswalker's Guide to Innistrad wrote:When the light fades and the moon rises over Innistrad, humanity becomes the universal prey.

Packs of werewolves emerge like the tide, drawn out by the moon, their humanity washed away by animal rage. The vampire families bare their fangs at the scent of human blood. Hordes of the walking dead lurch across the manors and moors, driven by an innate hunger for the living. Alchemically created abominations twitch to life in alchemists' laboratories. Geists haunt the huddled human towns and terrify travelers along the dark crossways in between. From Innistrad's deeper chasms, powerful demons and impish devils plot humanity's downfall, their influence spreading into all echelons of human society.

The humans of Innistrad have done their best to fight back. They form torch-wielding mobs to cleanse the abominations with fire. They train specialized holy warriors, called cathars, to strike back against the supernatural horrors. Most of all, they brandish the power of their faith in the Church of Avacyn.

But the weapons of commoners, soldiers, and priests are all failing. Their whispered prayers and runic wards don't hold their same power. Talismans of silver no longer frighten nocturnal horrors. The holy symbol of Avacyn no longer keeps trespassers from disturbing the entombed dead. Things are getting progressively worse for humanity across the four major regions of the plane.
It might be worth looking at, alongside Plane Shift: Innistrad. Anyhoo, here are the parts of A Planeswalker's Guide to Innistrad:
  • A Planeswalker's Guide to Innistrad - Introduction: Innistrad's Four Provinces (Gavony, Kessig, Stensia, Nephalia), The Church of Avacyn (The Blessed Sleep), The Moon of Silver and Innistrad's Seasons (Harvest Moon, Hunter's Moon, New Moon), The Demons of Innistrad (The Silver Collar, The Skirsdag) Ascend into Darkness.
  • A Planeswalker's Guide to Innistrad: Gavony and Humans - Gavony, Thraben, the High City (Outer Wall, Merchant's Wall, Child's Wall, Fang Wall, Bloodless Wall), Cathedral of Avacyn (Chapel of Noble Peers, Midvast Hall, Common Cloisters), The Helvault, The River Kirch, The Voice of the Moon, Moonchanters, Seraphic Shrouds (Gavony's Geography), Gavony Parishes, Nearheath (Videns, Wittal, Effalen), The Moorland, Gisa and Geralf, Trostad, Grafs, Blessed Grafs, The Estwald Murders, The Humans of Innistrad, Community, Travel (Chapel, Parish, Crossway, Crossway Altar), Defense (The Church of Avacyn), The Blessed Sleep, Theological Underpinnings, Church and State, Church Hierarchy (Avacyn, Avacyn's Host, The Flight of Goldnight, The Flight of Alabaster, The Flight of Herons), Clerical Ranks (Lunarch, Bishop, Mayor, Priest, Monk), Cathars (Lunar-smiths, Inquisitors, Parish-blades, Runechanters).
  • Planeswalker's Guide to Innistrad: Kessig and Werewolves - Kessig, Ulvenwald, the Misty Wood, Kessiger Culture: Commoners and Rural Laborers (Kessigers and Avacyn, The Curfew of Silver, Etiquette in a World of Supernaturals, The Sleep Revel), Supernatural Creatures of Kessig (Werewolves in Kessig, Geists in Kessig, Other Supernaturals in Kessig), Locations in Kessig (The Breakneck Ride, Lambholt, the Threatened Pasture, Hollowhenge, the Lost Capital, Devils' Breach), Werewolves, Killer or Victim: Perspectives on the Lycanthrope, Human Form: A Tenuous Hold on Civility, Beast Form: The Natural Killing Machine, The Transformation, Aftermath, Repentants vs. Wantons: Living with the Curse, Religion: Warding Against the Change, Lycanthropes and the Moon (Blessed silver, Silver and the Moon), The Cause and Nature of Lycanthropy (The True Cause, Transmitting the Curse: The Call and the First Hunt, Detection, No Known Cure), Howlpacks (The Krallenhorde: Innistrad's Largest Howlpack, Mondronen: Carnal Ritualists, Leeraug: Killers of the Absent Moon).
  • A Planeswalker's Guide to Innistrad: Stensia and Vampires - Stensia, Geier Reach, Mountain passes (Ziel Pass, Hofsaddel and Needle's Eye, Getander Pass and Kruin Pass), Stensia's valleys (Outland valleys, Inland valleys), The Farbogs, Ashmouth, Somberwald, Human Life and Culture (Sheep and shepherding, Stoicism, Village moats, cottage trees, and welcome mirrors), Vampire Culture (Noble benefactors, Social creatures, Demand for finery, Court of the Vampire King/Queen), Important Vampire Locations (Castle Falkenrath, The Voldaren Estate, Markov Manor), Personalities of Stensia (Cosper Lowe, Captain of the Silbern Guard, Kastinne, the Demon Killer, Traft and his attendants, Rem Karolus, Blade of the Inquisitors), Vampires, The Nature of Vampirism (Vampiric traits, Vampiric powers, Vampiric magic), Vampiric Vulnerabilities (Silver, the soothsayer, Avacyn's power), The Unquenchable Thirst (Blood trade, Feeding and siring, Only the gifted, The bite), Bloodlines (Markov, Falkenrath, Voldaren, Stromkirk).
  • A Planeswalker's Guide to Innistrad: Nephalia and the Undead - Nephalia, Nearly Treeless, Waters (Silver Beach), Port Towns of Nephalia, Havengul (Elgaud Grounds, Corpse Trade, Ludevic), Drunau (The Fauchard, Merchants within Drunau), Selhoff (The Tide and the Nebelgast, The River Ospid and the Morkrut), The Erdwal, Jenrik's Tower, The Undead, The Unhallowed (Ghoulcallers, Fengraf, Seagraf, Diregraf), The Skaab, Geists (Malevolent and Benevolent, Avacyn as Psychopomp, Material and Immaterial, Faith's Power, White-Aligned Geists, Blue-Aligned Geists, Black-Aligned Geists, Red-Aligned Geists, Green-Aligned Geists).
I've not compared this to Plane Shift: Innistrad yet, so I don't know if there are any parts of Innistrad that are covered by this, but not Plane Shift: Innistrad. There is also the fact that this is a much older document, so might not cover some things that have been created for Innistrad since then. But I think it could be good for handouts.

The range of undead in this are pretty interesting. I'll have to go back and have another look at the PlaneShift document sometime.
Last edited by Big Mac on Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [Innistrad] A Planeswalker's Guide to Innistrad

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:21 am

The articles would be worth looking through for the art alone. Thanks for sharing the links.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Innistrad] A Planeswalker's Guide to Innistrad

Post by Big Mac » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:59 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:21 am
The articles would be worth looking through for the art alone. Thanks for sharing the links.
I really like the graphic design of the headers too.

If I was more into using Magic: The Gathering, as a roleplaying setting, I'd probably import all the text and art into a PDF, give it a table of contents and try to lay it out in a similar way to the Plane Shift documents.

I think that a Ravenloft fan might want to raid one or more of the provinces from Innistrad and use them as Domains of Dread.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”