[Dragon Fist/Flying Swordsman]OA Campaign Building Help

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

[Dragon Fist/Flying Swordsman]OA Campaign Building Help

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:15 am

I need some help on how I can transform Tianguo into a Chinese influenced Mahasarpa. I need suggestions on which of the 3rd Edition OA/Rokugan "Clans" works best each of Tianguo's Provinces, here is my best effort so far:

Bei Ji - Dragon
Bi -
Hou - Mantis?
Jing - Crab
Qu Ti -
Shang Shen
Tou - Mantis?
Tui - Unicorn
Xin - Imperial family

I would like some suggestions on how best to incorporate Flying Swordsman into this setting.
Last edited by nick_crenshaw82 on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: [Dragon Fist/Flying Swordsman]OA Campaign Building Help

Post by agathokles » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:35 am

How would a Rokugan -> DragonFist mapping help in making Tianguo into Mahasarpa?
I'm probably missing something, so I think a bit more context is needed.

GP

nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:28 pm

I am talking about using the material in the 3rd Edition OA book in a similar fashion to what James Wyatt did for India (Mahasarpa) but for China.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:06 am

nick_crenshaw82 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:28 pm
I am talking about using the material in the 3rd Edition OA book in a similar fashion to what James Wyatt did for India (Mahasarpa) but for China.
Ah. So you are talking about the second paragraph from the section called "The Seven Kingdoms":
Mahasarpa > The Seven Kingdoms wrote:The Seven Kingdoms mirror the seven Great Clans of Rokugan, allowing a human character to gain a bonus class skill while limiting the character’s favored class. Certain sects and organizations within the Seven Kingdoms likewise parallel the families and schools of the Great Clans, but these parallels are not exact. These similarities provide opportunities for characters to adopt many of the prestige classes described in Oriental Adventures, but the nine prestige classes described in the last two chapters of that book are not available in the Mahasarpa campaign setting.
If I am right then Rokugan itself is not important. Just working out how to map the stuff that goes with each Oriental Adventures clan to Tiaunguo.

I don't see a great deal of information about the individual Lands of Tianguo in the Dragon Fist PDF. It's about on the same level as the Seven Kingdoms of Mahasarpa. So I'm not sure which clans fit which Tiaunguo lands. But if you have nailed down some of them, it's possibly just a matter of seeing what is left.

Ashtagon might be able to help. She is good at this sort of thing. She lined up some other stuff from different countries.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:27 am

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:06 am
nick_crenshaw82 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:28 pm
Ah. So you are talking about the second paragraph from the section called "The Seven Kingdoms":
Mahasarpa > The Seven Kingdoms wrote:The Seven Kingdoms mirror the seven Great Clans of Rokugan, allowing a human character to gain a bonus class skill while limiting the character’s favored class. Certain sects and organizations within the Seven Kingdoms likewise parallel the families and schools of the Great Clans, but these parallels are not exact. These similarities provide opportunities for characters to adopt many of the prestige classes described in Oriental Adventures, but the nine prestige classes described in the last two chapters of that book are not available in the Mahasarpa campaign setting.
Correct
If I am right then Rokugan itself is not important. Just working out how to map the stuff that goes with each Oriental Adventures clan to Tiaunguo.

I don't see a great deal of information about the individual Lands of Tianguo in the Dragon Fist PDF. It's about on the same level as the Seven Kingdoms of Mahasarpa. So I'm not sure which clans fit which Tiaunguo lands. But if you have nailed down some of them, it's possibly just a matter of seeing what is left.

Ashtagon might be able to help. She is good at this sort of thing. She lined up some other stuff from different countries.
Seeing how you can express what I'm trying to do better than me could you ask her or should I?

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:05 am

Can you point me to a reference indicating anything about Tianguo's provinces and their unique culture?
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:09 am

The Nine Provinces:
  • Bei Ji: mountainous, home of the Righteous Fist (masters of unarmed combat, non-spellcasting monks), saw a lot of war against barbarians (horse lord types). Contain the White Tiger sacred mountain.
  • Bi: coastal, many fishermen. Contains the Green Dragon sacred mountain.
  • Hou: agricultural province, rice and iron trade, some river pirates.
  • Jing: borderlands towards the jungle, guards against jungle barbarians. Quite militaristic, with a number of defense forts.
  • Qu Ti: large province, half forest and half wheat plains. Almost depopulated to conscript soldiers. Contains the Black Tortoise sacred mountain.
  • Shang Shen: agricultural province, home of the Iron Monkey rebels (a rural Thief society). Also center of the past kingdom of Mu.
  • Tou: agricultural province protected by impassable terrain, home of the Dragon's Breath wizard society. Also contains the Red Phoenix sacred mountain.
  • Tui: borderlands province against the horse barbarians. Very militaristic.
  • Xin: central province, seat of the Emperor and the White Lotus society (good shamans). Prone to floods. Contains the Huang Ren sacred mountain.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:14 pm

Now, considering the Rokugan clans, you have the following:
  • Crab: Fighter (of the crude type) -> Qu Ti, perhaps.
  • Crane: Samurai (noble fighter type, diplomats) -> probably Xin, since it is the home of the Imperial government.
  • Dragon: Monk (mystic knowlege/esoteric type) -> works for the Righteous Fist, so Bei Ji.
  • Lion: Samurai (more militaristic) -> possibly the Jing province due to its militaristic bent, and Tui for the same reason.
  • Phoenix: Shugenja (wizards) -> the Tou province, since it is the home of the Dragon's Breath (however, those are Wu Jen)
  • Scorpion: Rogue (more spies/ninja) -> probably Xin, for the same reason as the Crane.
  • Unicorn: Barbarian (mounted barbarians) -> really these would be the Yi Barbarians, but you might adapt it to Tui.
  • Mantis: Fighters (mariners) -> these would work for Shang Shen's Iron Monkeys, maybe.
  • Lower-class: no favored class -> certainly Shang Shen.
However, it does not make too much sense, because Barbarians, Samurai, and Shugenja are not typical of Tianguo.

Consider that the main character classes in Tianguo are:
  • Righteous Fists (Monk) -> Monk, probably Henshin Mystics
  • Heavenly Gates (Zen archers) -> OA suggests Samurai with Precise Shot for a minor clan focusing on archery. Possibly follow up with Kensei
  • Red Tigers (Swordsmen/duelists) -> Fighter/Kensei
  • Dragon's Breath (Wu Jen) -> Wu Jen (but you may want to make them Shugenja instead to exploit the class)
  • Great Immortals (Yang-focused Wu Jen) -> Wu Jen
  • White Lotus (Shamans following good ancestors and heavenly beings) -> Shaman
  • Black Lotus (Shamans following bad ancestors and demons) -> Shaman
  • Iron Monkeys (Thieves, rural rebels) -> Thieves, Mantis Mercenary
  • Ghost Eaters (Thieves, similar to yakuza in style but also operate as ghost hunters) -> Yakuza, Witch Hunter
  • Eunuch Sorcerer -> Eunuch Warlock
  • Imperial Army Officer -> possibly Akodo Champion
  • Yi Barbarian (Steppe nomads) -> Unicorn Barbarian with their prestige class
  • Neeg Barbarian (jungle hunters) -> possibly Ranger/Barbarian
Last edited by agathokles on Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:25 pm

Finally, considering all the above, I'd suggest the following:
  • Bei Ji: Dragon
  • Bi: Mantis
  • Hou: Mantis
  • Jing: Lion
  • Qu Ti: Crab
  • Shang Shen: Mantis
  • Tou: Phoenix
  • Tui: Unicorn
  • Xin: Crane, Scorpion

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:45 pm

EDIT: I got ninjad by agathokles, who sounds like he knows more than me.
nick_crenshaw82 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:15 am
I need some help on how I can transform Tianguo into a Chinese influenced Mahasarpa. I need suggestions on which of the 3rd Edition OA/Rokugan "Clans" works best each of Tianguo's Provinces, here is my best effort so far:

Being Ji - Dragon
Bi -
Hou - Mantis?
Jing - Crab
Qu Ti -
Shang Shen
Tou - Mantis?
Tui - Unicorn
Xin - Imperial family
I've been trying to work out how James Wyatt might have done the translation (from Rokugan to Mahasarpa) but have not been able to infer a link yet.

I looked up Chines clans (and found an article called Chinese kin. So it looks like this might be something that was only done in Southern China (or mainly done in Southern China).

But I did see there are five Sacred Mountains:
  • Being Ji - White Tiger Mountain (and Jade Mountain)
  • Bi - Green Dragon Mountain
  • Qu Ti - Black Tortoise Mountain
  • Tou - Red Phoenix Mountain
  • Xin - Huang Ren Mountain
If I was going to try to add a bunch of clans to Dragon Fist, I'd probably be inclined to use White Tiger, Green Dragon, Black Tortoise , Red Phoenix and Huang Ren as clan names, instead of five of the Rokugan clan names. (Although I'm not sure what "Huang Ren" might be.)

Looking at the other four provinces, one of them has notable landmark that people can visit:
  • Hou - Delta of the Nine Maidens
That does leave you with three provinces without landmarks:
  • Jing
  • Shang Shen
  • Tui
There is also Yi, the land of the Yi Barbarians, to the south. I don't know if that would need a clan.
nick_crenshaw82 wrote:
I would like some suggestions on how best to incorporate Flying Swordsman into this setting.
I don't think I know Flying Swordsman.

What sort of stuff does it have, that you are trying to incorporate? Would you throw the entire campaign setting down on the same map a the Dragon Fist setting?

Or is it something else you would incorporate?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:19 pm

agathokles wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:14 pm
Now, considering the Rokugan clans, you have the following:
  • Crab: Fighter (of the crude type) -> Qu Ti, perhaps.
  • Crane: Samurai (noble fighter type, diplomats) -> probably Xin, since it is the home of the Imperial government.
  • Dragon: Monk (mystic knowlege/esoteric type) -> works for the Righteous Fist, so Bei Ji.
  • Lion: Samurai (more militaristic) -> possibly the Jing province due to its militaristic bent, and Tui for the same reason.
  • Phoenix: Shugenja (wizards) -> the Tou province, since it is the home of the Dragon's Breath (however, those are Wu Jen)
  • Scorpion: Rogue (more spies/ninja) -> probably Xin, for the same reason as the Crane.
  • Unicorn: Barbarian (mounted barbarians) -> really these would be the Yi Barbarians, but you might adapt it to Tui.
  • Mantis: Fighters (mariners) -> these would work for Shang Shen's Iron Monkeys, maybe.
  • Lower-class: no favored class -> certainly Shang Shen.
However, it does not make too much sense, because Barbarians, Samurai, and Shugenja are not typical of Tianguo.
This isn't Japan in China, it's China in China. James Wyatt's Mahasarpa did the same thing I'm trying to do but with an India flavor. There are no Samurai, "Crane clan" new favored class will be Courtier while "Lion clan" will be Fighter. There will be no Shugenja, this will be replaced by a less martial cleric that I'm calling a Priest. If you can think of a better class for Mongols than Barbarian please tell me.
Big Mac wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:45 pm
EDIT: I got ninjad by agathokles, who sounds like he knows more than me.
nick_crenshaw82 wrote:

Being Ji - Dragon
Bi -
Hou - Mantis?
Jing - Crab
Qu Ti -
Shang Shen
Tou - Mantis?
Tui - Unicorn
Xin - Imperial family
I've been trying to work out how James Wyatt might have done the translation (from Rokugan to Mahasarpa) but have not been able to infer a link yet.

I looked up Chines clans (and found an article called Chinese kin. So it looks like this might be something that was only done in Southern China (or mainly done in Southern China).

But I did see there are five Sacred Mountains:
  • Being Ji - White Tiger Mountain (and Jade Mountain)
  • Bi - Green Dragon Mountain
  • Qu Ti - Black Tortoise Mountain
  • Tou - Red Phoenix Mountain
  • Xin - Huang Ren Mountain
If I was going to try to add a bunch of clans to Dragon Fist, I'd probably be inclined to use White Tiger, Green Dragon, Black Tortoise , Red Phoenix and Huang Ren as clan names, instead of five of the Rokugan clan names. (Although I'm not sure what "Huang Ren" might be.)

Looking at the other four provinces, one of them has notable landmark that people can visit:
  • Hou - Delta of the Nine Maidens
That does leave you with three provinces without landmarks:
  • Jing
  • Shang Shen
  • Tui
There is also Yi, the land of the Yi Barbarians, to the south. I don't know if that would need a clan.
I don't plan on using a clan system, instead I'm going to keep the provinces but have them ruled by noble families and only keep the "fluff" of the Rokugan clans.
nick_crenshaw82 wrote:
I don't think I know Flying Swordsman.

What sort of stuff does it have, that you are trying to incorporate? Would you throw the entire campaign setting down on the same map a the Dragon Fist setting?

Or is it something else you would incorporate?
If you can find a pdf for Flying Swordsmen I plan on using the various organizations from that book.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:39 pm

nick_crenshaw82 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:19 pm
This isn't Japan in China, it's China in China. James Wyatt's Mahasarpa did the same thing I'm trying to do but with an India flavor. There are no Samurai, "Crane clan" new favored class will be Courtier while "Lion clan" will be Fighter. There will be no Shugenja, this will be replaced by a less martial cleric that I'm calling a Priest. If you can think of a better class for Mongols than Barbarian please tell me.
Ok, that's a premise I definitely agree with. My knowledge of Mahasarpa is very limited -- I know I read the pdf when it got out, but that's been quite a few years ago. As I said, I'd use the Barbarian class for the Yi Barbarians, who are Tianguo's Mongols, rather than as people of the Empire -- that's a different approach w.r.t. OA, where they fit Barbarians within the Empire as the Unicorn clan.

BTW, I'd probably replace "clans" with societies, such as those in DragonFist and Flying Swordsmen, for use by PCs.

@David: Flying Swordsmen is an OGL retroclone of DragonFist. As such, it is not directly compatible with 3e, but it presents a campaign world that is somewhat more detailed than Tianguo.

However, back to the conversion ideas, if you plan to keep the Rokugan clans' fluff for the provincial ruling families, then I'd consider the following:
  • Lion: a clan rooted in military strategists; they work well as the rulers of Tui or Bei Ji, where large scale wars against the Yi are fought.
  • Crab: a clan of defensive fighters, they would work well with Jing's line of defensive keeps.
  • Dragon: a clan of secretive mystics. They would work well as patrons of the Dragon's Breath society in Tou.
  • Crane: a clan of diplomats and artists. They would work as rulers of a more peaceful province, such as Bi or Hou.
  • Phoenix: a pious clan. They would work well as rulers of Xin, but if you want to leave that to the Imperial family, then Bi or Hou or Qu Ti could work as well.
  • Scorpion: a clan fond of intrigue and spies. They would fit in Shang Shen, where their devious natures can be confronted with the more direct attitude of the Iron Monkey rebels.
  • Unicorn: they don't really fit in Tianguo, since they barbarous ways mirror too much those of the Yi. Still, Tui would be the province where the inhabitants of Tianguo could raise significant cavalry forces.
  • Mantis: as a family focusing on naval trade and warfare, they fit as rulers of Bi or Hou.

nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:19 pm

agathokles wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:39 pm
nick_crenshaw82 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:19 pm
Ok, that's a premise I definitely agree with. My knowledge of Mahasarpa is very limited -- I know I read the pdf when it got out, but that's been quite a few years ago. As I said, I'd use the Barbarian class for the Yi Barbarians, who are Tianguo's Mongols, rather than as people of the Empire -- that's a different approach w.r.t. OA, where they fit Barbarians within the Empire as the Unicorn clan.

BTW, I'd probably replace "clans" with societies, such as those in DragonFist and Flying Swordsmen, for use by PCs.

@David: Flying Swordsmen is an OGL retroclone of DragonFist. As such, it is not directly compatible with 3e, but it presents a campaign world that is somewhat more detailed than Tianguo.

However, back to the conversion ideas, if you plan to keep the Rokugan clans' fluff for the provincial ruling families, then I'd consider the following:
  • Lion: a clan rooted in military strategists; they work well as the rulers of Tui or Bei Ji, where large scale wars against the Yi are fought.
  • Crab: a clan of defensive fighters, they would work well with Jing's line of defensive keeps.
  • Dragon: a clan of secretive mystics. They would work well as patrons of the Dragon's Breath society in Tou.
  • Crane: a clan of diplomats and artists. They would work as rulers of a more peaceful province, such as Bi or Hou.
  • Phoenix: a pious clan. They would work well as rulers of Xin, but if you want to leave that to the Imperial family, then Bi or Hou or Qu Ti could work as well.
  • Scorpion: a clan fond of intrigue and spies. They would fit in Shang Shen, where their devious natures can be confronted with the more direct attitude of the Iron Monkey rebels.
  • Unicorn: they don't really fit in Tianguo, since they barbarous ways mirror too much those of the Yi. Still, Tui would be the province where the inhabitants of Tianguo could raise significant cavalry forces.
  • Mantis: as a family focusing on naval trade and warfare, they fit as rulers of Bi or Hou.
This was my logic for my choices:

Bei Ji - Dragon - The Jade Monastery, the one shown on the map, is in the mountains right on the border. There was no Tibet on the map to use.

Hou - Mantis? - They have pirate that live on the delta islands of the Nine Maidens River.

Jing - Crab - My thoughts were the same as your.

Tou - Mantis? - Their economy is maritime based

Tui - Unicorn - I saw them as similar to Manchuria or the Manchu, and ethnic group similar to the Mongols. I think that the Horselord Barbarian class from Dragon Magazine #338 could work better than the normal Conan style Barbarian.

I was also planning on using the religion (the Golden Soul) from Cathay: Jewel of the East and using the Cloistered Cleric for my Priests.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:51 pm

The problem with associating Bei Ji with the Dragon "clan" is that in the Rokugan OA material, the Dragon clan is mostly focused on esoteric knowledge, whereas the Jade Monastery is the center of the Righteous Fist, a monastic order that is not particularly esoteric -- their monks are, in the DragonFist material, Fighters who favor an unarmed style.

As for Tou, DragonFist says it has an economy with an healthy maritime component, not that it is maritime based (like Bi, instead). Also, its more interesting feature is the presence of the Dragon's Breath headquarters. Of course Mantis could work here, but the problem is that Mantis, as a commoner-oriented maritime clan, works well in several other provinces. So, assuming you want each clan to be mapped to a ruling family, I'd rather assign Mantis to the Bi or Hou provinces. If you prefer to have Mantis in Hou, Crane can work as Bi instead -- in this case, the Mantis family protects the river pirates.

GP

nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:14 pm

agathokles wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:51 pm
The problem with associating Bei Ji with the Dragon "clan" is that in the Rokugan OA material, the Dragon clan is mostly focused on esoteric knowledge, whereas the Jade Monastery is the center of the Righteous Fist, a monastic order that is not particularly esoteric -- their monks are, in the DragonFist material, Fighters who favor an unarmed style.

As for Tou, DragonFist says it has an economy with an healthy maritime component, not that it is maritime based (like Bi, instead). Also, its more interesting feature is the presence of the Dragon's Breath headquarters. Of course Mantis could work here, but the problem is that Mantis, as a commoner-oriented maritime clan, works well in several other provinces. So, assuming you want each clan to be mapped to a ruling family, I'd rather assign Mantis to the Bi or Hou provinces. If you prefer to have Mantis in Hou, Crane can work as Bi instead -- in this case, the Mantis family protects the river pirates.

GP
I want to state that all the info I'm using is only from the first chapter, so a lot of info is escaping me. As such I will defer to you no some of this. I'll keep Dragon in Tou but I want to keep Mantis in Hou, so using your suggestions means that Crane will be in Bi, and Phoenix in Qu Ti. I also want to keep Unicorn in Tui so Lion will be in Bei Ji. That leaves Crab in Jing and Scorpion in Shang Shen.

Now I would like some suggestions on how to incorporate the following organizations from the Flying Swordsmen into my Tianguo campaign:
WARRIOR SOCIETIES
Imperial Guards: While the Chen Dynasty has been weakened, several legions still protect the imperial family and the capital area. Their school is open to all who wish to join and teaches all things martial. Full members must be Fighters, and the majority have the Guardian profile.

Jade Fists: This group of Martial Artists and Ancestral Mediums believes in not only perfecting their unarmed combat skills, but also in helping others. They tend to be wanderers and mendicants, seeking to help others in need, although they maintain at least one monastery in each province.

Autumn Moon League: This group of mostly Martial Artists seeks to perfect their physical condition through martial arts as a way to achieve not only self-purity but also superiority over others. They congregate in small schools, each led by a Master of the League. The Masters in each province gather annually to elect a Grand Master for that province. Once a decade, the Grand Masters convene to select their Master of the Falling Leaves, who leads the League from the headquarters in Xidun, Ming Province.

Bamboo Brotherhood: This is a group of Weapon Masters devoted to the study of the staff, club, great club, monk's stick, double stick, and three-section staff. They are quite traditional, and proud of those traditions. The Brotherhood is believed to be the oldest militant society in the empire.

Swallow-tail Sabers: This is a group of Weapon Masters devoted to the study of the saber, nine-ring sword, or war sword. Members seek personal perfection in their fighting style, and often duel with others to prove their prowess.

Pillars of Heaven: This is a group of Weapon Masters devoted to the study of the spear, lance, halberd, tiger fork, and monk's spade. They are a quite popular group, and are always on the lookout for new students willing to learn the way of spear-based weapons.

Eyes of Wang Zhou: This group of Weapon Masters are devoted strictly to the study of the straight sword. They are typically from the upper classes, and are quite arrogant about their skills. Many refuse to duel other Weapon Masters, believing that to accept a challenge is to question their own ability, a practice that goes against the core of their teaching.

Society of the Vermillion Pagoda: When the rebel Han Ji-Shen crushed the Imperial Guards and sought to remove Emperor An Ming five years ago, a group of Xia led by Animist Shaman Ding Chun-Fen rallied together to defend the emperor. They maintain fortified temples in the Capital and on the island of Jing, and are fierce defenders of the Chen family. They welcome anyone to fight alongside them to defend the imperial house.

RELIGIOUS AND MAGICAL ORGANIZATIONS
Bell and Lotus: This organization is for non-profile, Ancestral Medium and Animist Shamans. Their goals are to heal sickness, to serve the Celestial Bureaucracy, and protect others. Bell and Lotus Shamans tend small shrines in each town or city, and run one infirmary in each major city.

Black Drum Order: This organization is for non-profile and Demonist Shamans. Like their counterparts the Bell and Lotus, they believe in the Celestial Bureaucracy, but serve the Ten Kings of Hell. Most of them actively seek to punish wrongdoers as the Jade Emperor commands demons to do; others find dealing with demons preferable to the agents of the Jade Emperor and their overly rigid strictures of morality. A few are simply evil, and use demonic powers to further their own selfish agendas.

Spoken Truth Sect: This group of mostly non-profile Shamans believe in Karma. Their magical power derives not from spirits but from qi developed through virtuous conduct in a previous life. They preach that the cycle of existence can be broken by reciting certain prayers at important moments in one’s life, and immediately before death. This sect is fairly popular with Mystic Archer Fighters, the lower classes and criminals, but has faced resistance from the upper classes, as it is a recent import from the Southern Continent.

Inner Light: These Yang Magicians spread a message that immortality can be achieved by anyone who cultivates the active principle of Yang. Their leader, Fu Long Zhi, is 672 years old but appears to be a man in his middle fifties. Members favor flashy fire and metal spells, and tend toward an aggressive and prideful outlook. They are more popular in urban than rural areas.

Mystic Guardians: This group of Animist Shamans, Taoist Wizards and Ghost Hunter Thieves exist to battle evil spirits and exorcise demons. They are more focused on practical action than with philosophical or theological ideals. While they have few followers among the lay population, their services are sought out when spirits beset a household or town.

Silver Road: This group of Taoist Wizards believes that balance between the cosmic forces leads to immortality. As such they practice magic of all five elements, so that they can act properly when Yin is called for, and when Yang is needed. They serve as astrologers, mediators, and matchmakers, pairing up couples with complementary Yin and Yang.

Falling Rain: These Yin Sorceresses and Eunuch Sorcerers believe that Yin will lead them to immortality. Members are mostly female, subtle in their actions and conservative in nature. They tend to favor earth and water magics, and any spells that have subtle effects.

The Five Elemental Schools: Wu Jens who study a single element as a means to understand the universe and the self tend to join one of the Elemental Schools. Members belong to the college of their chosen element, though the teachings of each college are similar. The colleges are as follows:
Yellow Unicorns: Earth (Longho, Xin Prov.)*
Red Phoenixes: Fire (Hao, Tou Prov.)*
White Tigers: Metal (Yojeng, Bei Ji Prov.)*
Black Turtles: Water (Baoxin, Qu Ti Prov.)*
Green Dragons: Wood (Bilu, Bi Prov.)*
*(Provinces have already been changed to match the Five Sacred Mountains.)

SECRET SOCIETIES AND CRIMINAL GROUPS
Blue Scarf Snakes: The origin of the Blue Scarf Snakes was a peasant rebellion long ago. While the rebellion was crushed, the surviving members formed a secret society of agitators and saboteurs. They serve the peasants, trying to protect them from the excessive greed of the nobility. Members are typically Outlaws, although any lower-class character may join.

Silent Walkers: This group was originally formed when a plague of undead swamped the city of Hofung in De Province. The original Silent Walkers were Ghost Hunter Thieves, and many members still are. However, once the undead threat was dealt with, they turned to extortion and smuggling operations to maintain the status and benefits they had come to enjoy. They are tolerated due to their allegiance with the Mystic Guardians, but the authorities are constantly seeking to oppose their non-undead related businesses.

Golden Seal Tong: This group was a criminal organization from the beginning. They specialize in the opium trade, but have also been known to branch out into other illicit businesses. They have a reputation for thuggery, and they are constantly battling with the Silent Walkers for territory. Members are usually non-profile Thieves or Fighters.

Outlaws of Gong Du: This is a group of assorted Xia (any class and profile); many have either been sentenced for crimes or are wanted on suspicion of crimes. They have banded together on Gong Du Mountain in Wei Province, and have resisted all efforts by the authorities to subdue them. They are fiercely loyal to one another, and welcome anyone who can impress them with their martial or magical skill, or their criminal record. Members sometimes travel abroad, seeking skilled Xia who might join their band, and they are not above framing potential recruits for some crime in an attempt to force them into joining the band.

Palace Warlocks: Emperors of the Chen Dynasty used eunuchs as servants for the imperial wives and concubines. Many of the eunuch leaders studied Yin magic and became Eunuch Sorcerers. They control the young emperor through his regent, but are careful to hide their powers to avoid suspicion. An earlier cabal of Eunuch Sorcerers was exposed and executed nearly a century ago, and this group plans to avoid the mistakes of their predecessors.

Wing Kong: This criminal organization thrives on the slave trade, but also deals in dark arcane arts. They kidnap, buy and sell slaves, run brothels, and also serve as merchants of harmful spells. Low-level members are mostly Fighters and Thieves. The Wing Kong's leadership consists only of non-profile Wizards, Yang Magicians and Demonist Shamans.

Hidden Cloud: An outlaw society of all types of Thieves, the Hidden Cloud is opposed to the bureaucracy, believing that it has become corrupt over time. Their goal is to bring down the very structure of the Empire. To accomplish this, they use harassment and intimidation of bureaucrats and scholars who work for the government, thereby disrupting the cogs of the great machine. They generally have no problem with feudal governments or direct rule by monarchs, only with the cumbersome bureaucracies that manage affairs in the empire.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:23 pm

nick_crenshaw82 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:14 pm
Imperial Guards: While the Chen Dynasty has been weakened, several legions still protect the imperial family and the capital area. Their school is open to all who wish to join and teaches all things martial. Full members must be Fighters, and the majority have the Guardian profile.
Easy, the imperial army exists in Tianguo too. It is controlled by the Eunuch Sorcerers, the Ministers of the Four Wings, for the Emperor.
Jade Fists: This group of Martial Artists and Ancestral Mediums believes in not only perfecting their unarmed combat skills, but also in helping others. They tend to be wanderers and mendicants, seeking to help others in need, although they maintain at least one monastery in each province.
These look analogous to the Righteous Fists of the Jade Monastery, so they are easily adapted.
Autumn Moon League: This group of mostly Martial Artists seeks to perfect their physical condition through martial arts as a way to achieve not only self-purity but also superiority over others. They congregate in small schools, each led by a Master of the League. The Masters in each province gather annually to elect a Grand Master for that province. Once a decade, the Grand Masters convene to select their Master of the Falling Leaves, who leads the League from the headquarters in Xidun, Ming Province.

Bamboo Brotherhood: This is a group of Weapon Masters devoted to the study of the staff, club, great club, monk's stick, double stick, and three-section staff. They are quite traditional, and proud of those traditions. The Brotherhood is believed to be the oldest militant society in the empire.

Swallow-tail Sabers: This is a group of Weapon Masters devoted to the study of the saber, nine-ring sword, or war sword. Members seek personal perfection in their fighting style, and often duel with others to prove their prowess.

Pillars of Heaven: This is a group of Weapon Masters devoted to the study of the spear, lance, halberd, tiger fork, and monk's spade. They are a quite popular group, and are always on the lookout for new students willing to learn the way of spear-based weapons.

Eyes of Wang Zhou: This group of Weapon Masters are devoted strictly to the study of the straight sword. They are typically from the upper classes, and are quite arrogant about their skills. Many refuse to duel other Weapon Masters, believing that to accept a challenge is to question their own ability, a practice that goes against the core of their teaching.

Society of the Vermillion Pagoda: When the rebel Han Ji-Shen crushed the Imperial Guards and sought to remove Emperor An Ming five years ago, a group of Xia led by Animist Shaman Ding Chun-Fen rallied together to defend the emperor. They maintain fortified temples in the Capital and on the island of Jing, and are fierce defenders of the Chen family. They welcome anyone to fight alongside them to defend the imperial house.
The Society of the Vermillion Pagoda doesn't fit in Tianguo, unless you make it as an opponent of the PCs -- a group of evil martial artists devoted to the Emperor. The other societies are variations on the theme of the Red Tigers, and are easily added. I'd probably consider the Swallow-tail Sabers and the Eyes of Wang Zhou as simply foils for the Red Tigers themselves, while the Pillars of Heaven and the Bamboo Brotherhood could be new societies.
I'd set the Bamboo Brotherhood as heirs of the Mu kingdom, thus in Shang Shen.

More later,
GP

nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:39 pm

agathokles wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:23 pm
nick_crenshaw82 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:14 pm
Easy, the imperial army exists in Tianguo too. It is controlled by the Eunuch Sorcerers, the Ministers of the Four Wings, for the Emperor.
I thought so too, could we use the mechanics of the Samurai for this or just remain with Fighters. Also what prestige class would work here, you earlier suggested the Akodo Champion for the officers.
agathokles wrote:
These look analogous to the Righteous Fists of the Jade Monastery, so they are easily adapted.
Should I just use the Righteous Fist in place of the Jade Fist or maybe have the Jade Fist be a splinter group of the Righteous Fist?
agathokles wrote:

The Society of the Vermillion Pagoda doesn't fit in Tianguo, unless you make it as an opponent of the PCs -- a group of evil martial artists devoted to the Emperor. The other societies are variations on the theme of the Red Tigers, and are easily added. I'd probably consider the Swallow-tail Sabers and the Eyes of Wang Zhou as simply foils for the Red Tigers themselves, while the Pillars of Heaven and the Bamboo Brotherhood could be new societies.
I'd set the Bamboo Brotherhood as heirs of the Mu kingdom, thus in Shang Shen.

More later,
GP
For The Society of the Vermillion Pagoda, it would be the first time something was created not for PCs (unless they're evil). All of the other groups could be splinter groups of the Red Tigers.

Because I want to do this for 3rd/3.5 I wonder what prestige classes would work for each group.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:46 pm

nick_crenshaw82 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:39 pm
I thought so too, could we use the mechanics of the Samurai for this or just remain with Fighters. Also what prestige class would work here, you earlier suggested the Akodo Champion for the officers.
[/quote]

Indeed, officers and champions could use the Akodo Champion. Rank and file guardsmen would be simple Samurai or Fighters.
Should I just use the Righteous Fist in place of the Jade Fist or maybe have the Jade Fist be a splinter group of the Righteous Fist?
Both would work, but it would be simpler to just use the Righteous Fist -- Flying Swordsmen can't do it because the Righteous Fist are WotC IP, but for your campaign you don't have these limitations.
Because I want to do this for 3rd/3.5 I wonder what prestige classes would work for each group.
The Kensei/Weapon Master works best for those groups.

GP

nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:01 pm

agathokles wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:46 pm
nick_crenshaw82 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:39 pm
The Kensei/Weapon Master works best for those groups.

GP
How about Autumn Moon League and Society of the Vermillion Pagoda?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:06 pm

The Emperor in Tianguo is the main source of evil, and has a direct connection to Hell. Thus, the Vermillion Pagoda could use the Tainted prestige classes from OA (there are two, IIRC).

As for the Autumn Moon League, they might use one of the Monk prestige classes, either the Henshin Mystic or the Shentao Monk.

GP

nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:08 pm

Any ideas for the Religious & Magical Organizations and the Secret Societies & Criminal Groups

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:56 pm

The religious societies are mostly equivalent to the White Lotus (Bell and Lotus), Black Lotus (Black Drum), and Heavenly Gates (Spoken Truth), as well as to the Great Immortals (Inner Light) and Dragon's Breath (Silver Road). The first two Thief organisations are also equivalent to the Iron Monkeys and Ghost Eaters, and the Palace Eunuchs are just that (use Eunuch Warlocks). I'd just keep the original ones, as I like DragonFist's fluff better than Flying Swordsmen's.
The others could be kept as they are, although the Mystic Guardians are a less interesting version of the Ghost Eaters, so I'd drop them. If you keep them, then they are the primary Witch Hunter organization, and the Ghost Eater should be primarily Yakuza.

As for prestige classes, see my above notes for the DragonFist ones.

GP

nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:25 pm

agathokles wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:14 pm
Consider that the main character classes in Tianguo are:
  • Righteous Fists (Monk) -> Monk, probably Henshin Mystics
After reading the description for this kit I think I may need to step outside of OA for new prestige classes. I'm now think of using the Animal Shen from Dragon Magazine #319 in whole or just the Dragon, Leopard, Mantis, Snake, or Tiger Shens and/or the Five Animal Fist Fighter from Quintessential Monk.
  • Heavenly Gates (Zen archers) -> OA suggests Samurai with Precise Shot for a minor clan focusing on archery. Possibly follow up with Kensei
The Order of the Bow Initiate may work better, maybe with the Zen Archery feat.
  • Red Tigers (Swordsmen/duelists) -> Fighter/Kensei
Weapon Master from Sword & Fist/OA could work or maybe do a slight mod to the Duelist
  • Dragon's Breath (Wu Jen) -> Wu Jen (but you may want to make them Shugenja instead to exploit the class)
As you already know by now I will not be using the Shugenja. I have no idea what prestige class to use
  • Great Immortals (Yang-focused Wu Jen) -> Wu Jen
Maybe the Sorcerer instead of the Wu Jen. No idea for prestige class.
  • White Lotus (Shamans following good ancestors and heavenly beings) -> Shaman
I have merged the Ancestral Speaker Cleric from Dragon #311 with the OA Shaman as seen here beyond that I have no idea for a prestige class, maybe the Spirit Speaker from Dragon #323.
  • Black Lotus (Shamans following bad ancestors and demons) -> Shaman
See above above
  • Iron Monkeys (Thieves, rural rebels) -> Thieves, Mantis Mercenary
Could use the Thief-Acrobat for this.
  • Ghost Eaters (Thieves, similar to yakuza in style but also operate as ghost hunters) -> Yakuza, Witch Hunter
Maybe the Shaman mixed with the Rogue with the Sacred Outlaw feat and going into the Hunters of the Dead or Skullclan Hunter.
  • Eunuch Sorcerer -> Eunuch Warlock
Agree, but start with the Sorcerer not Wu Jen.
  • Imperial Army Officer -> possibly Akodo Champion
Agree.
  • Yi Barbarian (Steppe nomads) -> Unicorn Barbarian with their prestige class
Maybe the Horselord Barbarian from Dragon #338 and going into the Bowman Charger from Dragon #325.
  • Neeg Barbarian (jungle hunters) -> possibly Ranger/Barbarian
Not knowing who/what the Neeg Barbarians are suppose to be (Korea? or Indochina?) could just change Barbarian name to Berserker or use the Raider from Northern Crown. No Idea for prestige class

nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:30 pm

I thought I should share the special map I want to use with this campaign:
(Special thanks to Birchbeer for making this for me.)

nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:47 pm

Bei Ji: One of the western provinces, the remote mountainous province of Bei Ji is famous for the variety of medicines that are produced there. It is also the major supplier of hardwoods to the rest of the Empire. Princess Chen Huaxiang, a second cousin of the Emperor, is the civil governor, and her lover General Zhang Pi is the military commander. A Wizard named Jing So, who has been building a force of both Xia and monsters in the remote mountains, currently challenges their authority. Jade Mountain Monastery, where the Jade Fist Society was formed, is in the Qing Dragon’s Spine west of the city of Yao. Many Jade Fist members make pilgrimages to the temple every year.
Capital: Anmei [EUN MAY], former capital of the Kingdom of Mu, is now Bei Ji’s political center. This ancient city has seen a great deal of warfare and still acts as a rallying point during incursions by the Yi barbarians.
Places of Note: White Tiger Mountain, one of the Five Sacred Mountains, is in Bei Ji. Hidden in its mountain borders is the Jade Mountain Monastery, secret headquarters of the Righteous Fists.

Bi: The silk producing province of Bi, Tianguo’s easternmost province, is governed by Duke Li Fao-Gong, a wily political manipulator. Many of his numerous children and nearly 100 grandchildren serve in posts within the province. Military command, however, is now divided between the generals of each of the four major cities, who each operate as independent warlords. Not even Duke Li's smooth tongue has kept them from warring with each other. Because of its long coastline, much of the province’s populace in engaged in fishing.
Capital: Huajian [tswa-jyen] is the center of government, an excellent port on the eastern coast. The harbor is very deep, an advantage in trade but an unfortunate aid to the enemy during the invasion.
Places of Note: On the very eastern edge of the province is Green Dragon Mountain, another
of the Five Sacred Mountains of Tianguo.

Hou: The southern Nine Maidens River Basin is fertile farmland, and quite populous and wealthy. The eastern Dragon’s Spine Mountains are populated by Xing Tian, Yeren, and other monsters, and the human population is poor. Most of the province is under the control of General Han Ji-Shen and his rebels. Only the city of Ganjing and the regions south to the Nine Maidens river defy his control. Xia could join him or start loyalist resistance movements in the province. Mount Gong-Du, a major outlaw stronghold, resists both Han's control and that of the Empire.
Capital: Hou’s capital is Xing [sheen], a bustling port city in the delta of the Nine Maidens River. Rice and iron are shipped downriver from the interior to Xing, where they are traded for other goods.
Places of Note: The small islands in the delta of the Nine Maidens are home to many pirates who prey on the many trade ships bound to and from Xing. These pirates have only gained in strength as the emperor’s depredations continue.

Jing: The province of Jing is a major rice growing area, as well as providing a wide variety of fruits to the other provinces. It borders on the Tibneeg Mountains, which are under the firm control of the Neeg barbarians. The jungle dwellers are fierce warriors, and even Jianmin has been unwilling to launch a full invasion of the north. Instead, a series of border forts on the plains keep the Neeg at bay. Governor Dai Zhi-Pi controls the western half of the province, while General Ping Yin-Ying controls the east. General Ping accuses Governor Dai of egregious corruption, while Governor Dai claims that General Ping is the puppet of a rogue Shaman who wishes to destroy the Empire. The Shaman, Huo E-Yue, offers to teach her secret knowledge to any Xia who join her.
Capital: Peiding [pay-teen], a fortress city with access to the sea, serves as the seat of government.
Places of Note: According to the locals, a dragon lives in the mountains and guards a hoard of treasure dating from the Three Legendary Emperors. Such “hoard dragons” are unlike others of dragonkind, brutish and usually hostile to humans. Many treasure-hunters have sought the hoard, but none have ever found it.

Qu Ti: The largest and most populous province, Qu Ti, is divided into eleven semi-independent fiefs by warlords and nobles. The emperor’s control of the province is unchallenged, but each fiefdom runs his or her territory as if it were its own small kingdom. Minor skirmishes occur between the warlords, but none have escalated to the point of being labeled a rebellion, a fate that would bring the other warlords and the Emperor's troops down upon them. The populace just wishes to get on with their lives, but they are faced with higher taxes and forced conscription at an unbearable rate. It would not be hard for charismatic Xia to organize peasant uprisings here.
Capital: Baixu [bie-shu], a port city in the south, is the provincial “capital”. Wheat and timber are shipped here for trade with other provinces.
Places of Note: Just north of An Ying Forest is Black Tortoise Mountain, one of the Five Sacred Mountains of Tianguo. Even in these dark days, many pilgrims come to the mountain to entreat the spirits.

Shang Shen: Shang Shen Province is one of the major rice growing areas of the Empire, and most of the Empire's tea is grown in the hills that divide the peninsula. An annual fleet of grain ships assembles in the city Luoguan to transport rice and other goods to the Capital as the province's tax. It was the center of the Red Eyebrow Rebellion and is a stronghold of the Iron Monkeys, a peasant-based secret society. The eastern coastal area is now being rocked by peasant uprisings, but General Jia Feng has been reluctant to crack down, fearing a backlash that exacerbates the situation. One of his captains, Guo Li-Ao, has been pushing the general to suppress the rebellions harshly, but has been repeatedly denied. Governor Er Zhu agrees with Guo, but has little pull with General Jia.
Capital: Pangdong [teng doong], a fortress city in the Yishu [yee-soo] Hills, is a ancient city strategically located on a rise overlooking the lowlands.
Places of Note: The kings of Mu are buried in a hidden valley in the Yishu Hills. According to legend, the Mu descendants guard this place still and ensure no one disturbs the graves of their ancestors.

Tou: The long, coastal Tou Province is sparsely populated. Its economy is based around a combination of mining and maritime industry. General Gao Xiu has assumed control of both the military and civil authority in the province in order to battle incursions by Han Ji-Shen's rebels and the rise in raids by monsters from the Tibneeg Mountains. He has recently cracked down on the Wing Kong, Silent Walkers, Golden Seal Tong, and other criminal organizations. Xia could easily get caught up in this crackdown.
Capital: The provincial capital is Beisen [bay-seun], a large port that has been a base of exploration for centuries.
Places of Note: The Dragon’s Tooth, the new headquarters of the Dragon’s Breath secret society, is located on an island off the coast of Tou. The province also contains Red Phoenix Mountain, the southernmost of the Five Sacred Mountains.

Tui: The border province of Tui is highly militarized, with the north being populated by garrison-colonies where soldiers farm and train to repel raiders from the Yi Barbarians. The southern regions are suitable for grain and vegetable production, much of which goes to feed the troops along the border regions. There is a fierce rivalry between most of the garrison commanders and the civil governor, Ou Tan-Lo, who has a large force of troops personally loyal to him in the provincial capital of Kai.
Capital: Kai [kie], an impressive fortress on the coast, is Tui’s capital. Since the Yi have shown little aptitude for sieges, Kai has never fallen. Even when surrounded by barbarians, the city has been able to resupply and reinforce using naval power.
Places of Note: The Horse’s Tail River marks the northernmost boundary of the empire. Although attempts have been made to subjugate the Yi homeland on the steppes beyond, such forays have always ended in failure. Many battles have been fought on the shores of the Horse’s Tail, which are thick with watchtowers and fortifications.

Xin: The center of the Empire, Xin Province is still firmly in control of the Emperor. The bureaucracy and army are fiercely loyal to the empire, if not to the rule of the Eunuchs. Most of the nobles and aristocrats are happy to be indulged and pampered by Emperor Jianmin, although they fear and mistrust the undead eunuchs. The populace leans more to craftspeople than farmers, as much of the land is divided into plantation estates by the rich and powerful.
Capital: Zuyang, the provincial capital, is also the seat of the empire itself. The city is built on a large island in the middle of the Scarlet River. Six bridges connect Zuyang to the mainland, but its location makes it eminently defendable.
Places of Note: Huang Ren Mountain, the central of the Five Sacred Mountains and the focus of the imperial cult, is in Xin. A great temple on the summit honors past emperors and was formerly within the purview of the White Lotus, a shaman society. The nearby Ling Mu [leen moo] Mountains house the imperial tombs. These have recently fallen into disrepair.

Return to “Oriental Adventures”