What are your fan made Domains?

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
Doc Necrotic
Bugbear

What are your fan made Domains?

Post by Doc Necrotic »

I'm curious what domains of dread, clusters, islands of terror and pocket domains you have made over the years?

I've made a number, myself. Many were failed submissions to various official magazines and whatnot. However, one of them has made the jump the DM's Guild, the Colony of Dawnsveil (A mix of early Colonial American settings like Roanoke, Jamestown and Salem; with hints of later Colonial American developments, like Williamsburg). The Darklord is the former governor, whose trapped in an endless cycle with an evil witch that he created from his own fears. And worse, the more he uses his people to pursue her, the more they're afraid to help their very own leader.

On top of that, here are a few other domains I've come up with other the years.

Königreich des Feuers -
Darklord - Gunther Drachenblut
The overall domain has a Teutonic Knights feel to it, corrupted by a fiery reign of terror. Drachenblut's strong religious upbringing lead to a narcissistic and violent mentality in his rule. Even before becoming a darklord, he was a deranged tyrant that used his beliefs as an excuse to torture those around him. Few, mostly his clergy, have anything kind to say about him. His anger and zealotry cause him to turn into a rampaging monster of fire when he leaves his castle, a fate he is not aware of. He becomes an avatar of all the torment inflicted on the land. Meanwhile, within the castle, he seeks to send his knights on a quest to slay the unholy demon that plagues the lands, while executing or brutalizing anyone who dares to conspire with it. The lands and its people always have a lightly burned and lifeless look to them. His knights are particularly inhuman upon leaving the castle, as if they were brutally scorched corpses that still channel fire through them.

Abaddon
Darklord - Maryanna
A druid without a circle, she haunts the last living oasis of a destroyed wasteland. Any sembleance of culture is long gone, below even stone age at this point. Eons back, to a point she can hardly remember, she was a member of a druidic circle who used the powers of life to enhance and aid nature. For Maryanna, life was a bargaining chip. She'd offer services to adventurers, all while trying to bend life forces toward her. As ages passed, she became stronger, while alienating the people of her tribe and circle. In her travels, her magics gleamed an impossible vision of a far off world, where mages literally stole the life of the land to bolster their magic. Inspired, she sought to do the same. All but abandoned, she finally unleashed her experiment. Before former allied druids were aware, a wave of death was unleashed upon the land; with Maryanna reaping the benefits. Nearly immortal and ageless, the mad druid began sapping away at the land without regard for control, slaying and druid or beast that got in her way. Prayers for intervention came from a mixture of other druids and clergy from nearby civilization. Their answered prayers? The Mists. Now, Maryanna finds herself in a ruined land. Only pockets of natural world allow her powers to still work. Beyond these oasis? She is useless and the wastes crawl with undead horrors. And worse, the moment she leaves, her near-immortal positive-infused body acts as a beacon to all of those she has wronged. However, outside help cannot save her. Over time, her almost vampiric hunger for life force will take over and she'll try to kill them, creating more hateful undead. (Admittedly, this one wasn't overly gothic, but it was a fun domain to explore). Oddly enough, Maryanna hails from the same Prime world as Gunther Drachenblut.

Glensburough
Darklord - Clement Weir Jr.
Originally, a somewhat cozy town that boasted the talent of several playwrights, poets and later even novelists. Among locations in Mordent, this was among the more hopeful. Among them was Clement Sr. Among his specialty was tales of the Fair Folk. He would claim that his stories were based on his treks into the woods as a ranger and a deputy of a ruined town before that. Jr's father was a sullen and reclusive man who had moved to the town some years ago, but remained quite popular. He recalls scars of a terrible fallen artist enclave known as "Bohemian", but he escapes through his writing. His most famous character, the Cheerful Stalker, remained popular for ages. As Jr. tried to get into writing, he was always compared to his father, despite being far more social and outgoing. Years passed and few people saw Jr as the rightful successor, the public valued his father more. In a fit, Jr stabbed his father with a sharpened ink quill, as he was preparing to visit the Stalker one last time. Soon after, the Mists claimed the town and recreated closer to the image of the Cheerful Stalker stories. Now, a mad killer stalks the streets, constantly reminded Jr of both his evil deed and his father's success. Attempts to thwart the creature at the hands of Jr always fail. And those who stop it? They only do so temporarily. As for Jr? All he writes are works that inspire mockery, as he can't even capture his better works prior to the murder. As such, he has become more introverted, like his father, a trait that he greatly resents. The domain exists in a newly formed cluster called the Fell Craft Cluster, alongside Odiare, Bohemian and some others.

Cabin within the Woods
Darklord - Prof. Herbert Nelsby
The domain is a blatant homage to The Evil Dead I and II, and more recently Ash vs. Evil Dead. The basic premise is the Nolby expy became a Darklord after experimenting with a similar-to-necronomicon tome and unleashing demonic spirits in a wooded area. Since it was enjoyed by players, I kinda retconned it into a Pocket Domain within Dawnsveil, upping the Roanoke aspect of that domain too. In short, Nelsby became obsessed with Dawnsveil's vanishing, studying into the occult to pry what info he could. Oddly enough, one relic was left behind (as a result of Grand Conjunction shenanigans), an evil grimoire. Ironically, it pulled him into the very place he was interested in. However, he and his possessive demon hordes are locked into one part of the forest. Given that it takes in the future of Dawnsveil's prime world, it's more advanced than its parent domain.

Bohemian
Darklord - Jasper Bernard Alabaster
The abandoned village was once conceived as an artist enclave, to escape the judgemental ways of larger society. Doomed from the start, an artist named Fitzroy teamed up with Alabaster to open a studio. The former favored realism, while the latter enjoyed a surreal macabre. However, a bad partnership with the sculptors lead to a deadly retaliation. The studio that started the town was burned to the ground, with one of its creators still inside. Alabaster was scarred and deformed, driven mad by his life's work ruined. Soon after, a gruesome act of revenge rocked the outsider collective to its core, as Fitzroy was killed and made into a sculpture for his treachery. The Mists responded in kind. Now, he lures poor souls into his wax works, where they are made into living (and unliving) works of art. After years as a pocket domain in Mordent, the amassing army of undead wax horrors caused the abandoned artist town to become its own domain within a cluster. Bohemian grew into a city, rife with new potential victims. However, Alabaster hates this new vapid public, as they are too oblivious to appreciate his take on the arts. Plus, the ruins of the enclave ward people away, with no one interested in venturing into the warn down "arts district". While he is doomed to never find love or work with a partner again, he uses the blase attitude of the city as a cover to harvest more victims, while finding ways to cover up evidence.

Fell Craft Cluster
Simply put, a cluster of domains with a central theme of The Arts gone tragically wrong. Currently, it's a mostly temperate land, with a few dotted bits of land reaching into rain forest. To the northern reaches, which are more forested, sits Bohemian... still dilapidated. The central region is far more developed, with Glensburough and Odiare sitting within a day's walk of each other.

Towards the end, this domain hasn't been well explored by a chronicler yet. All that is known is that the domain itself is controlled by a crazed artisan who sacrificed enemies and allies in attempt to win favor of the Gods. This failed, angered the artisan's people and infuriated her. She used her own art to kill the village as impromptu sacrifices, horrifying the Gods. The Mists intervened. Even those within the Fell Craft Cluster are far too afraid to visit this domain currently. (Hats off to Seethyr for the inspiration! I might flesh this out some day.)

So, that's enough from me. What have your domains been like? Tell me about them.
Last edited by Doc Necrotic on Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Follow my delves into madness via the Daemons & Deathrays blog!

Doc Necrotic
Bugbear

Re: What are your fan made Domains?

Post by Doc Necrotic »

Not to bump, but has this thread already been done before? I was hoping to see what other strange Mist places other people have made. I can migrate myself to another thread, if need be.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell »

I haven't actually made any yet, but it's the kind of thing I might do sometime. I'm bored by clichés, but I love riffing on them in creative ways.

There is at least one really interesting fan-made Domain somewhere on this board, something involving a dwarf Darklord. That's all I remember, but it sounded really cool and different.

Doc Necrotic
Bugbear

Post by Doc Necrotic »

willpell wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:36 pm
I haven't actually made any yet, but it's the kind of thing I might do sometime. I'm bored by clichés, but I love riffing on them in creative ways.

There is at least one really interesting fan-made Domain somewhere on this board, something involving a dwarf Darklord. That's all I remember, but it sounded really cool and different.
I remember the Fraternity of Shadows had a trove of custom ones, but I've long since forgotten my account for that page. I'll have to look for the one you mentioned.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr »

Here are some cool ones from elsewhere on the boards, including an Aztec domain which is one of my favorites.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Doc Necrotic
Bugbear

Post by Doc Necrotic »

Seethyr wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:31 pm
Here are some cool ones from elsewhere on the boards, including an Aztec domain which is one of my favorites.
Midway Haven is fantastic.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

The City of the Summer Stars (Pocket Domain)

On the Demiplane of Dread known to some as Ravenloft, in Darkon’s Forest of Shadows, one can sometimes come across tribes of bronze-skinned humans, garishly decorated in cruel tattoos of demons and beasts and wearing ghostly white robes. Their villages, though sturdily built, have a habit of vanishing and reappearing mysteriously - they have been sighted in other forests, too, and even in the wastes of Cavitius on occasion, and always it is the same hooded figures, the same tiny population. They are particularly interested in trading or forcefully taking magical lore of any sort, arcane or divine. They also have a keen interest in the Vistani, who for their part are eager to avoid them.

Sometimes they can seem to be helpful. They will sponsor the research of spell casters when it suits their purpose. At times they trade fairly, and pay good prices for those with unique magics to offer. They can be vicious, too, killing and torturing to get what they want. Unfortunately for them, they suffer a variation of the same curse that afflicts Darkon, and they cannot research new magics on their own. They rely on outsider wizards for what they desire more than anything else.

They seem to be living and breathing creatures of flesh, most of the time, though some have witnessed times when they seem to have faded away; during those periods, which may be linked to the cycle of the moon, they are mere phantoms.

On another world, thousands of years in the past, they were a people known as the Ur-Flannae, or the Necromancers of Trask, though they specialized in other schools of magic as well. They lived along the upper Flanmi and Trask Rivers on a world that some called Oerth (but which they named after the earth-goddess, Beory). They worshipped fiends, mainly, and evil dragons who ruled as tyrants. Tiamat was popular as well, and all feared the scarlet reaper, Nerull. The warlocks and sorcerers of the Ur-Flannae craved power, wherever they could find it, no matter how depraved their means of getting it.

In a nearby forest that would one day be known as the Adri after a later race of conquerors was a civilization of gray elves. Their culture was very old even among a race as long-lived as theirs was, and their magic and lore encompassed the wisdom of many planes of existence. Their library compared favorably to any on a hundred worlds. The Necromancers of Trask wanted the power the library represented, and they wanted it very badly.

There came a time when they gathered in a great army of their fellow humans, summoning fiends and terrible spells that no mortal should know, chanting words of power that none can cast without damning their souls for all eternity. They made war upon the elves, and it was far from clear who would emerge victorious.

Darnakurian, prince of the gray elves, turned in his desperation to dark powers from other planes who whispered to him the secrets necessary to craft the sword Hunger, an artifact of great and terrible power. With the aid of his tutor, the sage Eleandereth, he forged the thing, and so sealed both his doom and the doom of his entire people.

Empowered as it was by the Dark Powers, Hunger possessed Darnakurian utterly, and once he finished slaughtering the Ur-Flannae he turned on his own people, murdering even his mother, the Queen. Many thousands of elves died on that day before they managed to seal Darnakurian and his sword with a spell that would stop time. The great city of the gray elves, the City of the Summer Stars, vanished, leaving only the tower in which Darnakurian still clutches Hunger in his hands. The tainted glade remains as cold as the deepest winter thanks to the unholy power of the sword. Gray elves dedicate their entire lives to guarding the glade, making sure that Hunger is never unleashed again.

In truth, the City of the Summer Stars now lies in the Demiplane of Dread, where the same Dark Powers who inspired the creation of the sword claimed the entire city in which it was made. Only Darnakurian they could not claim, because of the spell of time cast by his fellow elves at the cost of their own lives.

The City of the Summer Stars is deep in the center of the pocket domain, surrounded by scattered villages of Ur-Flannae. The two peoples remain at war; the Ur-Flannae still lust for the secrets of the city. They have turned away from any gods they may have worshiped on their old world, and all of their clerics now are fiend-worshippers or Ur-Priests, though they retain something of the druidic culture they once knew, now corrupted and twisted to wicked ends. The elves captured by the Mists were transformed into undead creatures known as wyrds, with fleshless faces and hands grasping orbs of red and green flame. The humans remain humans, for the most part, although when they fight the things that once were elves they take the forms of ghosts.

The ruler of the City of the Summer Stars, and the de facto darklord of the pocket domain, is none another than Eleandereth, or the wyrd that was made from him. When he first entered this plane, his dominant emotion was anguish and regret at his pupil’s corruption and the horrors he shared responsibility for. Over the centuries this has been replaced with blind greed for the power that Hunger represents. He has become convinced that the problem was not the sword, but Darnakurian’s weakness. He believes that the war with the Ur-Flannae will never end until he retrieves the artifact from the world he lost long ago. His primary goal now is to reopen the gate to Oerth and retrieve the artifact, probably imperiling both worlds. And for this, he needs someone with the power to manipulate time as the wizards of his people once could, before Darkon’s amnesia robbed them of some of their power. And he needs someone with the power to freely travel the Mists. The rest will take care of itself; the Mists crave the artifact as much as he does, he is sure. The inspiration for their creation came from this world, and it is Hunger which must have been the reason that the City of the Summer Stars was claimed.

What he needs, he has decided, is a dukkar of the Manusa tasque.

Once, centuries ago, he found one. The birth of something as rare as a dukkar to a tasque that has no children required much manipulation on his part, including a temporary alliance with the lich who ruled Darkon (who he knows as Darcalas; this event may have happened before Azalin actually claimed his throne, and may after all have been only false history). For two generations, the Vistani managed to identify a dukkar shortly after its birth and kill it before it could do harm. On the third generation, a dukkar was born to the same family, and this time the would-be killers died before they could complete their bloody task. The infant ended up, through complicated machinations, adopted by Vistani of the Manusa, and he seemed an ordinary enough child. They named him Attla. By the time his power—which mirrored that of the Manusa themselves—and malevolence was clear, it was too late; he had gathered together a group of followers, outcasts from a variety of tribes, and both Darcalas and Eleandereth—and, seemingly, the Mists themselves—were intent on using him to fulfill their frustrated dreams. He would fetch the doomsday artifact for Eleandereth to use against his enemies, and Darcalas would escape to the world of Oerth, back into the Adri Forest from which the Mists had once claimed him, either in the future or the past.

What they promised the dukkar is no longer remembered, but it must not have been enough, for he would ultimately turn on them. Bands of Vistani desperately sought to hunt him down and kill him before he brought ruin into the world; they pursued Attla and his band of outlaws deep into the Forest of Shadows, deep into the Mists which opened tantalizingly into a glade cold enough to freeze the soul. Attla walked through, his followers close behind him; other Vistani pursued him as well, a great crowd from many tribes determined to stop the dukkar, the abomination. Attla made it to the tower, he and his followers battling the guardian elves, who were disoriented due to the mists suddenly intruding on their land. Yet when he was about to touch the sword, shatter the spell, and secure the bridge that would pull the last portion of the City of the Summer Stars into the Demiplane of Dread—the bridge that Darcalas intended to cross back into the world he no longer knew—he hesitated. Betrayal still festered within him, but this time it was the Dark Powers—whose grasp on his heart, in this world, was just a fraction weaker—that he betrayed. Or perhaps he did their will, keeping Darcalas sealed within the demiplane and keeping the elves and Ur-Flannae in their eternal equilibrium. Who is to say? Attla turned away, and used his powers to banish the Mists, trapping himself and a sizable amount of other Vistani on one plane while his erstwhile employers remained on the other.

The hunting Vistani, not comprehending their new situation, attacked Attla, and in the melee he was killed. As he died, he cursed his murderers, swearing that they would never find safety as long as they touched the earth.

And perhaps this is only false history. This happened centuries before the coming of Azalin, and the best minds, free from the Dark Powers’ grasp on their minds, believe that Darkon did not even exist in those days. Even Barovia had not yet been created. The entire story of the dukkar Attla might be only a fabrication intended to increase the frustrations of Azalin and Eleandereth.

Yet the following is known for sure:

On the world of Oerth, in the Adri Forest, thousands of years before the present day, the City of Summer Stars vanished after a war between the gray elves and the human Necromancers of Trask. The only structure remaining is a single tower in the center of the supernatural blight known as the Coldwood. The gray elves guard the Coldwood fiercely against those who would awaken the evils imprisoned within. The lost city, they claim, now exists on some otherworldly “fading land,” though none have found the gate.

On the world of Oerth, in the 150th Common Year, a group of travelling folk were first sighted at the edge of the Adri Forest. They claimed to have come from another world, and they were bewildered by the strange flora and fauna of Oerth. Although they traditionally traveled the land in wagons, on this world most took to the rivers and lakes instead. Those who retained their ancestral way of life were called Attloi, traitors.

And on the world of Oerth, in the 391st Common Year, the Lord of Knurl, the self-proclaimed “Wizard-King” Firan Zal’honan—better known as Azal’Lan—vanished in the depths of the Adri Forest.

And in the Demiplane of Dread there is a pocket domain in which a city of gray elves, now corrupted by undeath, hatred, and greed, who fight an endless war with human spell casters. Outsiders see the humans more often, seeking out magical lore, sponsoring mages, kidnapping victims and setting them aflame within wicker effigies when they no longer have need of them. But the spirits of the elves, with their orbs of eldritch fire, can be seen from time to time as far away as Azalin’s court, or ambushing bands of Vistani. The pocket domain itself is most commonly found within the Forest of Shadows, which occupies a place in relation to the city of Necropolis equivalent to that which the Adri Forest holds in relation to the city of Knurl. It can be found anywhere within Darkon, however, and on rare occasions it has been spotted in Cavitius and even Barovia. There is good reason to suspect it might have touched Barovia in the year 542 of that land’s calendar, when the lich Azalin first set foot on demiplanar soil.

Notes:

The canonical history of the City of the Summer Stars is as I've shown it here, taken from Ivid the Undying by Carl Sargent, a Greyhawk supplement that was released on the internet only due to the line being canceled in the early '90s. There's a very good PDF version floating around. I invented the figure of Eleandereth, because it makes Darnakurian himself—the most logical darklord, the one the plane of Ravenloft would desire as the darklord—a wild card in all this. If he were finally freed (and Eleandereth would rather leave him imprisoned, taking only his sword), how would he react? Would he be content to destroy his ancient enemies, or would he destroy the entire pocket domain? Could he actually wrest his mind free of Hunger's grasp long enough to destroy it?

The date the City of the Summer Stars was lost to the world is disputed, but doesn't much matter for these purposes.

The date and location the Rhennee first appeared on Oerth is from Greyhawk: The Adventure Begins, by Roger E. Moore.

The name "Attloi" comes originally from the novel Saga of Old City by Gary Gygax, page 115: "Those dogs in the wagons claim to be Rhennee too, but they are Attloi —half-breed nothings, vagabonds, liars, and chicken stealers!" They were also mentioned in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, page 7: "...their rare, land-dwelling cousins, whom they derogatively refer to as the Attloi." The dukkar Attla and his curse are inventions of mine.

The undead horror known as the wyrd originated in the Elves of Alfheim Gazetteer for BECMI D&D, and was updated to 2nd edition in the Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix. To my knowledge, they haven't appeared in subsequent editions. They're immaterial creatures clad in dark, hooded robes, with skeletal faces and glowing witchfire spheres in their hands. They're always made from the corpses of elves. I decided to use them because the domain of Sithicus already has banshees, but wyrds are something new and different in Ravenloft.

Doc Necrotic
Bugbear

Post by Doc Necrotic »

I love this so much, especially since it's so rich in both Greyhawk and Ravenloft inspiration. Well done!

KtA
Bugbear

Post by KtA »

Dartelwa - an Island of Terror which is also a physical island. It looks relatively nice at first glance; the common people are healthy and well-fed, the rulers appear peaceful and relatively fair, etc. The actual domain lord is not well-known, except as an isolated 'hermit' wizard who lives in a tower shunned by everyone else.

The dark secret of Dartelwa is that the people are essentially "livestock" to a Far Realm horror. The "clerics" who tend to the people's health and spiritual needs are shams - they are actually possessed by the horror, and their magical powers are granted by it. They do heal many illnesses and injuries - but they also take many people who would otherwise recover to be fed to their alien master.

The lords, too, are fake - the three lords of the three towns on the island are "shells" controlled by the horror. Their apparently fair and peaceful rule is for its purposes - war would be a waste of good stock.

The domain lord, Arhalinthus, is the wizard who originally summoned the horror. He did so to defend the island from a potential invasion - but not out of patriotism. Instead, having been commissioned to find a solution by one of the lords at that time, his pride prevented him from reporting failure. So he turned to forbidden magic, reaching out to nameless things, seeking to make terrible bargains. He offered any price in return for an answer. And at midnight on Midwinter's Day, he received one. An entity of entropy and consumption from beyond the known planes spoke into his mind, and Arhalinthus offered it passage into reality, where it could feed forever upon humanity, in return for its aid against the invaders.

His curse is the eternal frustration of his pride since he can receive no recognition for what he has done. The people of the island believe that their isolation by the Mists is their sea-god's protection from the invaders; they do not connect it with Arhalinthus. And the touch of the alien horror, when he summoned it, transformed him into an undead creature with an aura of fear, similar to a lich or mummy. So he can no longer even interact with the people from whom he craves recognition and accolades.

Doc Necrotic
Bugbear

Post by Doc Necrotic »

Not to Necro, but I've been pondering other domains to further flesh out the Fell Crafts Cluster. For starters, Odiare is separated from Glensburough by a mountainside, with another theatrical domain not too far away. Also, due to Jack's association with tinker craft, Farelle is added to the cluster, to the south west and a part of "Greater Glensburough County" along with the villages beyond Bohemian, under the "watch" of Governor Alan Higgins. In the south, well evading the mountains, lies the ruins of Acotlaza (the somewhat fleshed out domain from before)... which I'm twisting into having an Azcan origin in the Hollow World, one example of Atzanteotl going too far. So, a haunted Aztec ruins, a balmy colonial coast (albeit with more New England aesthetics), Elizabethan London and an Italian city are all in the same region... Is this Ravenloft or Mystara?

The Appleklein Mountains
Darklord - The Strings Player
A series of close knit rural villagers dot the mountainside, most of which hampered by rampant poverty. However, folk tales of a vigilante phantom known as "The Strings Player" are well circulated as a means of hope. Tall tales speak of a musician who sold his soul to protect the land, causing greedy outsiders and government figures to mysteriously vanish. In truth, the darklord is no hero. He was a paranoid musician who feared the outside world, using the encroaching salesmen and bureaucrats as an excuse to let loose. Using the familiar territory, he stalked and murdered any officials he felt too scared of. This culminated in the death of his own daughter, who fell in love with a mine contractor interested in expansive trade. And with that, The Mists claimed the cowardly soul turned wicked shadow thing. His story still circulates the mountainside. Likewise, his sinister banjo tune is often the last thing victims here before he claims them next. As for the shade? He is cursed to feel frightened of the very people he sought to protect, in shame of murdering his own family. Never will he witness their praise. Only one person has seen him in full, Peter Blankenship, a prospector turned insane after the encounter. He mostly stays in his house with a "pet" opossum he found as a baby. This domain is based on Appalachian Mountain ghost stories and tall tales, the classic song, "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" and a little bit from the Alps. The name is a reference to writer and game historian, Shannon Appelcline. Despite all of this, the domain is CL 7 (Medieval) with a few CL 8 (Chivalric) touches by forts and outposts, with an anachronistic mix of aesthetics. Curiously, a mistway exists towards the end of the mountainside, leading straight to Souragne. This domain stretches from the center of the Cluster, going south and east. It cuts off Bohemia and Glensburough from Odiare and Prose Arch, causing travel to take far longer.

Prose Arch
Darklord - Benedict K. Smythe
Prose Arch is a bustling metropolitan city, a fine representative of an emerging national empire. It is here where the arts of the land truly shine, through a theater invited to the masses through the Great Stages of the Smythe Playhouse. Shows are never expensive and range in a variety of styles and topics. However, its owner carries a dark past for the fine stage. In the earlier years of the theater, a production called for a nefarious wizard to conjure a monster in the show. However, the wizard was real and the conjured monster broke from its magical control. Many died, but the owner survived. In truth, he was infected by a slaad. Much time later, the theater reopened, with Smythe going under an alias, to debut a pretentious drama based on Smythe's tragedies over the many months. With him as the main star, the show opened well, until the Slaad emerged from a dying Smythe to incite a new wave of violence. The Mists soon take the stage, as the owner found himself awake in his office, now the creature himself! And worse, the lands surrounding the city have disappeared! Only reports of another land overrun by demonic toys surface. The theater remained closed for months, as Smythe learned of his new powers. While he was doomed to never leave the abandoned building, he drew in a cadre of vile characters to turn the whole city into his stage. Recently, a new theater company was set to "takeover" Smythe Playhouse and begin renovation. This was done through a series of aliases and hired hands. This has been made even easier after learning the theater of another nearby land, Odiare, has been closed for some time now. The plots and terrors of this land are largely inspired by London through William Shakespeare (giving it a CL 8 or 9), as well as an adventure seed from Dungeon Magazine #77 (Stage Fright). The name is a pun of Proscenium Arch, a frame between the stage and the auditorium.

Also, I wanted to adapt one of my creations from Threshold Magazine as well. In the articles, I imply that Returned Blackmoor is potentially doomed to the Mists. Let's explore that a little.

Blackmoor
Darklord - God-Emperor Gwyn Allogost
Originally, the once powerful leader envisioned a technological utopia under his command; a new golden age for Blackmoor in a world ready for his taking. However, an all too human element changed much of that. Blackmoor exists as a far cry from the age of heroic conflicts under the mighty King Uther, or even the age of marvels leading up to the Great Rain of Fire. By some miracle, survivors evaded the downfall of their society and time jumped into the future, only to suffer in a tundra wasteland where the kingdom would have been. Allogost, then a general, staged a coup to usurp control to save his endangered people. In no time, the land rebuilt. However, his reign only grew harsher as his health began to fail more and more. To remedy this, the tyrant slowly augmented his body, which only rendered his mind gradually more mad. The Technomancy lands of Blackmoor arose back to glory in no time, all while hiding away from worried Immortals and prying mortals. The evil plots and insane crusades of Allogost boiled into a desire to go forth and take hold of Mystara, but not before The Mists intervened. Now an Island of Terror, the cyborg god-emperor seethes in rage over his inability to expand and conquer, as his new rival has become the mists themselves! Any attempt to push farther and thwart the Dark Powers fails, as this ruler is forced to face the rest of his eternal existence in mediocrity. And worse, should anyone else escape, they learn that their technologies fail. They have been reprogrammed by the Dark Powers, much like how the energies of the Hollow World changed the machines of the Blacklore Elves. Some say that travel through Lamordia can allow one to find Blackmoor.

Return to “Ravenloft”