Etherealness in BECMI?

Discuss B/X rules, BECMI rules, Rules Cyclopedia, and the crunchy bits from the gazetteers here.
The Book-House: Find Classic D&D (BECMI) products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Etherealness in BECMI?

Post by Havard » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:18 am

I posted a proposed encounter table for the Ethereal Plane in this thread.

What spells and magical items provide Etherealness in BECMI? What creatures posess the ability to shift into the Ethereal Plane or are otherwise connected to that realm?

Haunts (Banshee, Ghost, Poltergeist) are able to shift between the Prime Material and the Prime Material Plane. What others?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Wangalade
Gnoll

Re: Etherealness in BECMI?

Post by Wangalade » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:29 pm

In our games, we've had potions of etherealness, and boots, and I think an intelligent sword had the ability. My brother's PC had a shield that could turn him Ethereal. We even had a helmet that just let you see ethereal things/into the ethereal plane.
The question is: how many rolls of Duck Tape are needed to hold the universe together?
The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is: 42
42 Rolls of Ducktape
Web Map of Mystara

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:21 pm

Havard wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:18 am
What spells and magical items provide Etherealness in BECMI?
Aerial servant (only for the servant itself)
Potion of Ethereality (soo often function as potions of ethereality, if you drink them)
Armor & Shields: Ethereality special power
Gate can open a direct connection to the Ethereal Plane.
The Ether Station from Honor Island (GAZ4) - the Honor Islanders used a gate, but but it's worth mentioning
Ethereal Longships (GAZ4) - see Ether Station above

Prismatic Wall extends into the Ethereal Plane (if cast on the Prime).
Truesight allows the caster to see into the Ethereal.
What creatures posess the ability to shift into the Ethereal Plane or are otherwise connected to that realm?
Aerial servant
Apparition
Banshee
Blackball
Brain collector
Demon
Ether weird (GAZ4)
Fleet, Merchant (IM1)
Fleet, War (IM1)
Djinni, Greater
Efreeti, Greater
Haunt
Ghost
Party, diaboli (IM1)
Party, normal (IM1)
Phantom
Plasm, giant (IM1)
Plasm, normal
Planar spider
Poltergeist
Immortal
Sabreclaw (can see ethereal creatures) (AC9)
Snakemen (IM1)
Spectral hound

Basilisks, medusae, gorgons, catoblepas, and cockatrices could affect the Ethereal Plane in AD&D, but I don't think BECMI specifies that anywhere.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:35 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:21 pm
Havard wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:18 am
What spells and magical items provide Etherealness in BECMI?
Aerial servant (only for the servant itself)
Potion of Ethereality (soo often function as potions of ethereality, if you drink them)
Armor & Shields: Ethereality special power
Gate can open a direct connection to the Ethereal Plane.
The Ether Station from Honor Island (GAZ4) - the Honor Islanders used a gate, but but it's worth mentioning
Ethereal Longships (GAZ4) - see Ether Station above

Prismatic Wall extends into the Ethereal Plane (if cast on the Prime).
Truesight allows the caster to see into the Ethereal.
Very nice compilation! Thanks!
What creatures posess the ability to shift into the Ethereal Plane or are otherwise connected to that realm?
Aerial servant
Apparition
Banshee
Blackball
Brain collector
Demon
Ether weird (GAZ4)
Fleet, Merchant (IM1)
Fleet, War (IM1)
Djinni, Greater
Efreeti, Greater
Haunt
Ghost
Party, diaboli (IM1)
Party, normal (IM1)
Phantom
Plasm, giant (IM1)
Plasm, normal
Planar spider
Poltergeist
Immortal
Sabreclaw (can see ethereal creatures) (AC9)
Snakemen (IM1)
Spectral hound

Basilisks, medusae, gorgons, catoblepas, and cockatrices could affect the Ethereal Plane in AD&D, but I don't think BECMI specifies that anywhere.
Great list! I had forgotten that IM1 actually has an encounter table for the Ethereal Plane.

I am wondering if I should use the planar encounter tables from the Gold Box and IM1 when having mortals explore the planes. I could see it for the Outer Planes, but this does make the Ethereal Plane a very dangerous place.

The War Fleet and Merchant Fleet are Planar Spiders. I like how Frank has them using flying saucer like ships. I wonder if having Planar Spider War Fleets travelling through the Ethereal Plane has some larger implications for some brewing conflicts on the Prime Material or Inner Planes. Who might they consider going to war against?

The Snakemen entry was really weird! The description in IM1 says these appear as black blobs easily mistaken for a Blackball. Yet they are called Snakemen? Is he talking about them having blob like vessels similar to how the Spiders are using saucer like ships? This is the first reference to Snakemen I have seen in Mystara source material. I wonder if we could connect them to the Serpentine Empire invented by James Mishler as servitors of the Carnifex?

I will revise my Ethereal Plane encounter tables now! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:07 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:35 pm
The Snakemen entry was really weird! The description in IM1 says these appear as black blobs easily mistaken for a Blackball. Yet they are called Snakemen? Is he talking about them having blob like vessels similar to how the Spiders are using saucer like ships? This is the first reference to Snakemen I have seen in Mystara source material. I wonder if we could connect them to the Serpentine Empire invented by James Mishler as servitors of the Carnifex?
The layout of that page may be confusing you (it did for me when I first looked at it). The description for the snakemen continues underneath the table; the description of the blackball like creatures is a continuation of the Soo entry from the bottom of the second column.

This is interesting, though. I have been working on a "complete" bestiary of BECMI monsters for some time now, and I thought I had picked up all the entries from every canon product out there; I am not sure if I caught the Snakemen, though. I will have to double check my work now.

[ETA: Oh- I think I probably ignored it because they are described as Immortals on a mission. Still, though- if they are all in the same form, it suggests that mission may be to infiltrate a group of mortal snakemen somewhere, so there probably is a snakemen race.]
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:55 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:07 pm
[ETA: Oh- I think I probably ignored it because they are described as Immortals on a mission. Still, though- if they are all in the same form, it suggests that mission may be to infiltrate a group of mortal snakemen somewhere, so there probably is a snakemen race.]
They might be the same as the Serpentmen from IM3, described as dwelling in the plane of Serpentia on page 11.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:47 am

Another thing to remember about the BECMI Ethereal plane is that wormholes to the elemental planes are not short and usually form a tube through the etheral plane before reaching the destination.

Very few things can breach the walls of the tube, but some things may be able to pass through them; and if there is a tube breach then you have another way into the etheral plane...
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:18 am

Havard wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:35 pm
I wonder if we could connect them to the Serpentine Empire invented by James Mishler as servitors of the Carnifex?
-Havard
Indeed a branch of Serpentines servitors of the Outer Being in the plane would add an interesting danger to it :)
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:09 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:55 am
Cthulhudrew wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:07 pm
They might be the same as the Serpentmen from IM3, described as dwelling in the plane of Serpentia on page 11.
Cool! That description says that these Serpentmen were imported from the Prime Material Plane, so they could easily have originated on Mystara.

Yeah, for some reason I confused the description in IM1 with the description of the Soo. I actually like the description of the Serpentmen from that module.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Classic D&D”