Prestige Class Question

Published 2000 & 2003.
The Book-House: Find 3.0 Edition products, Find 3.5 Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

Prestige Class Question

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:17 am

Are their any cleric prestige classes that traffic/deal with demons?

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: Prestige Class Question

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:34 am

I seem to recall quite a few, some from core books, some from Forgotten Realms books. It was quite a popular theme. There is the Nar Demonbinder from Unapproachable East, several in Book of Vile Darkness, and I believe there were a few in Dragon magazine. Bear in mind, of course, that the nature of prestige classes in 3E was such that they rarely were specific to a single class, although they were often tailored so that you would be best served by taking a single class to reach them.

I'd recommend checking the Dragondex (http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/) for any articles that might have some demon related prestige classes, and perhaps some others here on the boards will recall some from specific books that I am not remembering offhand.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:11 pm

Is there anything that is similar to this:
Black Lotus
The Black Lotus are the oldest secret society in the empire. The reason is simple: Trafficking with demons has always been proscribed. Originally, the Black Lotus were much like other shamans, but they came to realize that there was more to gain from dealing with demons than driving them off. The evil spirits knew many secrets and controlled great power, and those with proper knowledge could benefit from both. Although such shamans tried to keep their activities secret, it was inevitable that some of them would be discovered. Those who survived the angry mobs and imperial soldiers fled into the wilderness, where many died in isolation.
Zhongwen [CHUNG-WEN], the King of Hell, had noticed these mortals and was pleased that they showed such respect to his court. He sent minions to gather up the wayward shamans. When all were assembled, the King of Hell himself arrived to address them. He made a simple offer: If the shamans would form a secret society and offer sacrifices and loyalty to Zhongwen and his court, he would gift them with spells and other powers. Those who did not die of shock at meeting the ruler of Hell agreed unanimously to the terms, and the Black Lotus came into being on that day. Binding oaths were sworn, and those who dared to break them met horrible fates.
For centuries the Black Lotus benefited from this arrangement. With the rise of Emperor Jianmin, however, they began to pay the price. The tainted lotus gave great power to Musheng, the renegade demon lord who crafted it, who was able to oust the King of Hell. But the Black Lotus are bound by oaths to Zhongwen, the original king. This has put them at odds with both the emperor and Musheng, the new ruler of Hell. Hunted by both mortal and supernatural foes, the Black Lotus were forced into an alliance with the other secret societies. This is an unfamiliar situation, but they hope the common aim of overthrowing the emperor will prevent the other groups from betraying them.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:49 pm

I would suggest taking a look at the various "Thrall of (xxx named demon)" prestige classes in Book of Vile Darkness. I don't remember the specifics, nor which demons got thralls (I believe Graz'zt and Demogorgon were two of them). Some of them were spellcasting prestige classes, and some weren't, but pretty much all of them had some kind of requirement that was a specific sort of feat introduced in BoVD that indicated that they had supplicated themselves to a demonic patron. That sounds kind of the route that you are looking at.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:52 am

DMG:
Blackguard: not specifically cleric, but one could qualify; requires peaceful contact with a summoned evil outsider; unique spell list; eventually gains a fiendish servant.
Thaumaturgist: requires lesser planar ally (a cleric spell), gets continuing spellcasting and improved summoning powers.

BoVD:
Thrall of Demogorgon: cleric not required, but gives some increased spellcasting if a spellcaster.
Thrall of Graz'zt: cleric not required, but gives increased spellcasting.
Thrall of Juiblex: no spellcasting required; can summon oozes and demons.
[Note: The Demonologist is for arcane casters, not divine, and the Thrall of Orcus is undead-focused, not demons.]
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:59 am

Green Ronin's The Book of Fiends has the following items of interest, if you don't mind third-party sources. Neither is a PrC, though. (The book has some devil-themed PrC's, but no demonic ones.)

Thaumaturge: a 20-level divine spellcasting class that serves a demonic patron, and gets some boosts to summoning spells.

Unholy Warrior: champion of an evil god or fiend that is essentially the antipaladin/blackguard redesigned as a 20-level base class for any evil alignment.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:59 am

It's not particularly fitting to the Asiatic flavor, but one option that hasn't been mentioned here is the Fiendbinder class in the "Truename Magic" section of the 3E Tome of Magic. The game mechanics associated with Truenaming are legendarily terrible, so I wouldn't recommend taking anything but flavor inspiration from the text.

Return to “D&D 3rd Edition”