Patching up Returned Blackmoor

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Doc Necrotic
Goblin

Patching up Returned Blackmoor

Post by Doc Necrotic » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:29 am

So, I'm not gonna lie, I don't know if this belongs in Mystara or here, because it's a crossover of both. For those familiar with Threshold Mystara Magazine, there was an issue on Skothar (which was Issue 20, to be exact). My contribution detailed an alternate Blackmoor that used impossible loopholes to jump into the future and create a protective demiplane, evading the Great Rain of Fire and the retaliation of the Immortals. The problem is, a lot of this feels like some really serious handwaving. I was scratching at my head for a while to try to make sense of things, especially with some pretty heavy alterations caused by games that, well, basically created Returned Blackmoor.

Lemme drop some quick context. The party went through the DA Series after some adventures in Mystara, then they did Where Chaos Reigns. The back door was left open and the Oard crept in, causing shenanigans with Blackmoor. They tried to stop magic, but accidentally introduced Chaos Magic. The Oard blew themselves up, thinking they finally did in magic for the world... (except this version now ties the Oard to the Nucleus of the Spheres, so they almost did). But, because of the tampering with space-time and sending the Immortals into a panic, Blackmoor takes its chances and does the impossible... LEAPS INTO THE FUTURE! (Or rather, decades before 1000 AC). There, they freeze in a frigid Skothar as they lose manpower and will trying to leap out of the Prime (to avoid angry immortals). Before they succeed, a formerly loyal general revolts and stages a coupe against the state, killing most of the nobility and establishing a dystopian government. Decades later, power is waning and the mad leader has become a cyborg in order to pursue his goal is taking Mystara. And unlike predecessors, the Blackmoorians did the impossible, stabilizing magic-infused technology into something that won't create 5 nuclear holocausts at once.

There's one problem, a lot of this probably doesn't make sense within the confines of the setting... At least, I think so. Some things, like introducing Chaos magic? Some vets brushed that aside. But, even with this New Blackmoor creating its own Immortals from the cataclysm, on top of the demiplane cop-out, how would this New Blackmoor even survive? Plus, the Immortals of Time would freak if someone altered time to that degree, literally ripping a past empire and plopping it down in the (near) current age. Should these issues be solved, I'm hoping to return to Returned Blackmoor and explore the (potentially devastating) impact this timeline would have on Mystara.
Follow my delves into madness via the Daemons & Deathrays blog!

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Re: Patching up Returned Blackmoor

Post by Sturm » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:22 am

Well it depends, some Time Immortals who were in effect Blackmoorians, such as Asterius and possibly Khoronus, may decide a Returned Blackmoor could be purged of some undesiderable elements and used to bring Mystara to a new era.
Other Time immortals may be very against it, as several possibly in Matter and Thought. But Energy and Entropy could see a lot of opportunities, so it's not automatic IMO that Immortals would try to destroy Returned Blackmoor.
Even if they wished to do so, they could probably try to do it with mortal means, i.e. mortal opponents. This also depends on how you wish to populate the rest of Skothar. There are several ideas in Threshold issue #20. The ash goblin and the kobolds of the Wasted lands armed with Blackmoorian relics could be a formidable enemy even for Returned Blackmoor.
The several other empires of Skothar will not fall easily either. New Thonia could decide to form a vast alliance to fight Returned Blackmoor. Still its presence on Skothar could bring so many interesting possibilities :)
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:29 pm

Doc Necrotic wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:29 am
So, I'm not gonna lie, I don't know if this belongs in Mystara or here, because it's a crossover of both.
MODERATOR NOTE: Redirect to topic added to Mystara forum.

David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Administrator at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.

Doc Necrotic
Goblin

Post by Doc Necrotic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:57 am

Sturm wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:22 am
Well it depends, some Time Immortals who were in effect Blackmoorians, such as Asterius and possibly Khoronus, may decide a Returned Blackmoor could be purged of some undesiderable elements and used to bring Mystara to a new era.
Other Time immortals may be very against it, as several possibly in Matter and Thought. But Energy and Entropy could see a lot of opportunities, so it's not automatic IMO that Immortals would try to destroy Returned Blackmoor.
Even if they wished to do so, they could probably try to do it with mortal means, i.e. mortal opponents. This also depends on how you wish to populate the rest of Skothar. There are several ideas in Threshold issue #20. The ash goblin and the kobolds of the Wasted lands armed with Blackmoorian relics could be a formidable enemy even for Returned Blackmoor.
The several other empires of Skothar will not fall easily either. New Thonia could decide to form a vast alliance to fight Returned Blackmoor. Still its presence on Skothar could bring so many interesting possibilities :)
I'm glad that there's some level of plausibility. In terms of Khoronus, one of the fixtures in this new Blackmoor is literally named after him (no doubt to his dismay), a laboratory kept under the wing of the state. Now, to start plotting Returned Blackmoor's hop back to the Prime Material. I do have a number of plot hooks and potential campaign models, a la Issue 20. It might be worth expanding a few, perhaps for a future issue of Threshold?
Follow my delves into madness via the Daemons & Deathrays blog!

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:27 am

Sure, you can send it when you want. See Call for Contributors here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22287
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Return to “Blackmoor”