Basiran Dancers

Feel the grit between your teeth, taste the blood in your mouth and smell the laurels of success.

Moderator: night_druid

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Basiran Dancers

Post by Havard »

Where did this concept originate? Are they tied to a specific culture in Kalamar or can they be found all over the setting?

How have they been treated in 2nd Edition and 4E? Has anyone attempted a conversion to convert them to 5E?

What are your experiences with this class?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

antesse
Goblin

Re: Basiran Dancers

Post by antesse »

I feel like this might be obvious but Basiran dancers are connected to Basir (one of the nations allied with/puppeted by Kalamar). I think they should be in other places as well just by the tradition spreading but they don't teach just anyone their secrets.

I've played around with a few and they're basically variant bards with a little more fighting skill and a little less magic skill...because their dancing aids them in combat rather than some of the bards' music giving them magical tricks. Their spells are very similar to the bard spell list. At least that's what I remember without looking at books.

Honestly, my reaction is asking why it's a separate class much like why a gladiator class would be different than a fighter class.

Conversion to other editions would probably just be making them a variant bard. For 5e, they would be well represented by the College of Swords if you call dancing a "tool proficiency" that they get instead of an instrument proficiency. There is probably a dancer kit for 2e bards. I don't know about 4e conversion because concepts are tight in that edition but there's probably a way to make a bard a dancer.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Basiran Dancers

Post by Havard »

antesse wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:25 am
I feel like this might be obvious but Basiran dancers are connected to Basir (one of the nations allied with/puppeted by Kalamar). I think they should be in other places as well just by the tradition spreading but they don't teach just anyone their secrets.
That makes sense. Since its a core class it seems reasonable that you could encounter them in most corners of Tellene.

I've played around with a few and they' ... a dancer.

I like the comparison to bard, but they also remind me of monks a bit. Making them a bardic college in 5E does sound like an interesting sollution. I could see them be similar to the College of Swords although with a few tweaks.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Kingdoms of Kalamar”