What is your favorite puzzle?

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

What is your favorite puzzle?

Post by shesheyan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:35 pm

I decided to add a puzzle to my next dungeon. I was never good at these. Solving the puzzle will unlock another part of the dungeon. Do you have any suggestions? :?:

zontoxira
Planewalker

Re: What is your favorite puzzle?

Post by zontoxira » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:53 pm

If by puzzle you mean an obstacle to be dealt by any other means other than combat, the simplest I can come up with is your typical stone/iron door that is locked and needs three different keys to open, scattered around the dungeon.

If instead you're looking for something akin to a contraption that needs be solved at the very room, you can use the three-point mechanism: three levers/statues/heavy objects that must be moved/rotated in the correct way in order for the door to open.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
Zontoxira's blog
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:12 pm

zontoxira wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:53 pm
If by puzzle you mean an obstacle to be dealt by any other means other than combat, the simplest I can come up with is your typical stone/iron door that is locked and needs three different keys to open, scattered around the dungeon.

If instead you're looking for something akin to a contraption that needs be solved at the very room, you can use the three-point mechanism: three levers/statues/heavy objects that must be moved/rotated in the correct way in order for the door to open.
The second option is closer to what I'm looking for. Are there any D&D Modules that include such puzzles with the solution?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:38 pm

IIRC, B4 has a rotating fragment of the pyramid that gives access to different areas. Rahasia has teleport areas at the end of corridors, as well as other puzzles featuring teleports, wine bottles, etc.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:19 pm

agathokles wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:38 pm
IIRC, B4 has a rotating fragment of the pyramid that gives access to different areas. Rahasia has teleport areas at the end of corridors, as well as other puzzles featuring teleports, wine bottles, etc.
I have B4. I'll look at B7 Rahasia.

The chess room in C2 Inverness is an option I just recalled. Is it too easy to figure out? We played it in the 80s but don't recall if it was a challenge or not.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:36 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:19 pm
agathokles wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:38 pm
I have B4. I'll look at B7 Rahasia.

The chess room in C2 Inverness is an option I just recalled. Is it too easy to figure out? We played it in the 80s but don't recall if it was a challenge or not.
I never played that one. However, these kind of puzzles were a staple in '80s adventures, so you'll probably find more that we can't remember now.

G

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:53 pm

The 2e audio CD module "Hail the Heroes" had tests at key junctions to the dungeon. Carvings would animate, and speak the challenges or riddles. The PCs would then have to answer either directly or indirectly by performing some sort of action(s) based on research carried out earlier in the adventure. ("A test? Nobody told me there was going to be a test!") Failure usually sprang a trap of one sort or another: floors vanish, blades spring out, ceilings collapse, etc.

Some of the questions are rather vague, leaving a lot of room for interpretation and PC creativity.

The Temple's "entrance."

A few more open-ended questions from the dungeon.
Last edited by RobJN on Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:56 pm

RobJN wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:53 pm
The 2e audio CD module "Hail the Heroes" had tests at key junctions to the dungeon. Carvings would animate, and speak the challenges or riddles. The PCs would then have to answer either directly or indirectly by performing some sort of action(s) based on research carried out earlier in the adventure. ("A test? Nobody told me there was going to be a test!") Failure usually sprang a trap of one sort or another: floors vanish, blades spring out, ceilings collapse, etc.

Some of the questions are rather vague, leaving a lot of room for interpretation and PC creativity.
Yes, that one looked a lot like it was lifted straight out of Indiana Jones...

GP

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:00 pm

Oh, it's got a very Indiana Jones vibe.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Parzival
Orc

Post by Parzival » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:54 pm

I love puzzles in a dungeon. I typically put at least one in every adventure I create. I’ve done physical puzzles, riddle puzzles, code puzzles, and (my favorite) “pay attention to the details” clue puzzles. (I particularly love springing the latter on teen players, who invariably don’t. “Wait... he said something about that earlier, didn’t he?” gets said a lot. That’ll learn ‘em. :twisted: )
DM’s Rule: The best answer is the one that’s the most fun, or horrifies your players. Which is the same thing. :cool:

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:23 pm

I love puzzles where the dungeon itself is the puzzles. Rotating and shifting rooms, corridors and other elements. I once played in a solo game and the GM was impressed with my ability to deduce that the dungeon was a mechanical construct that moved things around ... he told me that he had run it several times and that I was the first to figure it out.

Parzival
Orc

Post by Parzival » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:18 pm

My recent favorite creation: The Endless Hallway. The party is magically transported into a length hallway that appears to continue in both directions without change or exit. It’s actually a perfectly normal hall about 100’ long, with no distinguishing features. Invisible teleport traps are located at each end of the hall. Beyond the trap, the actual end wall is hidden by an illusion of the hall continuing onward into darkness (out of visual range). The teleport traps simply move the person entering the trap to the teleport spot on the other end, but produces no visual or physical sensation of being teleported. The illusion pretty much acts as a CCTV, showing whatever is in the opposite end of the hall— so if a party member enters the teleport space, he is now actually behind the party in the normal hallway, but appears to be just walking down the hall in front of them! There is a secret door which is very difficult to find hidden midway along the hall— and it’s the way out. In the meantime, the illusion also creates illusory skeletons “guards” who appear behind the party (regardless of which way they travel), which the party must fight, only to have them vanish and reappear later.

Obviously, this is a puzzle for low level parties. But it’s a lot of fun, as the players begin to realize “somethin’ ain’t right” and start trying to solve things. :cool:
DM’s Rule: The best answer is the one that’s the most fun, or horrifies your players. Which is the same thing. :cool:

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:00 am

Parzival wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:18 pm
My recent favorite creation: The Endless Hallway. The party is magically transported into a length hallway that appears to continue in both directions without change or exit. It’s actually a perfectly normal hall about 100’ long, with no distinguishing features. Invisible teleport traps are located at each end of the hall. Beyond the trap, the actual end wall is hidden by an illusion of the hall continuing onward into darkness (out of visual range). The teleport traps simply move the person entering the trap to the teleport spot on the other end, but produces no visual or physical sensation of being teleported. The illusion pretty much acts as a CCTV, showing whatever is in the opposite end of the hall— so if a party member enters the teleport space, he is now actually behind the party in the normal hallway, but appears to be just walking down the hall in front of them! There is a secret door which is very difficult to find hidden midway along the hall— and it’s the way out. In the meantime, the illusion also creates illusory skeletons “guards” who appear behind the party (regardless of which way they travel), which the party must fight, only to have them vanish and reappear later.

Obviously, this is a puzzle for low level parties. But it’s a lot of fun, as the players begin to realize “somethin’ ain’t right” and start trying to solve things. :cool:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:31 pm

My long-lasting obsession as a puzzler is with creating a 25x25 Sudoku grid, using all but one of the letters of the English alphabet, and spelling out a hidden message for the PCs in the completed grid. Obviously this is quite a tall order, since it requires a message made up of 25 or fewer words, all of them 5 letters or less, and none of them containing a duplicated letter.

On a less ambitious scale, I also like doing versions of Sudoku around nine fantasy Elements (eg the classic elements plus Lightning, Thunder, Light, Dark, and Cold). Just taking the numbers out changes the Sudoku experience enough to revitalize it, IMO.

If I knew how to code, I'd try it for 2048 as well....

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:57 pm

Here's a fun one from the Tower of Zenopus (the sample dungeon from the Holmes Blue D&D booklet, which I rewrote for 6th level PCs). The dungeon includes a square room with four doors and a statue at the center of it. When the PCs enter the room, the statue is facing them. They cannot open any other door until they rotate the statue to face that door. Nice, non-lethal trap that's not too terribly difficult to figure out. They even used it to their advantage to trap some slow-moving undead they were running away from (like the craven cowards they are...;) )
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:05 pm

night_druid wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:57 pm
Here's a fun one from the Tower of Zenopus (the sample dungeon from the Holmes Blue D&D booklet, which I rewrote for 6th level PCs). The dungeon includes a square room with four doors and a statue at the center of it. When the PCs enter the room, the statue is facing them. They cannot open any other door until they rotate the statue to face that door. Nice, non-lethal trap that's not too terribly difficult to figure out. They even used it to their advantage to trap some slow-moving undead they were running away from (like the craven cowards they are...;) )
Well designed and well played!

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:20 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:05 pm
night_druid wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:57 pm
Well designed and well played!
Blame Holmes; its one area I left pretty much unchanged ;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:43 pm

For 3E players like myself, the Book of Challenges has a lot of these kinds of things. I'm particularly fond of the Infinite Frogs room....

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:42 am

willpell wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:43 pm
For 3E players like myself, the Book of Challenges has a lot of these kinds of things. I'm particularly fond of the Infinite Frogs room....
There was also a Grimtooth book for 3E. I never bought it, but it is on my radar of ones to acquire.

Return to “The Squishy Bits”