[5e] How many sessions of D&D 5e did you participate in?

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

How many sessions of D&D 5e did you participate in?

Less than 10
21%
10-19
No votes
20-29
16%
30-39
5%
40-49
11%
50-59
5%
60-69
5%
70-79
No votes
80-89
No votes
90 or more
37%

Total votes: 19

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[5e] How many sessions of D&D 5e did you participate in?

Post by shesheyan »

I participated in 6 (3-5 hour) sessions with Mines of Phadelver, 12 with Rise of Tiamat, 6 with my defunct Blackmoor campaign and 12 with my ongoing Valley of the Utherden home-brew campaign. 2 with Cursed of Strahd, which we did not finish because the DM quit on it. 2 with the LOTR 5e rules which also died. So 40 sessions since 5e edition came out.

Edit: I forgot to add my 5 solo (no DM) sessions and the solo game with my wife using the Essential Kit: Total 46.
Last edited by shesheyan on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [5e] How many sessions of D&D 5e did you participate in?

Post by Havard »

Chronicle of the Last Elves/Blackmoor (DM): 22 Sessions
Pirate Isle (Player) 1 Session
Edge of Chaos (Player): 18 Sessions
Isle of Dawn/Mystara (DM): 3
Fire Mage Saga (player): 0 (Starting soon)

46 total. More than I thought to be honest. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

I think the missus and I got through about.... six..?.. before Real Life intruded and ate up all the game time...
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:25 pm

I participated in 6 (3-5 hour) sessions with Mines of Phadelver, 12 with Rise of Tiamat, 6 with my defunct Blackmoor campaign and 12 with my ongoing Valley of the Utherden home-brew campaign. 2 with Cursed of Strahd, which we did not finish because the DM quit on it. 2 with the LOTR 5e rules which also died. So 40 sessions since 5e edition came out.
I forgot to add my 5 solo (no DM) sessions and the solo game with my wife using the Essential Kit: Total 46.

Parzival
Hobgoblin

Post by Parzival »

One to two sessions a week for about 8-10 weeks over the last three summers, all original adventures of my own. I’m putting the total at 40-49, but it might actually be higher. I was the DM in all sessions but one (which wasn’t so much a 5e session as it was general roleplaying silliness).
DM’s Rule: The best answer is the one that’s the most fun, or horrifies your players. Which is the same thing. :cool:

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

RobJN wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:49 pm
I think the missus and I got through about.... six..?.. before Real Life intruded and ate up all the game time...
Hope things get better. You do have the pbp that has been going on for several months now. ;)

Can you put your total on the poll? Thanks.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick »

Playing Phandelver: I don't recall, probably a half dozen or so sessions?
Running part of Phandelver: 5 sessions
Running Sunless Citadel: 6 sessions
Running Forge of Fury: 7 sessions
Playing in my daughter's new homebrew campaign: 3, so far.

So, solidly in the mid-to-upper 20's.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon »

Less than one hour.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:47 pm
Less than one hour.
Was the DM that bad on not helping you understand 5e or its just that you didn't like it.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon »

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:56 pm
Was the DM that bad on not helping you understand 5e or its just that you didn't like it.
While I certain like design elements of 5E, the system on the whole does not capture the magical experience of role-playing that I have gotten from previous editions. It's not that I wouldn't play 5E, but given a choice systems it is extremely low on the totem pole.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath »

I believe that I started playing 5e in the summer of 2015, or possibly even a bit later - like in September or October. IDR, so I've played 5e for nearly 4 1/2 years now.

I've played nearly every week since then, with only a few weeks that I wasn't able to attend, or my group cancelled, postponed, or otherwise took a break due to holidays, etc., and last summer we were going all out with 2 sessions a week between July and October, so by my calculations....

236 sessions. :shock: (give or take 2-4 sessions)

-When I started 3 sessions into the first 5e campaign I was in as a part of our "Gamestore Cowboys" group in Nathan's homebrew that I later came to call "The Old World: New Mercia" we played weekly for a little under a year, then Nathan went off to college in another state.

-I took over part-time DMing, and started my homebrew "Old World" campaign that I missed out on DMing more sessions than any other time since because of work. Three other players were "guest" DMs in this period, and all three were fun, and didn't wreck the campaign world or arc, but two of them introduced homebrewed magic items that were OP, but sometimes fun to use. :lol:

-A new job in late 2016, reset the campaign with new characters in "Dakan Mar: Reedwindle and the Cold Witch of the North". One player was a guest DM a couple times, when I knew I'd be late, and these were really fun sessions, but we wound up with some really offbeat treasures. 100 thin bed-sized sheets of platinum and gold, copper and brass fittings and parts that could've eventually be used to create something steampunk or futuristic, etc.

-Sometime later in 2017, started "Dakan Mar: Ermus Dock" campaign. We played through 3 epic character background campaign arcs. 2 more were planned, but the group wanted a change of scenery and different characters.

-We've been tramping around (weekly) Into the Borderlands (OAR1) since May of 2018, also played several sessions of OP D&D with DM Ryan. (Again, Never share your campaign world with other DMs who are not fully onboard with your campaign world style!) :roll:

-Ghosts of Saltmarsh 4 or 5 sessions since September 2019.

-Have played in Rich's Innistrad campaign since July 2019, weekly or bi-weekly. We sometimes crammed 2 sessions a week - one Innistrad and one Into the Borderlands.

There were also a few one-shots and side quest type of adventures slipped into the larger campaigns, because they looked like they were fun to play. One of these days, I hope we can finish "Jack's Funhouse" - a Halloween "IT" style one-shot that we weren't able to complete due to time and scheduling. I was a player in that one, and we only got as far as the talking hippo in the foyer entrance of the funhouse. :?
So Long and Thanks For All the Fish!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Dread Delgath wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:20 pm
Consider me FRACKING jealous! :lol: :lol: :lol:

CommanderCrud
Gnoll

Post by CommanderCrud »

Somewhere in the 30-40 sessions range each for the Tyranny of Dragons, Princes of the Apocalypse, Out of the Abyss, Curse of Strahd, and Storm King's Thunder books. Another 20-30 or so of the Expeditions from those same seasons played at cons. A handful of random one shots, plus two currently running homebrew campaigns, one at session 10, and the other at session 52.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath »

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:51 pm
Dread Delgath wrote:
Consider me FRACKING jealous! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks. ;)

I've been extremely lucky to have a fairly consistent group of players too. My first Gamestore Cowboy session had 11 players and the DM. Over a few weeks, we trimmed this number down to 8, but we were able to replace some that left with great people, and we held onto this specific group for nearly a year until the first DM left for college.

We lost some players due to attrition since then, but for every two we lost, we gained one stellar replacement.

My schedule change last year brought about the largest changes in personnel, and we're currently sitting at 3 main core players, with 2-3 others showing up when they can.

Its those guys that make this game great. :cool:
So Long and Thanks For All the Fish!

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

3 or so, plus approximately the same amount on D&D playtest versions -- which might or might not resemble the actual game (it's been years).

GP

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin »

We've played since late in 2014, shortly after it released, and have played every week for the most part. There have been a few breaks in between switching between our two ongoing campaigns & DMs, missing some due to life and scheduling and holidays, etc..

So I don't know the exact number but it is certainly in the "90 or more" category.

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball »

I've been playing weekly, sometimes twice-weekly, since the PHB came out (actually, since before then as we played using the playtest materials). That's probably quite a lot of sessions.
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

finarvyn
Bugbear

Post by finarvyn »

Dread Delgath wrote:
236 sessions.
I'm somewhere around that total myself. My spreadsheet suggests 226 sessions, but I know that I don't always get it updated so it's likely a few more.

I have been playing 5E since it was in playtest (as "D&D Next") and play almost every Sunday at my local game store as part of the Adventurer's League program. I have more than a dozen characters, most around 6th-8th level or so. My top character is level 14, I think. I usually play a character until that 6-8 range then start over, as I'm from that old school mentality that 8th level is a Super Hero and I lose interest in characters somewhere around there.

In earlier years I had to play for quite a few sessions in order to level up, as we were slogging through hardbacks. In the newer AL with the one-shot modules you can level up almost as fast as you like. The disadvantage to leveling up too quickly is that characters can only play in certain tiered adventures and if you level up too fast you may not get to play in the ones being offered at the store. Takes a little juggling sometimes to have the right character ready at the right time.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Discussion player Since 1975
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

dpmcalister
Goblin

Post by dpmcalister »

I couldn't break to down exactly, but I log my plays at RPG Geek and that shows 126 (including last Friday's). The campaigns (from memory) have been:

Lost Mine of Phandelver (played and then DM'd)
Hoard of the Dragon Queen (DM'd)
The Forge of Fury (played)
Princes of the Apocalypse (played)
Scourge of the Sword Coast - prologue for Storm King's Thunder (DM'd)
Storm King's Thunder and homebrew epilogue (DM'd)
Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus (playing now)

Currently planning Rise of Tiamat and homebrew pirates campaigns.

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball »

I mentioned earlier that we've played a lot of sessions. I'm now trying to think in terms of campaigns.

1) A Greyhawk campaign, that went from 1st level to 11th level, comprising of B1 (In Search of the Unknown), T1-4 (Temple of Elemental Evil), A1-4 (Scourge of the Slave Lords), X8 (Drums on Fire Mountain), UK1 (Beyond the Crystal Cave), and the first part of Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.

2) An epic Mystara campaign, that went from 1st level to Immortals, comprising of B5 (Horror on the Hill), parts of Wrath of the Immortals, B10 (Night's Dark Terror), X6 (Quagmire!), X4 (Master of the Desert Nomads), X5 (Temple of Death), DA2 (Temple of the Frog), DA3 (City of the Gods), X10 (Red Arrow, Black Shield), CM1 (Test of Warlords), CM2 (Death's Ride), CM3 (Sabre River), CM4 (Earthshaker!), CM6 (Where Chaos Reigns), M1 (Into the Maelstrom), M2 (Vengeance of Alphaks), M5 (Talons of Night), IM1 (The Immortal Storm), IM2 (Wrath of Olympus).

3) Hoard of the Dragon Queen + the first part of Tyrrany of Dragons, going from 1st level to 6th level before stopping unfinished

4) Curse of Strahd, going from 1st level to 9th level; followed by Tales from the Yawning Portal, going from 9th level to 15th level. It was interesting doing the low level Yawning Portal adventures while far higher level than they expected - there was far more talking and far less fighting than there would otherwise have been.

5) Out of the Abyss, going from 1st level to 12th level.

6) Waterdeep Dragon Heist + Dungeon of the Mad Mage, going from 1st level to currently 8th level and ongoing - likely to reach 20th level if we're lucky.

7) Tomb of Annihilation, going from 1st level to 10th level and ongoing (but nearly finished), which will be followed by Descent into Avernus (adapted for higher level play, with the fallen city being changed from Elturiel to Mezro in order to tie it into the existing ToA as a continuation of it). Likely to reach a level in the high teens.

Of the above, I am/was the DM for 1, 2, 4 (part 2), 5, and 7; and a player in 3, 4 (part 1), and 6.

That's well in excess of 200 sessions in total.

Edit: I think the above is incomplete, because I'm pretty certain we've also done a campaign that included I3-5 (Desert of Desolation), but that wasn't any of the campaigns listed above.
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

FaerieGodfather
Shroompunk Warlord

Post by FaerieGodfather »

Ran a weekly game for like a year and a half. Have done some play-by-post as a player, also, however that counts.

Do not intend to add to that count.

talsine
Priest of Syrinx

Post by talsine »

I ran a 12 session game, and played in a pair of 10 to 12 sessions games before I just gave up and admitted that i hate the system. It felt like a massive step back for me as a GM from 4E and as a player, i hated the lack of options or meaningful choices to make after level 3. I know it's popular, and I won't stop people from playing it, but i will never touch it again myself.

Though, i should also mention that I was pretty over high fantasy in general at the time, so that certainly colored my experience as a GM, the last time i played was within the last 12 months, so i trust my feelings on that side of the screen, so to speak.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”