Darokin's Great Reckoning

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Darokin Valuation on Magic Items.

Magic Items are not included in The Great Reckoning
18%
Magic items are included at their non-magical value
29%
Magic items are included as magic items (by some system that values magic items)
47%
Other
6%

Total votes: 17

ricks03
Goblin

Darokin's Great Reckoning

Post by ricks03 »

In Darokin, your status is determined by your personal wealth, which is assessed every 5 years in the Great Reckoning.

The Great Reckoning assesses an individual's "Total Worth". Values are placed on all possessions of all residents, including home, land, livestock, businesses, personal items, cash, and other assets. That worth determines an individual's taxes, and defines the extent to which they can participate in Darokin government. (Taxes are calculated as the delta from one Total Worth calculation to the next, but not where I'm headed).

So where do magic items fall in this? Most magic items have an inherent (non-magical) value, as magic items are generally created from valuable objects in their own right. BECMI doesn't (AFAIK) assign values to magic items like other editions. Were I to (for example) use the magic prices in other editions, PCs would almost immediately vault to the top of the Darokinian political structure (and that's before compensating for the difference in values between editions).

antesse
Goblin

Re: Darokin's Great Reckoning

Post by antesse »

If magic items were to included in calculations of wealth, you'd have to have a centralized network of appraisers and introduce gold piece values for magic items to the economy. One complication to this is the demystification of magic items and having some in-game explanation for numerical values (this +2 sword giving you a +5% better chance of hitting than that +1 sword).

As for rich magic-item bearing PCs going to the top of the political structure, remember that wealth only makes you eligible for political office and doesn't guarantee being elected or nominated or chosen for political office. So, you might become the richest man in Darokin but the great merchant houses have more connections and political power than you will ever have.

stebehil
Troll

Post by stebehil »

This comes down to the question if magic is quantifiable from an in-universe point of view. A gp value could only be assigned if a more or less objective way to appraise the magical effect did exist. Is the difference between the "pluses" of weapons and armor recognizable? What about charges in a wand? And how would wondrous items be appraised? A society as fixated on monetary value as Darokin would surely want a way to put a price tag on magic. After all, a magical sword is "better" than a mundane one, so it should be worth more. I could imagine official "mages of the appraisal" charged with doing exactly that: using specialized spells to find out just what exactly a magical item does. It would in effect be a higher level version of the "Analyze" spell (RC, p. 44), and would need to translate the result in gp value. And this surely would need to be taken into account.

Would it be permissible to hide the fact that an item is magical? Say, somebody does not want to let anybody know that they wear an medallion of ESP, and lets it be appraised as a mundane item. This might be seen as tax evasion.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Great topic :)

Other:
I would attribute them some value, but not actual market value which would probably be insane in many cases. I would probably go higher than the non-magical value of the item though. Maybe ranging from double to ten times the non-magical value. The exact value would be set by a tax inspector so it would allow some subjective measures.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

antesse
Goblin

Post by antesse »

stebehil wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:47 am
Would it be permissible to hide the fact that an item is magical? Say, somebody does not want to let anybody know that they wear an medallion of ESP, and lets it be appraised as a mundane item. This might be seen as tax evasion.
This idea makes me wonder what other things the wealthy of Darokin might hide. Once you're past a certain bracket, such as a million daros, and nowhere close to the next, such as three million daros, would it be advantageous to try to conceal assets? A private safehouse far from the city, just in case you need to disappear? A cache of gold in a hidden vault so that should you lose everything you don't lose everything? Enough money to support your secret second family or illegitimate child? The means to run a small spy network to monitor the other families? A small army of golems ready to be activated? Your secret vigilante cave because you're the fantasy equivalent of Batman (or maybe just a secret adventurer)? Actual illegal contraband, drugs, weapons, and materials for nefarious plots?

stebehil
Troll

Post by stebehil »

Rich people in the real world have possibilities forever denied to the average guy. Why should this be any different in a fantasy world, especially in a setting like Darokin where money is key? You can bet that the filthy rich have things to hide and the means to do so. Sounds like a setting for an intrigue-rich story. With the possibilities of magic thrown into the mix, it becomes quite open in every direction. That ostentatious gold ring? A ring of recall to your safe house, where further assets are available. And that is a nice little trick you don´t want to know anybody about. What lengths do you go to hide that? Using an invisible stalker to do away with a rival who has found out what you are hiding?

Greenbrier
Orc

Post by Greenbrier »

However you structure it, I think Darokin's Great Reckoning is an awesome name for a rather mundane and often unpleasant event. In World of Warcraft the Blood Elves racial motto is "The Reckoning is at hand" - lol never imagined they were talking about tax day, but perhaps Silvermoon City is full of accountants? At least in Darokin April 15th, or whatever tax day is called where you live, only comes once every 5 years!
:?: Vote for your favorite Prince of Glantri! http://thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23516

ricks03
Goblin

Post by ricks03 »

antesse wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:22 pm
stebehil wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:47 am
This idea makes me wonder what other things the wealthy of Darokin might hide. Once you're past a certain bracket, such as a million daros, and nowhere close to the next, such as three million daros, would it be advantageous to try to conceal assets? A private safehouse far from the city, just in case you need to disappear? A cache of gold in a hidden vault so that should you lose everything you don't lose everything? Enough money to support your secret second family or illegitimate child? The means to run a small spy network to monitor the other families? A small army of golems ready to be activated? Your secret vigilante cave because you're the fantasy equivalent of Batman (or maybe just a secret adventurer)? Actual illegal contraband, drugs, weapons, and materials for nefarious plots?
Well, some of that is dependent on actual financial scale. The 4th level spell "embezzle" only permits hiding 100 gp / level, implying that hiding funds is hard. In a world where magic can determine if someone is lying, it should be. All it takes is a divination "net worth" spell. It might be rare, but worth it for the 1% to keep them honest.

There aren't likely to be many in that 1,000,000+ category, so not that much work to check on them. If the culture is that paying taxes is good, not that whoever gets away with the most evasion is just clever, then that adds some stigma. Imagine a culture where successfully cheating at taxes wasn't worthy of praise, but of horror and disdain.

To the original post, I decided magic items don't count at all. It my world magic items of consequence aren't bought or sold. I'd also have to "assess" the value of every item of every PC, and that would be a PITA.

Return to “Mystara”