Question about Lore Change

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Seethyr
Couatl

Question about Lore Change

Post by Seethyr »

I am incredibly hesitant to post this, lest it appear to be an edition bashing session. That is utterly not even close to my intention, and I'll go on record saying 5th edition in general is one of my favorite editions, PERIOD. My goodness, I think it saved and expanded the game in such wonderful ways, major two thumbs up!

My curiosity rather, came up because of a post on Candlekeep about a change of Graz'zt's realm name from Azzagrat to Azzatar.

I notice a lot of things like these, minor changes that don't seem caused by a lack of research on the authors part, nor do they remove anything problematic or nonsensical.

In the Candlekeep post, I mentioned the creatures of the Monster Manual in 5e. Disclaimer - they are awesome! BUT, I am curious why the kraken no longer looks, well, like it has for 40 years. Why did the morkoth suddenly become something spawned from a dead god, why is the word obyrith gone completely from the demonic lexicon? Are these decisions made willy-nilly or is there an intent?

The way I see it, as a company that has a massive, massive diversity in ages, you are not going to be able to always keep both ends happy. However, in easy circumstances, why not try? Just keep it Azzagrat, just make a new creature called the MorkUth and make a mutant kraken that looks like that really cool thing in the MM. Anyway, I am not ranting, I am confused, and I so desperately would like to stop having lore countered.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Re: Question about Lore Change

Post by Dread Delgath »

Seethyr wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:27 pm
I am incredibly hesitant to post this, lest it appear to be an edition bashing session. That is utterly not even close to my intention, and I'll go on record saying 5th edition in general is one of my favorite editions, PERIOD. My goodness, I think it saved and expanded the game in such wonderful ways, major two thumbs up!
I've decided to just not talk about 5e here anymore. I can get help elsewhere.

As for the name changes, I cannot help you with the whys or whatnot, but I always run with lore that I am familiar with, or with whatever sounds more fun to play; hang the official stuff!
So Long and Thanks For All the Fish!

Seethyr
Couatl

Re: Question about Lore Change

Post by Seethyr »

Dread Delgath wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:02 pm
Seethyr wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:27 pm
I've decided to just not talk about 5e here anymore. I can get help elsewhere.

As for the name changes, I cannot help you with the whys or whatnot, but I always run with lore that I am familiar with, or with whatever sounds more fun to play; hang the official stuff!
One solution I have found to adjust in long-standing campaigns and experienced players is to slightly alter names. I said ”morkuth” in jest, but that’s honestly what I do.

I don’t dislike the new ideas, I just don’t understand why they are used to overwrite the old. It’s like a nervous tic that designers have to make things their own. I guess if Azzatar is the new name for all future time you own it now.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”