What was the demon fever plague?

"And if I die I'll see you in Manifest before I go."
The Book-House: Find the Ghostwalk book.

Moderator: Big Mac

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

What was the demon fever plague?

Post by Big Mac »

280 years ago before the date of the Ghostwalk book a plague, called demon fever hit the region around Manifest.
Ghostwalk: Chapter 2: The City of Manifest: The History of Manifest: The Eater of the Dead wrote:As it had twice before, Manifest prospered. It was rebuilt over a span of two dozen years, and the population soared again. Although a plague of demon fever dealt the whole region a terrible blow, forty years of prosperity afterward was able to erase most of its dire consequences.
I've searched through the rest of the book for "demon fever", but that is all there is.

The god Khostren, does have plague, in his portfolio. So, I suppose that his clerics might have been behind bringing the plague to the area.

And clerics of Dracanish are tasked to eradicate plague. So there could have been a mission by Dracanish's church against the demon fever. But, if it took forty years to get rid of the plague, it must have been fairly serious.

Has anyone seen anything called "demon fever" in any of the core rulebooks?

How many extra people would it have killed? How many excess ghosts would there have been for forty years?

Could people die of demon fever and then be brought back to life (and cured of the fever)?

Would demon fever have done anything other than kill it's victims (like turn them into hosts for demons)?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: What was the demon fever plague?

Post by Big Mac »

I found demon fever in the SRD:
Demon Fever in the SRD wrote:Demon Fever

Night hags spread it. Can cause permanent ability drain.
Here is what the Night Hag entry says:
Night Hag in the SRD wrote:Disease (Ex)

Demon fever—bite, Fortitude DC 18, incubation period 1 day, damage 1d6 Con. Each day after the first, on a failed save, an afflicted creature must immediately succeed on another DC 18 Fortitude save or take 1 point of Constitution drain. The save DC is Constitution based.
So it looks like there must have been a plague of Night Hags...or a plague of creatures with the ability to cause the same disease as Night Hags.

Perhaps the worshippers of Khostren, could spread demon fever to rats or somesuch.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: What was the demon fever plague?

Post by Tim Baker »

In City of the Spider Queen, the stat block for the abyssal ghoul has a description of Demon Fever as well. Its description is the same as what you have for the Night Hag entry above.

Return to “Ghostwalk”