Possibility Chip Images

"The storm has a name..." Discuss both TORG and TORG Eternity here.
Greymarch2000
Hobgoblin

Possibility Chip Images

Post by Greymarch2000 »

Don't know how feasible such thing would be, but would it be possible to have image or pdf versions of the various cosms (but especially the original) possibility chips available? I have the physical chips, but my campaign is online and I think it would be cool to have "actual" chips they could spend just like as if we were playing in person.

I may have brought this up before on the US boards, but hey it's a fresh start for all of us here. :)

Atama
Orc

Re: Possibility Chip Images

Post by Atama »

I believe the chip images are cropped from book art, so if nothing else you can probably grab a screen capture from book PDFs if you need to reproduce them.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek 8-))

Istrian
Orc

Post by Istrian »

The images might even be available as part of the Infiniverse Exchange materials.

Sir Alain Fisk
Bugbear

Post by Sir Alain Fisk »

They're not. If you're playing on Roll 20, you would have to extract them like the cards and, set them up in a card deck. I've thought of doing that, before, but the image disparity in the card box for each Player is really bad. Do you have an idea for how they might otherwise be added to the game, where you could store them, or each Player could store them?

I have separate decks for each deck and cosm type, and were I to add those in my game, that would be eight more decks.

So far, I have...
Destiny,

Drama Core, Drama Living Land, Drama Nile Empire, Drama Aysle, and will soon have Drama Cyberpapacy, and

Cosm for each realm, so...

that's 13, soon to be 14, plus my hand/pool separator deck.

By the time all is said and done, I'll have 18, and if I add in Possibility Chips, 26, and that doesn't include my hand/pool separator.
When I was running Torg Eternity for my family in 2018, my youngest Son (18, then) had a Nile Empire Weird Scientist with a robot nicknamed Stompy. At the end of the last adventure we played before my Wife and I moved to Texas, he asked,

“Hey Dad, can Stompy have Stealth?” This is a 450-pound robot being made into a Weird Science helper, made almost of solid steel, and he wanted to add Stealth… we died the table-round at the prospect.

Greymarch2000
Hobgoblin

Post by Greymarch2000 »

Yeah currently I have them as "cards" dealt out but I am worried that with everything else in peoples hands it might end up being too much.

Originally I had it as the blue bar on tokens, but with the new sheet the bars start at 0 and fill up for Shock and Health and it just doesn't look "right" for the possibilities bar to be there. I may just stick with the bar, or just keep the bar for enemies, but we'll see after I test it out on Thursdays game.

GiGs
Orc

Post by GiGs »

For Possibilities, you could just set them up in a single deck, make the deck infinite (no shuffling needed), and allow selecting of cards from the deck. Then you can just give people possibilities easily, and it doesnt take up much extra space (one extra deck for all of them).

Sword of Spirit
Orc

Post by Sword of Spirit »

I went serious table-top simulation mode on d20 and just made a bunch of copies of the token and set them on a tabletop background, so players can drag them to their assigned spot and drag them back into the pile.

Or in other words, I took the easy route.

That's also how I dealt with cards in play. Players could just drag them out of their hands onto their spot on the table. You can set it so other players can look at your hand, so that gives everyone the ability to coordinate. Next time we play on Roll20, I'll probably use the better solution from the forum of having a divider card to show what is in your hand versus in play.

I did have the issue that, unlike the decks, the tokens don't exist in any of the digital material. I think there are pictures of like two or three of them in the pdfs or somewhere, so those are the only ones I used. It would be nice to have a bigger selection to work with.

Greymarch2000
Hobgoblin

Post by Greymarch2000 »

GiGs wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:12 am
For Possibilities, you could just set them up in a single deck, make the deck infinite (no shuffling needed), and allow selecting of cards from the deck. Then you can just give people possibilities easily, and it doesnt take up much extra space (one extra deck for all of them).
That is in the end what I ended up doing

GiGs
Orc

Post by GiGs »

Sword of Spirit wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:43 am
I did have the issue that, unlike the decks, the tokens don't exist in any of the digital material. I think there are pictures of like two or three of them in the pdfs or somewhere, so those are the only ones I used. It would be nice to have a bigger selection to work with.
I have been having trouble finding good quality images to use as the possibilities too. It's weird.

Greymarch2000
Hobgoblin

Post by Greymarch2000 »

I ended up finding a png of a generic poker chip and just put the backs of Destiny/Cosm cards in them.

But yeah, pdfs of the official ones would be keen. :D

GiGs
Orc

Post by GiGs »

Greymarch2000 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:56 am
I ended up finding a png of a generic poker chip and just put the backs of Destiny/Cosm cards in them.

But yeah, pdfs of the official ones would be keen. :D
Hehe when I saw your screenshot, just after my last post, I came up with the same idea. Though obviously it was your idea first.

Sir Alain Fisk
Bugbear

Post by Sir Alain Fisk »

Greymarch2000 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:21 pm
Yeah currently I have them as "cards" dealt out but I am worried that with everything else in peoples hands it might end up being too much.
That's exactly why I won't add them, they're just too much. If Roll 20 would turn the cards window into a detachable wallet for all those sorts of things, it would be nice. I found out, last night, the chat window is detachable; I don't know how I did it, but once I hit the X on that window it all went back to the selection bar on the right. If they're working to make those things detachable, perhaps they'll do so with the card window, as well.
Originally I had it as the blue bar on tokens, but with the new sheet the bars start at 0 and fill up for Shock and Health and it just doesn't look "right" for the possibilities bar to be there. I may just stick with the bar, or just keep the bar for enemies, but we'll see after I test it out on Thursdays game.
My solution to that was to change the colors and organization of the bars. The top bar is a dark yellow, some might call it orange and it's for Shock, the middle bar is blood red and stands for Wounds, and the bottom bar is a dark blue, for Possibilities. With the changes Roll 20 have made to the bar with the + symbol at the right side of the bar if you have more than your overall allotment (for Possibilities that's 3 for the reset, if you use the reset), the bar remains the same length, even when the number of actual Possibilities goes above and beyond.

What I'm worried about is the solution to Cosm-based Possibilities, once the final Sourcebook comes out. I'm hoping Roll 20 will have their selection wheel done by that time on the tokens and life will be easier to deal with overall.

I've read the remainder of the comments, here, and I'm just going to have my Players track their own on the Character record; though, my Players and I did have a discussion about the Cosm-specific Possibilities and we've decided to not use them... at least, for now. I think those will wait for me to have an actual tabletop group, again. Much more work than I desire to put into it. I still need to get the Cyberpapacy cards shuffled into the decks I already have, for heaven's sake. I'm going to fall behind, here, and that's just not any good for anyone, hehe.
When I was running Torg Eternity for my family in 2018, my youngest Son (18, then) had a Nile Empire Weird Scientist with a robot nicknamed Stompy. At the end of the last adventure we played before my Wife and I moved to Texas, he asked,

“Hey Dad, can Stompy have Stealth?” This is a 450-pound robot being made into a Weird Science helper, made almost of solid steel, and he wanted to add Stealth… we died the table-round at the prospect.

MGDawson
Goblin

Post by MGDawson »

Seems like lots here are struggling and looking for an image based solution. While a great idea, between destiny cards, cosm cards, and now 7 invading cosm possibilities (plus expecting a CE cosm book later and potentially CE possibilities) that's 8. Tracking all of those images on the tabletop is quite a pain in the arse and really not very piratical in my mind.

However, the new character sheet does provide a way to do it. We've been successfully playing with cosm specific possibilities since their introduction, both with the old character sheet and the new. While the old character sheet did make this much easier, it is still possible with the new, and relatively easy.

Step 1: Recognize that the possibilities shown on the character sheet when you open it are going to be your total (regular generic ones AND cosm specific ones).

Step 2: Recognize that if you click the STATUS title on the character sheet it pulls up a list for your Cosm specific possibilities ONLY.

Step 3: Pick one of the radial balloons for your players tokens and link their possibilities to that token. Now you get a bar (we use blue) that tracks each players TOTAL possibilities. Yes, you have to set the limit to 3 for the bar to display (if you leave the limit blank you get nothing). This is because unlike shock and wounds possibilities don't have an upper limit. And yes if the players have more than 3 you get a little + symbol in the bar. But really, that's good enough. Now the players can see who is low (below 3 the bar goes down...maybe the players want to do something to earn more) and who has "plenty" at the moment (has a +). (Realistically you could pick any number, but 3 is somewhat the default. That is where everybody goes back to when possibilities reset. If you want to set this number to 10 you can, it just scales your bar...maybe your players like 5..what ever works for you).

Step 4: When spending or gaining possibilities players have to remember that for general possibilities, they just click the + and - buttons on the character sheet or just edit the radio balloon when it pops out (which is 90% of the time what they will do). For Cosm specific ones not only do they have to click the + or - buttons on the character sheet (or edit the radio balloon) so that the total changes, they also have to select the STATUS title and manually edit the cosm specific possibility that are gaining or spending. Because of how the sheet was built the various kinds of possibilities don't add up. So you have to add a manual step to gain or spend a cosm specific possibility only. But then again, this isn't any different than the old sheet. The old sheet tracked them individually also.

It's not really that hard to track, and if you do the setup properly the players do get a visual indication of who has how many. They can see who is low and who has plenty (perhaps time for a transfer destiny card?). Just like at the table top. They don't know who has how many of what kind, but do they really care?

And this isn't much different that the old character sheet. The advantage the old sheet had over this one was it did have a specific spot to track general possibilities. With the addition of the + / - buttons that function went away. But if you want to play with Cosm specific possibilities you can. And you don't have to go through all of the effort looking for images, creating decks, etc.

If for some reason this method offends you because of the lack of images, or the fact that you get a + in the bar, or whatever, then by all means just don't use them. Or go through the effort of creating all of those possibility tokens if you want them. There is nothing wrong with either of those solutions. The cosm specific possibilities add flavor, they don't change the game nor how the game is played. But if you want that flavor (and at my table we do) and you don't want to put it work to create 8 additional decks for possibility tokens (I don't) and you don't want all of those images polluting the play area (I don't), then this is a fairly easy trick that once your players get used to it allows you to have cosm specific possibilities. Without having to create a bunch of decks with poker chips, etc.

MGDawson
Goblin

Post by MGDawson »

Sir Alain Fisk wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:32 pm
Greymarch2000 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:21 pm
That's exactly why I won't add them, they're just too much. If Roll 20 would turn the cards window into a detachable wallet for all those sorts of things, it would be nice. I found out, last night, the chat window is detachable; I don't know how I did it, but once I hit the X on that window it all went back to the selection bar on the right. If they're working to make those things detachable, perhaps they'll do so with the card window, as well.

Double click the text balloon icon tab for the chat window and it pops out. I don't recall seeing anything on the Roll20 changes list upcoming that they have any plans for making the cards pop out into a wallet thing. I like Roll20, but it seems that they are in the middle of a huge change to the base functionality of the web site. They've been talking about the upcoming lighting change for i think over a year now, and it just previewed on the development server not to long ago. And the release has been pushed back twice. I don't think we can expect any new features until they get through the planned changes, which I think is going to take them a bit.

Sounds like an enhancement request for later.

Greymarch2000
Hobgoblin

Post by Greymarch2000 »

Yes, I am aware of how the possibilities on the sheet work thank you. The bar on the tokens is how I was doing it until the new sheet came out, but with the way things work now with Wounds and Shock being additive it doesn't look good having 2 bars that start empty and fill as used and one bar that starts full and empties as used.

It is very likely that in the near future we will switch to just the standard sheets for PCs and using token images for monsters. But for now we're trying it out as cards - and just one "deck" which each cosm being a different "card" so it doesn't go too crazy for a few sessions to see how it goes. It's much like the actual possibility poker chips in real life. Sure you could easily just keep track on your sheet but it's more tactile and fun to spend actual "chips". At least that's the theory.

Sir Alain Fisk
Bugbear

Post by Sir Alain Fisk »

Well, hold on... GiGs says he's going to take a little break and then come back to build the other three tabs. One of those tabs is Threat and that's supposed to be for building monsters/opposition. I've been building them out as complete Characters and have been keeping an impressive number of bad guys, classifying them in the Journal based on Cosm, nesting, nesting, until they are where I want them, and then I can drag them onto the field, duplicate their Sheets, then rename each sheet for the bad guy I need them to be, followed by their token, which is already on the field. It doesn't get much easier than that, though I'm hoping when GiGs completes the Threat tab, it will be even easier.

I wish your folks the best of luck, man. I hope it all works out for you. Please let us know what the outcome is?

Return to “TORG”