Original Synn?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Greenbrier
Hobgoblin

Original Synn?

Post by Greenbrier »

I hated that canon made Fenswick into a Principality, and much preferred Micky's version where Dolores/Synn joins the Council as heir to Blackhill see http://thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.ph ... 68#p187768. I recently read the Adri Varma gazeteer and it made me think about another possibility for our favorite dragon Princess - why not substitute Dolores for Lady D'himis? It's easy to imagine her seducing and killing Baron Rotrich just like D'himis did to take over Gulluvia. Then as in canon she courts Jaggar and butters up the Council, maybe in this scenario she helps out with the war against Alphatia, and soon we have Princess Dolores Rotrich of Adri Varma, Baroness of Gulluvia. Dolores gets her Principality and the nation becomes her playground, and Glantri expands into the strategic territory of the plateau.
:?: Vote for your favorite Prince of Glantri! http://thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23516

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Re: Original Synn?

Post by Sturm »

I totally see a possible connection between Dolores and Lady D'himis but as both are very interesting characters, I would not substitute one for the others. But an expansion of Glantri to the Adri Varma IMO is quite likely.
I also see a possible connection between Synn and the Night Dragons with Idris and the dragons of Denagoth, which together would be a formidable menace for the Known World.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Post by Zendrolion »

Greenbrier wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:06 pm
I hated that canon made Fenswick into a Principality, and much preferred Micky's version where Dolores/Synn joins the Council as heir to Blackhill see http://thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.ph ... 68#p187768.
So did I. Having her named princess after one only year of a tiny mountainous region suddently raised to principality status did not make much sense for me as well. Inheriting Blackhill (which in my campaign was badly damaged by humanoid invasion and by a - much much smaller - meteor strike) was a better candidate as a plot twist to have Dolores jump immediately in the Glantrian political arena alongside other princes.
I recently read the Adri Varma gazeteer and it made me think about another possibility for our favorite dragon Princess - why not substitute Dolores for Lady D'himis?
Interesting possibility. Consider she could be playing both roles simultaneously. I mean, you could have Synn as Dolores in Glantri and Lady D'himis as one of her fanatic, enslaved pawns (as per greater night dragons' ability) - or the opposite, that is Synn is Lady D'himis and there is a real Dolores (illegitimate daughter of the deceased Margaret of Hillsbury and Prince Volospin) who has been enslaved by Synn.

In this "season" of my campaign, Synn is already one of the behind-the-scenes major villain - I have her as a "monster ruler" as per WotI rules (after all, she is the "Queen of Night Dragons"), which explains her enormous power. She is gradually building her power over Glantri and, from there, over the rest of the Known World. She has been sent to Glantri by Thanatos to control the modified Entropy-draining Nucleus of the Sphere, and has managed to take over the Brotherhood of the Radiance, posing as a new Rad (who, IMC, has been drawn inside the Nucleus at the end of WotI, and is not going to come back); she is gradually eliminating from the political scene of Glantri all the princes opposed to her, persuading the Council to enact tolerance laws toward any type of creatures (also undead and lycanthropes), and pushing the Shepherds of Rad to fanatically oppose the tolerance toward foreign priests and religios (which are in the process of being banned again from the principalities). She already controls Wulf von Klagendorf and can indirectly use the Heldannic Order to support her goals, and is helping a rebel faction of the shadow elves (a "New Way of Rafiel" led by Tandaleyo and Kanafasti in Aengmor, and supported by Telemon against the shamans) secretly stirred up by Atzanteotl... Lot of plots which will likely make her the undisputed power-behind-the-scenes of a darker Known World - something the sons of my players' old PCs will have to deal with!
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Yes I have similar plots for Dolores IMC :)
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Greenbrier
Hobgoblin

Post by Greenbrier »

Zendrolion wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:08 pm
Inheriting Blackhill (which in my campaign was badly damaged by humanoid invasion and by a - much much smaller - meteor strike) was a better candidate as a plot twist to have Dolores jump immediately in the Glantrian political arena alongside other princes.
I've always kind of liked the meteor strike but not to the point of wiping dominions off the map. Do you still have a lesser Great Crater for Kol, put him in the western Broken Lands like Micky, or just skip the kobold prince?
Sturm wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:20 pm
I also see a possible connection between Synn and the Night Dragons with Idris and the dragons of Denagoth, which together would be a formidable menace for the Known World.
Zendrolion wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:08 pm
you could have Synn as Dolores in Glantri and Lady D'himis as one of her fanatic, enslaved pawns (as per greater night dragons' ability) ...She already controls Wulf von Klagendorf and can indirectly use the Heldannic Order to support her goals, and is helping a rebel faction of the shadow elves (a "New Way of Rafiel" led by Tandaleyo and Kanafasti in Aengmor, and supported by Telemon against the shamans) secretly stirred up by Atzanteotl... Lot of plots which will likely make her the undisputed power-behind-the-scenes of a darker Known World - something the sons of my players' old PCs will have to deal with!
These are some great ideas to create an axis of Synn surrounding Glantri.
:?: Vote for your favorite Prince of Glantri! http://thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23516

Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Post by Zendrolion »

Greenbrier wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:50 am
I've always kind of liked the meteor strike but not to the point of wiping dominions off the map. Do you still have a lesser Great Crater for Kol, put him in the western Broken Lands like Micky, or just skip the kobold prince?
The meteor IMC stroke roughly the same spot as in WotI, but was much smaller, hence the (Not-so-)Great Crater's decreased width - a crater with a diamater of 8 miles more or less (= 1 hex on the 8mph map of Glantri). The County of Wylon was wiped away, Blackhill devastated (only Eriadna was left standing), Silverston destroyed, and Caurenze's main towns of Oreggiano and Lizzieni (but not Sirecchia) reduced to ruins. The towers at Nathrat and Redstone suffered heavy damage as well.

Then came the hordes of Thar, occupying all southern Glantri (Arnus and Red River valleys); among Thar's liutenents in this campaign there was also the kobold Kol XIV, even if his hordes did not take directly part to the siege of Glantri City. In 1009 AC, Thar was badly beaten and retreated south of the Red River, still holding much of the former lands of Caurenze and Blackhill, besides the rest of the Broken Lands. Thanks to Dolores (seeking to rapidly place herself under the attention of major princes), Prince Jaggar scored another victory in 1010 AC, securing Caurenze and northern Blackhill, while Thar and Kol withdrew to Soth-Kabree and the Broken Lands, and the area between Redstone, the Great Crater, and southern Blackhill was still in control of minor hordes. In 1011 AC, when Dolores inherited Blackhill, she stroke a deal with these minor hordes, which now serve her as mercenary forces. Kol and Thar were left squabbling for the leadership of the Broken Lands until Synn intervened (under the guise of the red-clad sorceress seen in Shadow Over Mystara arcade game) and forced Thar to accept the leadership of the kobold. Kol is trying to unite the Broken Lands under himself, and Dolores has convinced the Council of Princes that his petition to become a prince of Glantri could be taken into account if he manages to stop humanoid raids against Glantri and help defend the principalities. The CoP has given him (1014 AC) the governorship of Fort Huledain (built in 1003 AC), weapons and money to conquer the other tribes; if he'll succeed, Dolores will have gained another ally in the CoP (IMC she has already removed Malachie, sent Jaggar away to lead a war to aid Darokin against the shadow elves, and controls the mad prince of Caurenze - still in place IMC).

So I have Kol active in the (eastern) Broken Lands-Huledain area rather than in the wasteland around the Great Crater.
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5

Greenbrier
Hobgoblin

Post by Greenbrier »

Zendrolion wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:32 pm
The meteor IMC stroke roughly the same spot as in WotI, but was much smaller, hence the (Not-so-)Great Crater's decreased width - a crater with a diamater of 8 miles more or less (= 1 hex on the 8mph map of Glantri). The County of Wylon was wiped away, Blackhill devastated (only Eriadna was left standing), Silverston destroyed, and Caurenze's main towns of Oreggiano and Lizzieni (but not Sirecchia) reduced to ruins. The towers at Nathrat and Redstone suffered heavy damage as well.
I much prefer your version of the meteor, enough carnage to be interesting but not totally destroy 2 principalities.
Zendrolion wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:32 pm
Dolores will have gained another ally in the CoP (IMC she has already removed Malachie, sent Jaggar away to lead a war to aid Darokin against the shadow elves, and controls the mad prince of Caurenze - still in place IMC).
Sounds like Dolores is rolling right along with her plans and ahead of canon if she's gotten rid of Malachie, have you dealt with Synn vs. Morphail yet? I think that one could be epic.

Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Post by Zendrolion »

Greenbrier wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:33 am
Sounds like Dolores is rolling right along with her plans and ahead of canon if she's gotten rid of Malachie, have you dealt with Synn vs. Morphail yet? I think that one could be epic.
Yeah, I was always disappointed by canon's plans for Dolores: sent to Glantri to... be constantly foiled by other princes... :roll: Naahhh, not my kind of supervillain. IMC one of my PCs (a necromancer) was seduced by Dolores and became (one of her) lovers, helping her with a complicate plot to get rid of Malachie (with the willing help of Geneviève de Sephora and the De Ville brothers), exposing him as a lycanthrope and having him executed. Thanks to this, my PC ultimately became the new prince of Morlay-Malinbois - and is currently having a difficult relationship with Malachie's late fellow werewolves.

Regarding Morphail, Dolores is trying to forge an alliance with him: they have a common enemy (Angus McGregor, now prince of Klantyre - my PC is a bitter enemy of him, hence Dolores has Angus on her blacklist), they have common interests (allowing any type of dark creatures to live and roam freely in Glantri), and similar dark purposes (both are servants of Entropy, both are undead). In due time, Morphail - once the tie between Dolores and Thanatos becomes evident - might even seek her alliance to free himself from Alphaks, offering his support for a dark Glantri ruled by Dolores while keeping the (independent?) rule of Boldavia. What will come out of this is still to be seen, since my PC also wants to become the Grand Master of the Necromancers, and Morphail would have something to say about this - maybe Dolores will get rid of him to keep his alliance with Morphail then, or the contrary...

Return to “Mystara”