Sahu: Isle of the Necromancer Kings

Arabian Adventures in Zakhara, the Land of Fate.
The Book-House: Find Al-Qadim products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Sahu: Isle of the Necromancer Kings

Post by Big Mac »

So SinLeqiUnninni mentioned Sahu in the List of Generic D&D and Module Settings:
SinLeqiUnninni wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:48 am
Sahu – Complete Necromancer’s Handbook
I remembered that this post by Oqlanth suggested the Complete Necromancer's Handbook is set in Al-Qadim:
Oqlanth wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:42 pm
There is also Complete Necromancer's Handbook which is officaly a 'generic' AD&D product but in reality it is much like 'Complete Ghul's Handbook' with Al Qadim regional sources within.
I actually mentioned Sahu, in my reply to Oqlanth:
Big Mac wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:24 pm
Oqlanth wrote:There is also Complete Necromancer's Handbook which is officaly a 'generic' AD&D product but in reality it is much like 'Complete Ghul's Handbook' with Al Qadim regional sources within.
I've seen Spelljammer references sneaked into both generic products and products for other campaign setttings (including Al-Qadim) before. I guess the Sahu stuff was in there because it could be handwaved as generic. I've not familiar enough with DMGR7 The Complete Book of Necromancers to be able to tell what percentage of the book is connected to Al-Qadim.
So Oqlanth didn't mention Sahu, but I seemed to know they meant Sahu (back in 2012, when I wrote that reply).

Lesh mentioned Sahu in this post.

Sahu also came up in the Relations between Zakhara and Faerun topic (which was about the Arabian-like people living in Faerûn and how they might be related to people living in Zakhara).

I've looked up the Sahu article on Forgotten Realms Wiki. According to that, there is canon for Sahu in DMGR7 The Complete Book of Necromancers and the Ruined Kingdoms boxed set.

How much Sahu content is there in Ruined Kingdoms? Is it enough to run a game on Sahu, or do you need the stuff from DMGR4?

How about the other way around. Does DMGR4 give you enough information to run a game, or do you need Ruined Kingdoms to be able to run a game?

Has anyone used Sahu in their games? What is the vibe like? Is the culture on Sahu anything like the culture of using necromancy in Jakandor?

Are there any other D&D products (especially adventures) that fit the theme of the Isle of the Necromancer Kings?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

SinLeqiUnninni
Orc

Re: Sahu: Isle of the Necromancer Kings

Post by SinLeqiUnninni »

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:08 pm
How about the other way around. Does DMGR4 give you enough information to run a game, or do you need Ruined Kingdoms to be able to run a game?

Is the culture on Sahu anything like the culture of using necromancy in Jakandor?

Are there any other D&D products (especially adventures) that fit the theme of the Isle of the Necromancer Kings?
There's enough information in DMGR4 to run a game on the island. There's two villages Misbahd and Jinutt and several landmarks/potential dungeon locations that are given half page write ups. In this regard it is about as detailed as Nentir Vale was in the 4e DMG. There are a few high level npcs, including an imprisoned lich, who are woven pretty tightly into the setting.

The book mentions the setting's canonical placement in Al-Qadim once, on page 108, but also suggests putting it near Amm or near the Shining South. The same paragraph mentions Ruined Kingdoms in way that suggests that set just adds backstory context for the ruins on the island. I'm not at all familiar with that material though, so I can't comment further.

With regards to Jakanador, not really, I don't think. The necromancers in that setting are a fallen civilization, but they're still around. The necromancer kings on Sahu are all dead, and the last of them haunts his crumbling capital as a ghost each night, along with the citizens. A lot of the villagers on Sahu are secret worshiper of a necromancer god, and discretely hand over the bodies of the dead to ghouls that dwell in the interior of the island. This process is disguised as a ceremony where they give the bodies back to nature in a Lion King "Circle of Life" sort of way. The book calls them superstitious several times, and they consider the interior plateau of the island cursed and haunted. They're right about that too, though they probably don't know the details.

thorr-kan
Troll

Post by thorr-kan »

That about sums it up.

Sahu is an island in Al-Qadim's Crowded Sea. It's mentioned only in passing in the main AQ materials. CompNecro's setting is more of an almost self-contained microsetting inside of the Al-Qadim setting.

Isuru
Ogre

Post by Isuru »

I believe the writer for Complete Necromancer's Guide and Ruined Kingdoms are one and the same, Steve Kurtz. https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki ... teve_Kurtz

He also wrote other AQ books, so he is well familiar with the setting.

redking
Hobgoblin

Post by redking »

Sahu is a very cool setting. DMGR7 - The Complete Book of Necromancers was my favorite out of them all. Villain and Thieves next, respectively.

Isuru
Ogre

Post by Isuru »

redking wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:34 pm
Sahu is a very cool setting. DMGR7 - The Complete Book of Necromancers was my favorite out of them all. Villain and Thieves next, respectively.
Indeed! I spent years trying to get my hands on a copy of CBoN and finally did a while ago. Not disappointed at all. It's tonally very different from lots of D&D stuff. Actually a decent fit for AQ and Ruined Kingdoms, because it really nails an old school Sword & Sorcery feel by way of 1001 Arabian Nights (granted the latter already is a major influence on the former).

thorr-kan
Troll

Post by thorr-kan »

Isuru wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:24 pm
I believe the writer for Complete Necromancer's Guide and Ruined Kingdoms are one and the same, Steve Kurtz. https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki ... teve_Kurtz

He also wrote other AQ books, so he is well familiar with the setting.
He is very much one and the same; accept no substitutes! Mr. Kurtz's work in Al-Qadim is just awesome. Ask my players how much they "liked" Tisan the Geomancer. (Hint: terminated with *extreme* prejudice while resulting in the first campaign death. That didn't last long, though.)

Cities of Bone shares some Sahu ties as well, specifically the adventure City of Bone: most specifically Kazerabet. Ask my players how much they "liked" Kazerabet and Talib. (When going after the artifact the Talisman of Shajar, they did their research. They went in loaded for diplomacy and courtesy, gaining access to and use of the Talisman of Shajar. It was awesome!)

Return to “Al-Qadim”