[Threshold] Issue 25 is available!

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Sturm
Blue Dragon

[Threshold] Issue 25 is available!

Post by Sturm »

Issue 25 - Strongholds is ready for download at this link:
http://pandius.com/Threshold_25.pdf
The twenty-fifth issue of Mystara’s premier magazine leads you to explore cities, palaces, castles and secret lairs, refugees or obstacles for brave adventurers!

Index of the issue:

Imperial Palaces & Castles of Thyatis & Alphatia, using real world example to develop fantasy palaces and castles for the two major powers of the Known World, by Sturm (me), with also an original illustration by Dario Odillo
The City-State of Saffir, a location in Southern Norwold expanded from AC10: “Bestiary of Dragons and Giants” by Giampaolo Agosta (Agathokles)
Specularum’s Stronghold District part 1, part of the detailed Travellers’ Guide to Specularum by Allan Palmer with Giampaolo Agosta (agathokles)
Port Blight, a trading hub and hideout in the Blight Swamp of Western Karameikos, by Irving Galvez
Encounters in the Dymrak Region, completing the detailed description of Eastern Karameikos continuing from issue #23 and #24, by Robin with Allan P
The Tale of the Dark Knight, an evil NPC in the Dymrak region, by Robin
Warriors of the Eternal Sun - part 3, final installment of the tabletop conversion of the classic videogame, continuing from issue #23 and #24, with original illustration by Justin Pfeil aka Warriorneedsfood of Keep on the Borderlands fame!
Mystara Sub-Settings Prt 3 by Sturm (me) final part of the bird's view of the many settings of Mystara, also continuing from previous issues.

As always I am impressed by the quality and quantity of material written by Threshold's authors and I believe you will be too! I will write later more comments on each article.

And do not forget to propose your article for issue 26, which will be dedicated to Heroes, Villains and Organizations. There is still enough space, so send your proposals!

While we do not lack contributors, we are a bit short on the editorial side, so anyone willing to help with this please write here or to the Threshold mail.
Enjoy Threshold Magazine!
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Threshold] Issue 25 is available!

Post by Havard »

Awesome! Congratulations to the team and contributors!

I love the Sub-setting seriers by Sturm and especially curious about the City-state of Saffir!

Will enjoy reading this issue! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

stanles
Hill Giant

Post by stanles »

Another great looking issue, I look forward to reading it more fully.

I also like the bookmarks added to the PDF file - that's a very nice addition.
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

Irondrake
Ogre

Post by Irondrake »

Perfect timing for the holiday weekend. Thank you to all the authors, editors, and everyone else who makes this magazine a reality. You really don't know how much your amazing efforts are appreciated by the Mystara D&D community.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

Amazing! Thank you very much!
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Great to see you are already on 25 issues.

Well done!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Doc Necrotic
Gnoll

Post by Doc Necrotic »

I have been looking forward to this. I can't wait to jump back on board for the future!
Follow my delves into madness via the Daemons & Deathrays blog!

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Nice work! Thanks for the heads up.

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

stanles wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:10 pm
I also like the bookmarks added to the PDF file - that's a very nice addition.
Thanks for picking up on that Shawn.
One of issue #24's contributors, John Alton, had asked about that when we published that issue.
I decided it was about time that I overhauled the layout for the magazine and incorporated bookmarks (which are driven by heading styles). I think this had been neglected previously due to variations in the use of heading levels by some authors, but we've managed to tighten this up.

I've also taken on board a suggestion from John about the use of hyphenation to help improve the look of the paragraphs.

Issue #25 also sees a different typeface being used for the main body text (largely cosmetic), as well as some minor tweaks to the general format.

regards,
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress

CommanderCrud
Gnoll

Post by CommanderCrud »

These available POD anywhere?

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

CommanderCrud wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:12 pm
These available POD anywhere?
That's not possible because Threshould obviously contain TSR/Wizards copyrighted material and any print on demand provided from the creators would undermine the essence of the fanzine as a non-profit creation.
Also Threshold cannot be hosted on DMsGuild as Mystara is not one of the settings opened for fan creations. I think it will never be and even if it would be, probably the issues could not be hosted on that site as they are.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

stanles
Hill Giant

Post by stanles »

AllanP wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:08 pm
I've also taken on board a suggestion from John about the use of hyphenation to help improve the look of the paragraphs.

Issue #25 also sees a different typeface being used for the main body text (largely cosmetic), as well as some minor tweaks to the general format.
I hadn't noticed the hyphenation or other changes, but they also look good. I bet that dealing with all of that each issue is much more of a time sink than people realise though.
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

stanles wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:23 pm
AllanP wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:08 pm

I hadn't noticed the hyphenation or other changes, but they also look good. I bet that dealing with all of that each issue is much more of a time sink than people realise though.
@stanless -
Thanks for the feedback.
Now that the new hyphenation settings and text styles are in place, I can reuse them in the template for future issues.
What takes time is seeing how best to lay the articles across the pages so that they flow well, placing images in the best positions at the appropriate sizes, and tweaking text ti fit. And then there are footnotes - but that's a whole other story.

But people seem to like the look and content of the magazine (well we don't seem to get much critical comment), so that's the important part.

regards,
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress

Tom Bulls Eye
Wanderer of Ahl

Post by Tom Bulls Eye »

Congrats Sturm and Team - Yet another fantastic issue.

Return to “Mystara”