Active Deities in Eberron

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
T'masD'Mazz
Orc

Active Deities in Eberron

Post by T'masD'Mazz »

Keith has explained why he designed the deities of Eberron the way he did, because he wanted to explore thematics of schism and heresy and because he thinks that powerfull NPC might still the thunder from the PCs. Personally I think that heresy and schism is still explorably in a word with active deities simply imposing limitations on the ability of the deities of solving those problems; For example, the deities might be able to judge theyr followers only after theyr death and they are not omniscents, so they òearn of things belatedly; or maybe the imprisoned Overlords interferes in the communications beetween the deities and theyr followers. The Deities can directly act only in peculiar circumstances, or when ctaclysmatic events struck; maybe Eberron equivalent of the Time of Troubles could have been caused by the Mourning?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Active Deities in Eberron

Post by Big Mac »

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. I'm guessing that I've missed an awesome Dragonmarks article that explains some of this. If I have, please drop me a link, so I can catch up with this.

My impression of the Eberron deities was that everyone in the Eberron goes on faith and has no actual confirmation that their deities actually exist.

So, if the deities do not communicate with the PCs and NPCs in Eberron, i'm not sure where the ability to judge comes in.

Having said that, I don't think I've read enough about how Eberron's cosmological planes work. Has Keith written about an Eberron Outer Plane where the dead NPCs and PCs of Eberron become Petitioners (in the Planescape sense) and can finally meet the deities?

Is there some sort of rule, similar to the way that the True Afterlife of Ghostwalk works, that means that anyone who gets resurrected has no recollection of the afterlife (and meeting specific Eberron deities...or finding out that they don't really exist)?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric »

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:34 pm
Having said that, I don't think I've read enough about how Eberron's cosmological planes work. Has Keith written about an Eberron Outer Plane where the dead NPCs and PCs of Eberron become Petitioners (in the Planescape sense) and can finally meet the deities?

Is there some sort of rule, similar to the way that the True Afterlife of Ghostwalk works, that means that anyone who gets resurrected has no recollection of the afterlife (and meeting specific Eberron deities...or finding out that they don't really exist)?
Keith's thoughts on this are set out expressly here: http://keith-baker.com/dolurrh/. It doesn't really support what T'masD'Mazz wants to do, but I'm sure he would say you can run your Eberron however you want.

T'masD'Mazz
Orc

Post by T'masD'Mazz »

Actially there is another article expressly on the matter.

Return to “Eberron”