Axiom Enchanced Powers

"The storm has a name..." Discuss both TORG and TORG Eternity here.
GeniusCodeMonkey
Gnoll

Axiom Enchanced Powers

Post by GeniusCodeMonkey »

As per RAW, at Social Axiom 24 (page 231 of Core), Technology provides the ability to enhance PSI powers. I think this should read that at Tech 24, technology provides the ability to enhance PSI powers as it's possible to have a high Social Axiom that supports PSI, but a low Tech Axoim were the technical knowledge isn't sufficient to help increase the power of the mind.

So my question is, at what Axioms (social, magic, spirit or tech) can other powers get enhanced?

So can we create a device to help communicate better with the Gods? Can we create a spell to show the Gods what we need? Can we create a device to interpet magical writing to cast spells better? Can we use the power of our mind to Grok a divination spell better?

I assume that Social 5 is needed to start off Magic (so we can at least write down magical theorms).
I assume that Social 4 is needed to start off Mircales (so we can at least have an oral tradition for the Gods to florish).
I assume that Social 3 is needed to increase Tech (so we can at least communicate ideas).
We know that at Tech 26 we have the ability to manipulate Magic as we have Hexxer cyberware.
I would argue that at Magic 11 (direct communication between minds); magical spells could be created to enhance PSI.
I would argue that at Magic 12 where charges are created for magical item; spells could also be created to enhance Tech, even if only as a power source.
I would argue that at Spirit 14, where "imbue blessings or powers begin working for any wielder", could work to enhance technology.
I would argue that at Tech 27, where artifical being can be reality rated is were the Gods would be more involved in what these beings are saying.

Code: Select all

|          | Magic | Spirit | Social | Tech |
| -------- | ----- | ------ | ------ | ---- |
| Magic    |   X   |        |    5   |  26  |
| Mircales |       |    X   |    4   |  27  |
| Psi      |   11  |        |    X   |  24  |
| Tech     |   12  |   14   |    3   |   X  |
Of course, what form these enchancements take is another question.
But for example: A Neverending Bullet Gun (magic enhancing tech) should start around Magic Axiom 12 unless overriden by a World Law.
or Technological Spell Boosters (tech enhancing magic) shouldn't appear until Tech 26, unless overriden by a World Law.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

savioronedge
Gnoll

Re: Axiom Enchanced Powers

Post by savioronedge »

Barring World Laws:

At lower than Soc4, you can't build a community, unless the Spi is high enough for direct deific intervention.

Magic can be passed down through oral tradition, so Soc4 (not 5) is also required to make Magic work, unless the Mag is high enough take it instinctive.

Technology can be reverse engineered, so I agree with your Soc3, unless the Tec is high enough to make it inherent.

Psionics used to require 3 Axioms to function.

Real World, people believe that mistic or technically superior crystals can affect psychic phenomena. In game this would reflect as fairly low Mag or Tec. And some religions have rituals for this purpose as well, call it Spi8. The key, IMNSHO, is having enough of the Power being enhanced to support the use of the other Axioms in its enhancement.

The only reason the Hexxor is Tec26 is it is cybernetic. CE has noise cancelling headphones (Tech, +2 concentrate?) Mantras (social +2 Faith, or Magic) and crystals (Spirit, Magic, or Tech,+2 psionic)

pkitty
Bugbear

Post by pkitty »

Personally, I feel that psionics should be the one arcane type which is easily enhanced by technology. The concept of "psychotronic" and "paraphysical" gear is a huge part of the mythos behind psi, so it's very fitting. Magic already has enchanted items and IMO doesn't need high-tech boosts. And miracles just don't make any sense with tech (also IMO).

And yes, I'm aware that the Hexxer exists, but that seems less like a Tech 26 thing and more like a Cyberpapacy thing -- the holy sanctioned cyberware is protecting you against the evils of magic and demons.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Atama
Gnoll

Post by Atama »

pkitty wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:56 pm
Personally, I feel that psionics should be the one arcane type which is easily enhanced by technology.
Technically, psionics are enhanced by technology, by definition.

The term “psionic” is a mix of “psychic” and “electronic” (a portmanteau). They are psychic powers granted through technological means. It was coined in the 60s within the science fiction magazine Astounding Science Fiction.

Of course, over the years the original meaning has been lost in sci-fi literature, and today the word “psionic” is commonly used as a synonym for “psychic”.

[/end off-topic rambling]
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek 8-))

nikgervae
Gnoll

Post by nikgervae »

Some days, you learn that you had it all wrong about something. Thank you for this lead, Atama; I just hit Wikipedia and learned much I did not know about the history of this idea.

Return to “TORG”