[Modiphius] Odyssey of the Dragonlords - What's this D&D5E setting?

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Modiphius] Odyssey of the Dragonlords - What's this D&D5E setting?

Post by Havard »

• In a land where even the gods are bound by oaths and prophecies. Odyssey of the Dragonlords is an epic fantasy campaign for the fifth edition of the world’s greatest roleplaying game.
  • Drawing inspiration from the ancient Greek epics, including The Odyssey, The Iliad, and The Argonautica. At the dawn of time, a war between the gods and Titans left the world of Thylea forever changed.
  • Thousands of years later, the first mortals arrived, carried by ship and dragon.The Dragonlords were the champions who overthrew the Titans 500 years ago and forged the Oath of Peace. But the power of the Oath has waned, and now the Titans seek vengeance.
  • You are one of the heroes called by prophecy to end the conflict once and for all. Poets will sing of your deeds for centuries to come. If you survive.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/

Anyone here check out this setting? It reminds me a lot about what I've been reading about the upcoming Theoros from WotC.

Anyone know if this is worth picking up?

I am always interested in settings inspired by Ancient Greece.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [Modiphius] Odyssey of the Dragonlords - What's this D&D5E setting?

Post by shesheyan »

I saw the KS campaign but did not participate. I'm glad I did not judging from this reviewer :

Quote: ''It’s that last gripe that shows my issue with this setting. It isn’t “Jason and the Argonauts,” it’s “Clash of the Titans” - the reboot. If you came here looking to take part a faithful retelling of Greek mythology for your D&D game, look elsewhere. If you want to roleplay in an authentic reimagining of your favourite mediterranean myth, go make your own.''

Source:
https://www.highlevelgames.ca/blog/odys ... rds-review

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

shesheyan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:03 pm
I saw the KS campaign but did not participate. I'm glad I did not judging from this reviewer :

Quote: ''It’s that last gripe that shows my issue with this setting. It isn’t “Jason and the Argonauts,” it’s “Clash of the Titans” - the reboot. If you came here looking to take part a faithful retelling of Greek mythology for your D&D game, look elsewhere. If you want to roleplay in an authentic reimagining of your favourite mediterranean myth, go make your own.''

Source:
Thanks!

Actually, that review didn't give me such a bad impression of the book(s), but you need to know what you are getting into. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Havard wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:16 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:03 pm

Source:
Thanks!

Actually, that review didn't give me such a bad impression of the book(s), but you need to know what you are getting into. :)

-Havard
Exactly, I wanted to recreate classic Bronze Age stories. Not for me.

I'm aware there are other RPGs like Runequest. A friend is supposed to run a mythic greek adventure later this year using Mythras by Design Mechanism. Maybe I will see the light!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

shesheyan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:23 pm
Exactly, I wanted to recreate classic Bronze Age stories. Not for me.

I'm aware there are other RPGs like Runequest. A friend is supposed to run a mythic greek adventure later this year using Mythras by Design Mechanism. Maybe I will see the light!
I feel like RuneQuest does historical settings, and perhaps especially Ancient World type settings pretty well. My main frustration with RuneQuest as a player was that I always felt that my characters were pretty incompetent, even after many sessions of play.

I have never played Mythras, but my impression is that it fixed many of the gripes I had with RuneQuest (2nd and 3rd ed, Chaosium/AH), but perhaps at the cost of adding too much complexity?

I hope you have a good time with this game and would be interested in hearing your experiences with Mythras!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides »

I backed Age of Antiquity Kickstarter that looks to hold closely to history while still being fantasy. Covers several cultures. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/a ... -antiquity
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wyrms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/3x30bz9qi4i0d ... 0.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0zjp7d2mtfwe ... 0.pdf?dl=0

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Coronoides wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:25 pm
I backed Age of Antiquity Kickstarter that looks to hold closely to history while still being fantasy. Covers several cultures. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/a ... -antiquity
Let us know how it is when you get a pdf. It is the one that seems the most promising in terms of recreating that era with D&D rules.

Y Mab Darogan
Goblin

Post by Y Mab Darogan »

Hi

Been a long while since I posted but my two cents.

Odyssey looks a lot like D&D inspired by the tones of antiquity. It’s not trying to be Mythic Greece (Mythras has that cornered IMO). Theros...I think is probably going to be late to this party but if it’s like the other MtG settings, probably a bit meh.

Age of Antiquity however looks much more in line with getting that what if D&D was historicalLy real.

NPCDave
Frost Giant

Post by NPCDave »

Here is an excellent Let's Read of the Odyssey of the Dragonlords which provides a lot of detail.

It wasn't quite what I was looking for, but interesting nonetheless.

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads ... ds.861852/

Y Mab Darogan
Goblin

Post by Y Mab Darogan »

I’d forgotten that thread. It’s a good overview of the book/setting

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick »

So far, I've just read the player's guide, not the full adventure/campaign book. It doesn't make any pretense to faithfully recreate the myths; it's definitely more like "What would Greek myth plus D&D (emphasis on the dragons) look like?"

I'm currently trying to wrap up a long-running Greek myth campaign using another RPG (BESM), so I'm not really sure if I would want to go that fully immersive in the actual myths and history in any future games. (It's a LOT of work, especially since I had to design almost all the characters and creatures from scratch for the system I chose.) I'm enough of a mythology fan that I almost certainly will run another myth-based game someday, but I'll probably go with a much looser adaptation of those tropes. I won't know if OotD is the kind of thing I'd ever want to run until I finish the book, but it does have quite a bit of material (races, subclasses, monsters) that will save me a lot of work if I ever want to run some Greek myth-inspired stuff with 5E. But I also have a ton of other potential 5E games that will be competing with it for my time and attention (like Freeport and Barrier Peaks, and more Yawning Portal).
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”