[SWADE] Savage Worlds Mystara

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

pawsplay
Stone Giant

[SWADE] Savage Worlds Mystara

Post by pawsplay »

Has anyone played with this? I'm musing and I'm wondering what actual conversion work would need to be done. Shopping list? Some pre-made characters?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [SWADE] Savage Worlds Mystara

Post by Havard »

pawsplay wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:02 am
Has anyone played with this? I'm musing and I'm wondering what actual conversion work would need to be done. Shopping list? Some pre-made characters?
I ran a few adventures with the Savage Worlds system in Mystara many years ago. It was for one of the earlier editions of SWo though. Most of my adventures were set in historical periods of Mystara such as Traldar-Age Karameikos and Blackmoor.

I believe I used some homebrew rules that were found on Pinnacles site. One document was called Savage Fantasy. I think there was something called Savage AD&D or something too.

I can't find the rules files at the moment, but will share if I can dig up something. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Mike
Troll

Post by Mike »

I ran a SW Mystara campaign about 10 years ago. If I recall, I didn't do much customization beyond races. Mostly it's just converting key monsters and then just using Mystara as a setting. I had fan conversions of Monsters (Savage Beasts?), spells, traps, and also the AD&D SW conversion, so lots of material to draw upon. I didn't really use much of it though, mostly just monsters and maybe some magic items. You could go a bit further, change equipment costs to match, and redesign powers to mimic D&D spells, but doing this I think loses some of what makes SW appealing. Using a different game system gives you the opportunity to emphasize a different flavor and focus. For example D&D makes mystery or horror difficult, while SW makes these a bit easier in my opinion. One of the adventures I ran was a conversion of Night of the Vampire and it went very well.

pawsplay
Stone Giant

Post by pawsplay »

Yeah, I would definitely make it SW-shaped. I was just wondering how many holes I would have to patch over. Vaults of Pandius has a languages list, fantasy weapons and armor are available in the rules, so I think that just leaves races, monsters, premades, and how to handle some magic items.

How would you handle a +1 longsword? Is that gear? Or if you want to keep it, is a magic item an Edge?

Mike
Troll

Post by Mike »

Well, that's a good question. I think I was using the SW Fantasy Toolkit at the time. Now we have the Fantasy Gear Toolkit devoted just to gear and magic items. It provides for random magic tables, equivalents for all the "classic" items, rules for item creation, all the stuff you need. Standard weapon powers include +1 Fighting, +1 Damage, savage edges like First Strike... things like that allow translating a +1 sword directly.

You could also just give the Smite power to a sword.

But I recommend the Fantasy Toolkits. Those combined with the core rules are all you need.

pawsplay
Stone Giant

Post by pawsplay »

The Fantasy Toolkit seems to be OOP and pending some serious, uh, retooling.

The DE Fantasy Companion hasn't been updated either, although reportedly it's on the list.

pawsplay
Stone Giant

Post by pawsplay »

So this happened:
Mystara Savage Worlds Guide
I'm just kind of tooling around at this point, getting a feel for the system.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

Best of luck with it!
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

pawsplay wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:31 am
So this happened:
Cool. I've never used Savage Worlds for anything except Deadlands, but it's still interesting to see how you adapt Mystara.

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

pawsplay wrote:
So this happened:
Nice start!

There is a bit more info about half-orcs in the Darokin Gaz. There is also a bit about the two types of half elves in the Alfheim Gaz. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

You might want to look at the Hellfrost products for Savage Worlds. They were written for Deluxe Edition, but they could offer ideas on how to run a fantasy campaign in Savage Worlds. While the setting often focuses on parts of the world that are cold (the initial products) or desert (Land of Fire), most of the material doesn't rely on a particular climate.

pawsplay
Stone Giant

Post by pawsplay »

Havard wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:13 pm
pawsplay wrote:
So this happened:
Nice start!

There is a bit more info about half-orcs in the Darokin Gaz. There is also a bit about the two types of half elves in the Alfheim Gaz. :)

-Havard
I'll check it out. What I wrote is what I gisted from my conversion to 5e project, based on some discussions. I was trying to thread the needle between "there are no half-elves" in the original material and "half-elves, yay!" in AD&D, but of course with SW I can go any way I want.

pawsplay
Stone Giant

Post by pawsplay »

What do you all think of skill specialties? One thing that was characteristic of high-level play was the Weapon Mastery rules. Since each weapon in SW covers a broad range of types, I was thinking I could go as specific as one specialty per weapon. Or it could be by group, as suggested. One reason I thought of doing it was to distinguish fighters and such from characters with more limited weapon choices. A reason not to do it would be to leave it behind and embrace the Savage World-ness.

I was looking at gear. One thing I thought about was the discussion I had with Havard about the weirdly useful voulge. I did a little research and determined "voulge" means a polearm, usually a pike or glaive, but perhaps, in Swiss use, a halberd. So I didn't think it was worth statting up the super-voulge. But what other weapons and armor types are appropriate?

Playable "race" info for orcs, yes or no?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

pawsplay wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:09 am
What do you all think of skill specialties? One thing that was characteristic of high-level play was the Weapon Mastery rules. Since each weapon in SW covers a broad range of types, I was thinking I could go as specific as one specialty per weapon. Or it could be by group, as suggested. One reason I thought of doing it was to distinguish fighters and such from characters with more limited weapon choices. A reason not to do it would be to leave it behind and embrace the Savage World-ness.
I think it is ok to go for weapon groups rather than specific weapons.
I was looking at gear. One thing I thought about was the discussion I had with Havard about the weirdly useful voulge. I did a little research and determined "voulge" means a polearm, usually a pike or glaive, but perhaps, in Swiss use, a halberd. So I didn't think it was worth statting up the super-voulge. But what other weapons and armor types are appropriate?
BECMI doesn't have many special weapons anyway. I'd just keep polearms at the halberd / pole axe / pike level of breakdown, and add the rapier. For a Known World campaign, it is enough. If you want to branch out to other regions, then Rakasta War Claws, Bullroarer Knife, Chakram and Cimarron Six-Shooter are the only special weapons found in Mystara (assuming that Rakasta matara and mishiya map to long or bastard sword and short sword, or to pre-existing katana and wakizashi).
Playable "race" info for orcs, yes or no?
I'd say yes. Orcs are fully playable in Mystara following Orcs of Thar, and likely much more common than Half-Orcs.

GP

pawsplay
Stone Giant

Post by pawsplay »

Well, I experienced Orcs of Thar today, and I can definitely say I'm not incorporating much of that material. In broad strokes, I like the idea of monstrous, yet comprehensible orcs. I'm definitely staying far away of some of the material which is IRL racist.

Return to “Mystara”