Mystara Modules and Placement

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

yellowdingo
Fire Giant

Re: Mystara Modules and Placement

Post by yellowdingo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:14 am

I see CM8 The Endless Stair entry does not have a location. I recommend outside Glantri (Because of Prerolled PC choices available). Possibly Southern Darokin in the light forest north of the Mountains separating it from the Shires. It isn't Pine Tree country so it isn't more mountainous. It will be on a trail or back road aligned N-S. Possibly the one that goes through Hinmeet?

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:59 am

That's weird- I would have sworn I had an entry for CM8 in there; I must have forgotten to add it or something.

CM8 is, indeed, supposed to be set in Glantri according to the module. It doesn't strictly fit, considering the clerics and religious/hero cults that are a part of the module, and the history given requires some tweaking, but officially it is a Glantri module.

I'll have to dig up my notes and put that entry back in there. Hm.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

CRichardDavies
Bugbear

Post by CRichardDavies » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:56 pm

I suggested Alphatia, the last time it came up, to tie in with the rest of the CM series' Norwold campaign, but putting it in Darokin would allow for a tie-in with Legacy of Blood.

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver » Fri May 31, 2013 7:54 am

yellowdingo wrote:I see CM8 The Endless Stair entry does not have a location. I recommend outside Glantri (Because of Prerolled PC choices available). Possibly Southern Darokin in the light forest north of the Mountains separating it from the Shires. It isn't Pine Tree country so it isn't more mountainous. It will be on a trail or back road aligned N-S. Possibly the one that goes through Hinmeet?

I think you guys missed my post:
Setorius wrote:You left out CM8: The Endless Stair. Four days out of Glantri City. I actually thought it was in the forest North of Malinbois?
It's about as gothic as you can get with anthropomorphic beavers.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:22 pm

Setorius wrote:I think you guys missed my post:
Setorius wrote:You left out CM8: The Endless Stair. Four days out of Glantri City. I actually thought it was in the forest North of Malinbois?
Thanks for bringing this up again Setorius! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Found this by OldDawg on wizards.com:

CM2 Death's Ride takes pace southwest of the Wyrmsteeth (near Denagoth)
CM3 Sabre River could be placed any from Alinor, the Great Bay, or mountains inland of Oceansend or Landfall.
CM4 Earthshaker has been fan-placed where the Final Range runs into the Great Bay.
CM6 Where Chaos Reigns is believed to begin around Landfall or Oceansend, but it quickly drops you into another universe.
M1 Into the Maelstrom has some information about the Sea of Alphatia between Alphatia and Norwold plus some political background about the ambitions of Qeodhar
M2 Vengeance of Alphaks covers a wide-ranging war in Norwold
M4 Five Coins for a Kingdom is like CM6, and quickly transports you to another world.
M5 Talons of Night mostly occurs on the Isle of Dawn, but it also gives good political background - particularly Alpha/Norwold's desire to be independent of Alphatia and to control Helskir and Oceansend.
Also, of general interest from the same post:
Alinor - this was only mentioned in CM1. It is the ruined mountains of a former Alphatian kingdom. The kingdom was destroyed after the Alinor mountain Chain was raised (set ca. 300BC in Gaz F4). It is west of the Great Bay. This may be switched from a gazetteer to an actual adventure.
-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

rendclaw
Ogre

Re: B Series Modules

Post by rendclaw » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:17 pm

paleologos wrote:
snorri wrote:I wonder if this one couldn't be located better somewhere in Darokin. The main salvic / traldar sounding in the module is the mad Berserker emperor.

- Shrill river sounds like Streel river. It could be a local proncunciation.

- Guido is a common italian name (Guido reni is a famous Italian painter, as an example) [a lits of famous Guido's : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido]

Alternatively, it could be in Glantri, as Guido is a also a common flemish name.
For the longest time, I figured that Guido's Fort was best situated at the mouth of the Streel for the same reasons, with Malpheggi swamp serving as the swamp mentioned in the module. More recently, I started to favour the Greater Achelos in Karameikos, since this river was unnamed at the time Niles wrote the module, and also serves as the eastern border of a swamp. Guido's Fort must be near the coast, since a mile-wide river is unlikely far inland.

In an interview with Niles, he confessed that use of the name Guido was a nod to the SNL character Father Guido Sarducci. As a result, I like to envision Guido's Fort as a Franciscan-style Ispan missionary fort, founded by a cleric from the Church of Thyatis based out of Kerendas. This could even work somewhere along the Savage Coast, as a result, but I've always had a hard time finding other good locations.
I made it an independent fishing and trading town, put it halfway between Kelvin and Penhaligon and called it good. There were plenty of hills on the other side of the Hillfollow River, and it was a growing problem that the city of Highforge had not noticed yet, but Guido's Fort and the surrounding area certainly did. Thorkhammer did a nice little writeup on Guido's Fort which ties in nicely with what B5 has, and fleshes it out. It's worth looking into.
AKA DM Brian: Thaco's Hammer Podcast (co-host), and Hammers of the Duchy AP Podcast (Host, Executive Producer).
http://www.thacoshammer.info
http://archive.org/details/Thacoshammer_gmail_archive

"Gotcha" rules are a bummer." --Frank Mentzer.

"Sandbox can be fun. But don't go on the all-sand diet; it'll wear out your DM." --Frank Mentzer (again).

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:04 am

Wow, I'd completely forgotten about this topic. :oops:

EDIT: Great work!
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:11 am

When would people set the module The Jade Hare?
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:13 pm

Like most modules, it works fine in or around 1000 AC, IIRC.

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:19 pm

Should AD&D Mystara and D20 Era Mystara adventures be included here?

And Dungeon Magazine adventures? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Post by Gravesguardian » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:48 pm

Havard wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:19 pm

-Havard
As long as they are for Mystara, then the answer is: Of course they should be included. Edition shouldn't matter so long as the adventure is set in Mystara.

stebehil
Ogre

Post by stebehil » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:27 pm

The Dungeon Magazine ran an index in #150, which does not list Mystara/known world (or Red Steel, for that matter) as a setting, but rather the adventures for BD&D sorted by level. The last one seems to have been in #54 from 1995. I highly doubt that there were any adventures written for AD&D2 or later editions set on Mystara.

EDIT: Made it to plunderer - eh, Ogre level with this post. :lol:

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:20 pm

Dungeon Magazine #59 has the 2E adventure Voyage of the Crimpshrine, which is explicitly set in Karameikos, as described in the Kingdom of Karameikos box set. Technically, Dungeon Magazine #62 has a 2E Red Steel adventure, Esmerelda's Bodyguard, because it has one sentence on cinnabryl and uses a couple of monsters only found in the Savage Coast Monstrous Compendium.

Other than that, you have a couple of half-hearted suggestions to place some of the 2E adventures found in Dungeon Magazine #58 into Karameikos or Glantri, and Dungeon Magazine #57 has a side trek with a single 2E encounter with a thoul.

At the end of Dungeon Magazine's print run are a couple of 3.5 articles on Bargle, including one adventure found in issue #150 that is a remake of Frank Mentzer's Bargle Red Box adventure.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:27 pm

stebehil wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:27 pm
I highly doubt that there were any adventures written for AD&D2 or later editions set on Mystara.
There were some, such as "Kill Bargle" in Dungeon #150 and "Masque of Dreams" in Dungeon #142.

stebehil
Ogre

Post by stebehil » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:31 pm

D`oh! How could I have forgotten "Kill Bargle"? Too bad the index does not show Mystara as a setting, then.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Post by Gravesguardian » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:37 pm

stebehil wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:31 pm
D`oh! How could I have forgotten "Kill Bargle"? Too bad the index does not show Mystara as a setting, then.
Bargle cast a Forget spell on you?

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:47 pm

Gravesguardian wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:48 pm
Havard wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:19 pm

-Havard
As long as they are for Mystara, then the answer is: Of course they should be included. Edition shouldn't matter so long as the adventure is set in Mystara.
Agreed.

The Karameikos boxed set has an adventure book with two AD&D adventures in it. Adventure One is called "Trouble in Threshold" while Adventure Two is called "The Sound of Madness." The last page of the book has an appendix called Karameikan Postings which relate to Handouts 10, 11, and 12. There is "The Wanted Poster" related to Bargle. The second one is "Halag Immigration" related to the Barony of Halag. And the third is called "Gnome Caravan" relating to the annual caravan from Highforge to Mirros.

There are also the 2E adventures Hail the Heroes, Night of the Vampire, and Mark of Amber. Glantri: Kingdom of Magic has a 32-page book called "The Test of Darkness," which I'm assuming is an adventure. It also has six mini-adventures as part of its contents.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Return to “Mystara”