[Nation] Taymora - Empire of the Dead

Rebuilding the world in the wake of the Great Rain of Fire.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Re: [Nation] Taymora - Empire of the Dead

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Here is the writeup for Jadikira's Ring:

Serpent Ring of Jadikira

This ring looks like a winding gold serpent with iridescent green jade scales and tiny ruby eyes, biting its own tail. The ring detects as magic, and displays the telltale signs of being a magic ring (changing size to accommodate the hand of the one who wears it). When worn, a number of powers become apparent through experimentation, or through dream messages from Jadikira (depending on certain circumstances).

• The wearer can speak with snakes 3 times per day for one hour each time (ask simple questions that permit a yes/no answer).

• The wearer can summon up to three snakes (common indigenous snakes only) once per day. Each snake can be asked to perform one simple task that is not dangerous (as per charm person spell). Snakes will arrive in 1d6 turns and stays until the task is completed or six hours passes – whichever comes first.

• At 3rd level, the wearer can shapechange into a snake once per day. The wearer can become any kind of mundane (i.e., normal-sized) snake, and while in snake form will have all of the abilities possessed by that type of snake (including movement rate, armour class, venom, constriction, etc.), but are unable to talk or cast spells. Hit points and saving throws are unchanged from their original form. They will remain in that state until they choose to revert back to their normal form, or 24 hours passes – whichever comes first. While in snake form all of the wearer's possessions vanish into a pocket dimension, and re-appear on the wearer's person when they re-assume their normal form. Once the wearer has resumed their original form, they cannot shapechange again until a full 24 hours has passed.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Chimpman wrote::twisted:
I like that a lot GG! So I assume your player's character already has 2 of the 4 items she needs (a ring and dagger)?
Yep. I haven't designed the others, but since this is a longer-term plotline there's not a huge rush, so I expect they'll be designed on this forum. :twisted:
Chimpman wrote:I wonder what happens when all four items are brought together? I wonder if Jadikira could be having the same kinds of conversations with the folks in possession of those other 2 items. If Jadikira's intellect really is broken up and separated amongst multiple items, the poor former queen might be playing at cross purposes with herself! Of course, in the end one person would possess all 4 items... but there might be some heavy competition to acquire them all...
Hmmmm....this is evil. I like it. If all four items are reunited in one person's possession, Jadikira regains all of her powers and memories and becomes strong enough to possess them. The victim is then sealed away in a corner of Jadikira's mind (basically trapped in her memories), while the Taymoran queen uses her new body to further her aims. This has been her plan all along, of course, since she knew that Taymora was going to fall and she was determined to survive it. The reason why the sphere encasing the ring melted away is because it was magically encoded to do so when held by a young woman carrying Jadikira's blood (possession is far easier that way). I quietly determined that Marguerite has, somewhere deeply buried in her genetic background, some Taymoran ancestry - specifically, one of her distant ancestors was conceived during one of Jadikira's love affairs (likely before she became a vampire). Anyhow, descendants of that child migrated north after BC 1700, mixing with local people, and their descendants migrated further into the Darokinian melting pot over the following centuries.

But you raise an excellent question. What if someone else has found the staff or tiara, and are being guided by another fragment of Jadikira? "There can be only one." :twisted:
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Seer of Yhog wrote:But you raise an excellent question. What if someone else has found the staff or tiara, and are being guided by another fragment of Jadikira? "There can be only one." :twisted:
Yeah, I love the idea that while the PC is out looking for those relics, someone with one of those relics is out looking for her :twisted:. If they are both descended from the same line, they may even share some physical/mental qualities. The PC could basically be facing an older, more experienced (more corrupted) version of herself. Nice way to foreshadow things to come...
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Just running through some old threads and I found this gem in Cruth Lowlands map. Adding it here so as not to loose track of it.
agathokles wrote:Turnwood
This high magic point is a nexus for shapechanging and transformation magics. Here, spells that alter the shape of beings and items are easier to cast and research (x2 duration and 1/2 research time).

More than three millennia ago, the Taymorans created their brand of lycanthropy here, in an attempt to create the ultimate soldiers for their slave armies. The Taymorans built here a secret, extensive research facility, complete with wizard towers, observatories, alchemical laboratories, medical rooms, dungeons, containment rooms, wards, traps and assorted defenses. Later on, the Traldar wizard Zirchev also conducted research in the Turnwood.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

Chimpman wrote:Just running through some old threads and I found this gem in Cruth Lowlands map. Adding it here so as not to loose track of it.
agathokles wrote:Turnwood
Later on, the Traldar wizard Zirchev also conducted research in the Turnwood.
OOOh. This is very good to know. :twisted:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

I've hit a bit of a brain block and I love to get some feedback.

Premise: In this time period Taymora is a rough confederation of city states. Most rulers of those said city states are vampires (usually created/descended directly from Tayma), and they usually take the title of "Queen of XYZCity_Name". In looking at the map, I am finding certain circumstances where it makes sense that a major settlement (ruled by a Queen) has some affiliation with/dominance over a lessor settlement. I assume such lessor settlements will still have a de-facto ruler of some type.

Question: What title would these lesser rulers take? I want them to be subservient to their respective queens to some degree, but they should still have some kind of title.

I think I'd like to stray away from typical noble titles - keeping to the City State theme I really want the queens to stand out, but what titles would they appoint to their lessors? Some ideas (none of which I'm totally happy with):
Governor
Mistress/Master
Lady/Lord

Anyone else have any ideas?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

Chimpman wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:59 pm
Governor
Mistress/Master
Lady/Lord

Anyone else have any ideas?
Archon
Queen's Blade
Queen's Fang
Bloodblessed
Hand of the Queen
Arm of the Queen
Blood of the Queen
Blood Queen/King
Slave Queen/King
Princess/Prince
Sword of the Queen
Beloved
Templar
Lasher
Scourge
Hierarch
Ensi (a Sumerian title for a ruler; an ensi reported to a lugal, or great king).

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

It depends on what is the RW background you want to use. For Taymora, I tend to use Carthage as a rough inspiration. Then sufetes would work. Sufetes were the carthaginian consuls. The name is essentially the same as the one used for the biblical judges (shophetim), so judge is also an interesting option.

GP

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

.... just so long as there isn't a "Judge Undredd" joke slipping in anywhere, ok?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

RobJN wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:04 pm
.... just so long as there isn't a "Judge Undredd" joke slipping in anywhere, ok?
crud... now I have to work this in :lol:

Thanks rip and GP! I do like the "judge" term. That is sufficiently different from other things I've seen in the Known World. I also really like a couple of the terms that rip came up with - Archon, Lasher, Scourge, Hierarch. Some of those might be better suited to a military style leader (ie. general or some such). The good news is that because Taymora is not a unified, monolithic culture in this time period, using multiple different titles might be appropriate.

Hmmm... you know Sturm postulated a bunch of different cultures living in the Taymora area... I wonder if I can figure out the term for judge in each of those languages and then use something similar. Perhaps the meaning is all the same across Taymora, but depending on the region you are in, the actual title might be a different word. Good ideas bubbling up. Thanks folks!
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

RobJN wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:04 pm
Considering we have a Magnus, PI in modern Ierendi, I'd consider a "Judge Undredd" perfectly appropriate to Taymora :twisted:

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Chimpman wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:22 pm
Hmmm... you know Sturm postulated a bunch of different cultures living in the Taymora area... I wonder if I can figure out the term for judge in each of those languages and then use something similar. Perhaps the meaning is all the same across Taymora, but depending on the region you are in, the actual title might be a different word. Good ideas bubbling up. Thanks folks!
Yes, of course there would be some degree of variance depending on which region you were considering, and which non-Taymora inhabitants it might hold.

BTW, note that "archon" is a Greek term that refers in classical Greece to state rulers similar to modern presidents (although in Athens there were at least three archons, since the kingly roles of high priest, commander-in-chief and political leader where split among different figures). Following the incorporation of Greece in the Roman Empire, "archon" was used to refer to Roman governors, and later to Byzantine ones. Note that while the Roman governors were originally pro-consuls or pro-praetors, these roles became obsolete, so that in the early middle ages, the Latin translation of "archon" was, at least in Sardinia, Iudex (=Judge), which became the title of the four Sardinian kings that ruled that island when it was isolated from Byzantium by the roman-barbarian kingdoms and the saracen pirates.

Thus, I would tend to use archon for Greek-like cultures (such as the Traldar and Milenians).

GP

JamesMishler
Ogre

Post by JamesMishler »

I used Sumerian originally for Taymoran:

Lugal = City Priest-King
Ningal = City Priest-Queen

Ensi = Priest-Prince (as of a town or regions)
Ninsi = Priest-Princess (as of a town or regions)

Ennun = Lord
Ninnun= Lady

Note that while nobles could be of any class, and be governors of a village or minor or military district, only clergy of Nyx were allowed to become rulers of cities or towns or major regions.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Chimpman wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:22 pm
Yes but the inspirations for them are cultures of which we have very little information about rulers and titles, such as ancient Cretans (Maharians), Aegeans (Eokai) Ligurians (Albai) and Megalithic cultures (Tudaka) plus the Antilles inspired Oltecs of the west (Oteino). Then the Etruscans and the Sea People to the east in modern Thyatis.
Rex (king) is from latin, while the Etruscans used the word lauchme or lucumo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucumo) while the Antilles amerindians used the word Cacique (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cacique) but even when we know the word, we are uncertain of its etimology. For example in Nahuatl (Aztec) the word translated in Spanish as King or emperor did not meant king but, roughly, Speaker (even if the Aztec 'Speaker' had indeed the power of a King).
The latin word Rex literally means 'governor', 'handler' while etimology of the english king is uncertain, could be 'leader of the people' or 'noble birth'.
It is likely the Etruscan Lucumo means something like 'head of the families' while some historians supposed the Ligurians had titles like 'high father' and 'high mother'.
What I mean you could either use any invented or real word, deciding it means 'king', 'governor' or whatever and link to it a specific meaning, if the people are aware of the meaning of the world, as probably ancient people were.
For the matriarchal cultures such as Maharians, Taymorans and Albai variations of 'mother' or 'father' could be appropriate.
For the more classical clan/tribe based cultures something like 'head of the families/clans' could work.
Cacique comes from the Taíno word kassiquan, meaning "to keep house".
Often these words indicated in fact what the culture considered very important, so 'High Builder' could work best for the Tudaka/Colimans, or 'High Captain' for the Sea People inspired Frontierlands.
The Taymorans may translate all of them as 'king' and 'queen' while the regional meanings could be different.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

I'm going to try and post a little bit here on a semi-regular basis, just to see if I can get back into developing this version of Taymora. For now we have the free cities:

The Western States
Map of Taymora

The Free Cities

Soleclea
Population: XXX (% XXX Human (Mahakian), )
Max Spending Limit: XXX gp
Important Figures: Free Council, formerly Queen Durjas (Fifth Daughter of Night - deposed)

Soleclea is the largest and oldest city state in Western Taymora, and has over the last several decades won its freedom from the rule of the vampire queens. Now it serves as a shining beacon to other Taymoran cities, of what they can become once their plague of undeath is shed.

When Queen Durjas (the Fifth Child of Tayma) was vanquished by the priests of Sol, her progeny fled south seeking sanctuary in Tamoraz. Unfortunately Queen Jadikira was most displeased by their failure and destroyed every last one of them. The struggles of Soleclea are not over however, as the newly established matriarchy faces serious opposition from the patriarchal Cult of Sol. Neither are the Daughters of Night finished with the city, for Queen Nashane of Tycur covets its wealth and resources, and Queen Jadikira seeks revenge on the mortals who overthrew the vampiric nobility.

Kisu
Important Figures: Patriarch of Idu (Cult of Sol)

Nestled deep in the wooded hills at the feet of Idu’s Ending, Kisu is a bastion for the Cult of Sol. Before the liberation of Soleclea, many adherents of Idu fled westward and founded this simple community. From here they plot against the Vampire Queens of Taymora and to a lesser extent the matriarchy that arose from their absence in Soleclea. Ancient lava tunnels found on the outskirts of the village lead into the mountains and underground chambers where the cult communes with their fiery patron.

Turinth
Important Figures: Mayor Madhi

Only just recently liberated by freedom fighters from Soleclea, Turinth has quickly grown into a haven for adventurers and others of like mind looking to throw off the shackles of the vampire queens. Since gaining its freedom, Turinth has allied itself closely with both Soleclea and Kisu, but blood boils hotter here. While council elders in Soleclea fret over ensuring their continued freedom, the youth that have flocked to Turinth routinely harry the vampiric controlled countryside.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

very interesting, I suppose the non-vampiric human matriarchy has the protection of some Immortal too? I do not recall if you established this previously, maybe Ordana? or else?
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Sturm wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:19 am
very interesting, I suppose the non-vampiric human matriarchy has the protection of some Immortal too? I do not recall if you established this previously, maybe Ordana? or else?
I am currently exploring a small area, where ancient Mystara sources come up.
One of these is the immortal Pax (and Thalia). As both went beyond the dimensional boundary like the Immortal Grammaton did earlier, in the last decades (before 1000AC), we can assume some things.
One; Pax and Thalia were Immortal and Hierach earlier, and decided later to become Mortal again, and the assume Immortality and gaining Hierarch level again, only to be able to cross this boundary. Thus far canon rules.
Two; Pax (and Thalia) as being Hierarchs must have had a large following, probably spread over Mystara, as there is no canon source of these Immortals having a dominant faith.
Three; There roots seem to be spread as canon on the Isle of Dawn, and Taymora.
Four; It would be more than logical if these Immortals of peace would be a opposing group of Immortals in the Taymoran era...a faith for the commoners and not the undead reigning forces.
Five; As the immortal koryis is mentioned as the friend and followup of Pax his portfolio is active in the same regions in 1000AC. it can thus be assumed the original faith, may have only changed Immortal, and hence was probably more a dogma than a faith to a singular or group Immortals. The Dogma would be Peace, and understanding. The region throughout History has always been effected by short bursts of peace, slowly overtaken by bad forced, until this Dogma is retaken....This alone with the canon seems to relate this faith was active in this region.

I am still writing, yet this will soon be released (it depicts the three islands North of Safairi Island 1000AC where beffore 1750BC these were a region of hills. Here the 1000AC en 1750BC/1000AC overlay

@Chimpman/Seer of Yogh; I would love it when you would use these Immortals in your work of this region. ;)
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

All my collected works on The Piazza

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

I had to look both Pax and Thalia up in the Codex (sources from M5 and IM1). There's not much there, but based on what little we know of them, they should be around (as hierarchs - so pretty powerful) in BC 2300. One thing I always go back to when dealing with BC 2300 is the idea that we are dealing with issues after the GRoF - one of the core issues being how did folk in Mystara protect themselves from that catastrophe and its aftermath. In Taymora it was by turning to Nyx (as Tanit) and her priestesses (in this case a bunch of vampire queens led by Tayma).

I've worked out some of the early (pre-Taymoran) history of these people, calling them Uhaarans (see Threshold 12). They came originally from a region just north of the Black Mountains. Tanit could have been a minor immortal for these people or she could have been a new Immortal introduced by Tayma, but they would have originally worshiped other Immortals as well. Both Pax and Thalia could fit, though I would prefer having Thalia at the forefront of their pantheon because I'd like to explore the Uhaaran as a matriarchal society.

I do think that during a time frame from around BC 2800 until BC 2400 that most Immortals in the original Uhaaran pantheon would have diminished in popularity, and taken a back seat to Tanit/Nyx. Once folks start suspecting that the Wasting may not be killing them outright anymore (and they no longer need the protection of their vampire lords or the Ceremony of Blood), those old Immortals might start making a comeback.

So to partially answer both your question as well as Sturm's, it is possible that Thalia takes on a primary role for the matriarchy in Soleclea after it is freed from vampiric rule. There could be some interesting tie-ins between Thalia and Idu/Ixion who is also an Energy Immortal, but there would also probably be some level of friction (due to his chauvinistic values).

There are also some complications that can make things more interesting. The Uhaarans brought their own pantheon into the region, but the many local folks that they conquer would have had their own Immortals as well. Those would have been suppressed by the vampiric theocracy but they wouldn't be forgotten. Ordana might not have been part of the original Uhaaran pantheon, but she is probably associated with at least one other local culture - the druidic Colimans. So she and her followers could be present to some degree. Another complication is that I don't think everyone would drop Tanit surreptitiously - after all she did in fact save the Taymorans from the Wasting disease after the GRoF. She might significantly fall out of favor however, but I don't see her being removed from the pantheon entirely.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

I absolutely understand.
Thalia being on the forefront of a matriarchal society would be very interesting.
Both she and Pax were of the oldest Im mortals in an era were Grammaton (Matter)was the first Immortal known to dissapear beyond the dimensional vortex by becoming mortal and then Hierarch Immortal again.
How she and Pax fell in love I don't know. I assume they already knew eachother, yet lived besides eachother looking with longing eyes for a loong time.
Pax would probably have then resided mostly on the early Isle of Dawn, while thallia on the continent.
It could very well be that the love of these immortals (and hence forgetting their mortals followers for a time) which would have enabled Tanit/Nyx to step in and take over between 2300BC and 1750BC.
However, the original faith would not be completely gone. There are some sources(AC10 Bestiary of Dragons and Giants, and the AD&D2 gianrtcraft book) suggesting Stone Giants did live in the region in peace with the humans, even helping their structures (Pyramids, temples, huge complexes and even dungeons) which could not have been created othrwise in such mass and detail.
Pax as Matter Immortal could very well have been the Immortal of the Stone giants in those days, and have been limited in effect on the Taymoran culture.
Whereas Thalia would have been more powerful and the Matriarch. Maybe it is this power which attracted Pax to Thalia, and maybe it is the more primitive strong masculinity of a Matter Immortal what allured Thalia to Pax. Eitherway, they fell in love and had became Mortal in the period before the GRoF, becoming Immortal arround the GRoF (this is unknown exactly) and active in the regions described above. They dissapeared a few decades before 1000AC in the dimensional Vortex after reaching the Hierarch rank for th second time. Nyx is still active(albeit only in small numbers)in mainly Thyatis but also Ierendi and Karameikos.Koryis took over Pax agenda (and many Immortals think he is Pax--yet Thalia is not there, without altering Koryis, so others say he's just a new favorite Immortal he sponsored (probably in the 2300BC-1750BC era).
Eitherway, back to the Pax Faith in 2300BC this would thus mostly be followed by Stone Giants and peaceful primitive humans, and some commoners of Taymora, while the Matriarch Thalia would indeed be very present, although Tanit/Nys is luking in the background gripping any chance she can take.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

That all seems to make sense. If Pax is related to giants, that might better fit in Grondheim, but as that nation shares a border with Taymora, some of his worship may filter in from the north (especially with the free folk that flocks to Soleclea).

On thing that I found interesting (and forgot to mention above): Pax - Thalia (Matter - Energy) seem to be somewhat of a reflection of Ixion - Valerias (Energy - Matter). They are all primordials, so must have all known one another for a very long time. Where Ixion and Valerias seem much more passionate and impulsive, Pax and Thalia seem more level headed and calm. I'm not sure how that dichotomy plays out in BC 2300 Taymora, but it is interesting.

I have had the idea for a long time that some of the Taymoran pantheons portray Ixion/Idu as a kind of bridegroom to Nyx/Tanit. Whether Ixion actually has any feelings for the Immortal of Entropy don't really matter... it could just be Taymoran propaganda. That kind of thing might really get under the skin of Valerias as well as Ixion (and IMO it's one reason that Ixion works to bring down Taymora).

There will also be a shift away from Nyx in the next several hundred years, even among the devout followers of undeath, as Thanatos (and probably other entropics) steals as many of her followers as he can. It might almost be seen as a kind of mini Nithian corruption. Anyway in BC 2300 I would say Nyx is nearing the end of her "Golden Age". Taymora will continue strong as a nation of undeath until BC 2000 or so (although not as firmly under Nyx's direction as it was before), and then finally falter and sink into the ocean circa BC 1750 - 1700.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Chimpman wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:10 pm
That all seems to make sense. If Pax is related to giants, that might better fit in Grondheim, but as that nation shares a border with Taymora, some of his worship may filter in from the north (especially with the free folk that flocks to Soleclea).

On thing that I found interesting (and forgot to mention above): Pax - Thalia (Matter - Energy) seem to be somewhat of a reflection of Ixion - Valerias (Energy - Matter). They are all primordials, so must have all known one another for a very long time. Where Ixion and Valerias seem much more passionate and impulsive, Pax and Thalia seem more level headed and calm. I'm not sure how that dichotomy plays out in BC 2300 Taymora, but it is interesting.
At least to stone giants....I found some sources which fit into this story line. some canon (Stone giants being silicon based oviparous lifeforms reliant on natural magic of the planet Mystara; AC10 Bestiary of Dragons and Giants), some related (Stone giants being in size related to giants, yet completely different from giants and other humanoids in most other aspects, life, and culture;AD&D2 Giantcraft), and some legendsRW on Easter Island & Hawaii.
Stone giants for example were not violent to other races, and even today use the least violence in respect to the other giants. This mght be a biological consequence, yet even then why did they become violent at the end of the Taymoran era, and Nithian Era. Structures build by these cultures clearly reveal the use of giants (RW Egypt legends, and conspiracy theories). All together it lets assume these peace loving creatures were soo different and in principle did accept there burden of forced builders (something they still enjoyed). It must be something very vile for stone giants to retaliate, changing their culture to begin disliking most humans. My thought on this is that under the influence of the entropic Immortals Taymoran and later Nithian humans discovered the Giant egg hatching caves and threatened the race's offspring. As Pax and Thalia both reactedafter 2000BC, and diminishing the entropic influences, I can agree Ixion would also step in to see in and act against Nyx, unaware he plays right into the agenda of Thanatos (which effects later become evident in the last decades of Nithia). It could be he had one or more serious afairs with Nyx before, enabling here to rise in power among the Immortals, and hence among the surface in Taymora. Yet the necromancy, Thanatos influences on these, and the resentment coming out of them in other Immortals and their followers (being Thalia, Valerias, Pax, Ixion, and other) would have a very significant effect, and would certainly have contributed to the degrading downfall of Taymora, the geologcal reactions of the living planet (either caused by the GRoF as PC3 suggests, or by Immortal Influences, or just a biological reaction on what is happening on its surface) finally causing the sinking of the whole continent south of the Black Peak, Cruth and AtlanTepes Mountains.
The many destroyed mountain areas (as I recreated by using the 1700BC and 1000AC map overlays in the Dymrak map ) and the many ruins in the regions of Karameikos, Shires, Thyatis suggest even here the continent sank ...(and actually it should as the rivers of the 1750BC map suggest them flowing over the 1000AC islands (Achelos river) hence the north area was even higher than expected...something I really dived in due my current making my 1mile hex map of the region.
Chimpman wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:10 pm
I have had the idea for a long time that some of the Taymoran pantheons portray Ixion/Idu as a kind of bridegroom to Nyx/Tanit. Whether Ixion actually has any feelings for the Immortal of Entropy don't really matter... it could just be Taymoran propaganda. That kind of thing might really get under the skin of Valerias as well as Ixion (and IMO it's one reason that Ixion works to bring down Taymora).

There will also be a shift away from Nyx in the next several hundred years, even among the devout followers of undeath, as Thanatos (and probably other entropics) steals as many of her followers as he can. It might almost be seen as a kind of mini Nithian corruption. Anyway in BC 2300 I would say Nyx is nearing the end of her "Golden Age". Taymora will continue strong as a nation of undeath until BC 2000 or so (although not as firmly under Nyx's direction as it was before), and then finally falter and sink into the ocean circa BC 1750 - 1700.
This is very interesting and logical. And would fall into the amorous effect of Ixion on other female immortals.
As the Immortal adventures reveal Nyx took an old male, beared persona thereafter...she must have been hurt emotionally thereafter, thus not only emotionally revealing her damaged feelings yet also trying to send at least some of it vback to the source; Ixion.
The WotI she took a female persona again...and clearly opposing Ixion.
My oh my...Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned...
this bodes bad for Ixion his faith in the future, for even if she would lose followers too, he would also.

It does suit the principle suggested in Gaz3 Glantri of religious wars preceding the destruction of the Radiance.
Combining all the information I already had collected, combined and created on the Radiance, I am thinking more and more how that moment would have come and resulted into a new Mystara...Maybe I Have to compile this into a full fledged campaign ....

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

The Western States (continued)
Map of Taymora

The City State of Karituja

Karituja
Population: XXX (% XXX Human (Eokai), Human (Mahakian), Lupin)
Important Figures: Queen Samane (Fourth Daughter of Night)

The city state of Karituja is large and militaristic. Initially tasked by Jadikira to continue the work of subjugating native populations, Samane spent years pacifying the local Eokai and campaigns against the Inti, Grondheim, and Adhuza continue to this day.

Three fortresses along the Intua border fall under Samane’s dominion, commanded by two of Kikanari’s daughters along with one of her own. Together, the matrons from these fortresses, form a council that advises the queen. Skirmishes with the Inti along the border are common.

Angered and disillusioned by the lack of support her sisters send, Samane is quietly gathering what forces she can. She plans to attack Tamoraz and overthrow Jadikira, setting the stage for a stronger, centralized Taymoran crown under her sole control.

Artuk
Population: XXX (% XXX Human (Eokai), Human (Mahakian))
Important Figures: (Matron Liahni, Daughter of Samane)

Artuk operates as both a fortress and an unofficial trading outpost where fortunes can be made by those brave enough to venture under its gaze. Trade is conducted in the shadow of Artuk, but the Inti are generally not welcomed beyond its gates.

Matron Liahni allows these activities to continue because she is able to profit from them. Merchants are generally taxed (either in silver or in blood), but Liahni is especially interested in adventurers and travellers from afar, from whom she purchases artifacts from across the world. Flaunting one's wealth or prowess in the region near the fortress may be a surefire way to obtain an audience with the Matron of Artuk, whether it’s wanted or not.

Deadrock Spire
Population: XXX (% XXX Human (Eokai), Human (Mahakian), Lupin)
Important Figures: (Matron Dinahri, Daughter of Kikanari)

Built around a large spire of basalt and obsidian thrust out from the mountainside, Deadrock Spire is a silent and foreboding place. Sounds near the fortress are actually muted, and some say that even colors are dulled. Matron Dinahri, the mistress of this place, is just as dour and soulless, and focuses many of her thoughts on ousting her sister Matron Mirahda in the north.

Troops from Deadrock reinforce their numbers with hordes of undead harvested from the Fields of Turkaja, and are often led by specters and wights. Sorties into Intua are regular, as well as skirmishes with their southern neighbors in Gardish.

Kikanari’s Gate
Population: XXX (% XXX)
Important Figures: (Matron Mirahda, Daughter of Kikanari)

Named in honor of Kikanari and her battle with Ghaeranatos, the Gate protects Taymora from incursions by Intua and Grondheim to the north. It is rumored that Matron Mirahda has a relic of her mother Kikanari that enhances her powers greatly, causing most of her sisters to seethe with jealousy and rage. Whether she possesses such an artifact or not, Mirahda is in contact with one of the Blind Fathers of Intua, with whom she shares necromantic secrets. That knowledge has greatly increased her own powers and allowed her to create undead minions not seen elsewhere in Taymora.

Though smaller than the forces of the two other western keeps, Kikanari’s Gate is bolstered by a handful of desiccated mummies, several undead hill giants, and perhaps something even larger.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Return to “2300 BC”