Baldurs Gate2: Githyanki and Beholder Spelljammer ships!

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Baldurs Gate2: Githyanki and Beholder Spelljammer ships!

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:02 am

been playing Baldurs Gate2, properly, for the first time

in the Udnerdark, in a drow city, you meet a githyanki captain who says his ship has broken down after being damaged sailing the "Astral Seas" (note this was back in 2nd ed days)
then you get tasked to kill a beholder who has been using his Spelljammer ship to smuggle adamantite. ntoe that is according to the text of the NPC who gives the quest that it is a Spelljamming ship he uses.

the ships docked bedide the walkways look sort of like miniature Deathspiders for a handful of crew at most.
Interesting! :)
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Re: Baldurs Gate2: Githyanki and Beholder Spelljammer ships!

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:44 am

ah HA! foudn a "Spelljammer drow" up on the higher pathways beside a ship, will post a Screenshot of it tomorrow perhaps, alas ascreenshot doens't capture nametags so I may need to install an app to capture it all.

he says he hijacked his ship in Krynnspace 20 years ago, and he's just back form a raid on gnomes near Colia where he got damaged
:)

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:50 am

Sweet find Silverblade, wish I had the game now. :)
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

nerik
Bionoid

Post by nerik » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:00 am

I remember this bit, actually there are two incidents:

(Spoilerd just in case)

1) A gitkyanki 'astral ship' attacks the PC's ship after they leave spellhold. IIRC this ship was shown in adverts for the game.

2) There is a drow spelljamming dock in the drow city, as described above. IIRC the 'spelljamming drow' mentions that he hijacked his ship from neogi :twisted:

MODERATOR EDIT (by Big Mac): White text changed to HIDE tag.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:35 pm

Silverblade-T-E wrote:been playing Baldurs Gate2, properly, for the first time

in the Udnerdark, in a drow city, you meet a githyanki captain who says his ship has broken down after being damaged sailing the "Astral Seas" (note this was back in 2nd ed days)
Ships have been sailing the Astral plane since close to 1st edition days. Voidjammers is an old Dragon article (early 100's, IIRC). Githyanki Astral-sailing ships were detailed in Planescape, with the Guide to the Astral Plane. Its nothing new, but was not meant to be in replacement of spelljammer.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:56 pm

I don't remember any of that - must have a rummage in the loft to see if I ever had BG2 - I thought I did.

Old age ... :?

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:58 pm

Well pirates of Gith can Plane Shift organic ships to the Astral Plane ;)
ie wood, or elven, elven is best.

Azagahl
you can buy the entire collection, 4 discs on DVDs from Amazon now :)
note though, they screwed up the Tales of The Sword Coast disc is AMERICAN, rest are UK/World English, so if you install TOTSC on a non-American/Canadian PC, it screws up Baldurs Gate 1, doh. (ways round it though)

For various reasons I ended up not playing this years ago and only now finnally got into it, and found where I am mentioned in the game: the Crom Faeyr hammer, like Thor's Hammer not just a Hammer of Thunderbolts (gives 25 strength, kills giants on a hit etc), "Silverblade" is the name of the dwarven smith who made it (as noted in the lore) ;)
cause I used to be on the old Interplay baords for the BG games

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/BG2/Updat ... h35022.jpg

MODERATOR EDIT (by Big Mac): Broken italic tag fixed.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:31 pm

Silverblade-T-E wrote:Well pirates of Gith can Plane Shift organic ships to the Astral Plane ;)
ie wood, or elven, elven is best.

Azagahl
you can buy the entire collection, 4 discs on DVDs from Amazon now :)
note though, they screwed up the Tales of The Sword Coast disc is AMERICAN, rest are UK/World English, so if you install TOTSC on a non-American/Canadian PC, it screws up Baldurs Gate 1, doh. (ways round it though)

For various reasons I ended up not playing this years ago and only now finnally got into it, and found where I am mentioned in the game: the Crom Faeyr hammer, like Thor's Hammer not just a Hammer of Thunderbolts (gives 25 strength, kills giants on a hit etc), "Silverblade" is the name of the dwarven smith who made it (as noted in the lore) ;)
cause I used to be on the old Interplay baords for the BG games

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/BG2/Updat ... h35022.jpg
Awesome to get a mention Silverblade. Not able to buy it now, lack of money and all that.

MODERATOR EDIT (by Big Mac): Broken italic tag fixed.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:58 am

night_druid wrote:Ships have been sailing the Astral plane since close to 1st edition days. Voidjammers is an old Dragon article (early 100's, IIRC).
Dragon #159, actually. Which was a Spelljammer-themed issue from 1990, although "Voidjammers" wasn't itself a Spelljammer article.

You may also be thinking of the adventure "Fedifensor" in Dragon #67, which introduced the githyanki void cruiser, a ship that puts the later "voidjammers" to shame. This was back in 1982, so very firmly 1st edition.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:46 pm

Silverblade-T-E wrote:in the Udnerdark, in a drow city, you meet a githyanki captain who says his ship has broken down after being damaged sailing the "Astral Seas" (note this was back in 2nd ed days)
I'm sure that Astral Seas existed all the time. There is that thing on the WotC website (if it is still up there) that has a bunch of githyanki living in a port built on the side of a giant head (of a dead god).
Silverblade-T-E wrote:then you get tasked to kill a beholder who has been using his Spelljammer ship to smuggle adamantite. ntoe that is according to the text of the NPC who gives the quest that it is a Spelljamming ship he uses.
Does it say what sort of ship?
Silverblade-T-E wrote:the ships docked bedide the walkways look sort of like miniature Deathspiders for a handful of crew at most.
Interesting! :)
Miniature Deathspiders? Think you could get a picture of that?
Silverblade-T-E wrote:ah HA! foudn a "Spelljammer drow" up on the higher pathways beside a ship, will post a Screenshot of it tomorrow perhaps, alas ascreenshot doens't capture nametags so I may need to install an app to capture it all.
"Spelljammer drow"? Is that a ship or an NPC?

Either way, I'd like to know more. Is there a name?
Silverblade-T-E wrote:he says he hijacked his ship in Krynnspace 20 years ago, and he's just back form a raid on gnomes near Colia where he got damaged
:)
Is there a date given for Balder's Gate 2? It would be interesting to use Paul Westermeyer's timeline to jump 20 years into the past of Krynn and get context for what was going on in Krynnspace at that time.
ripvanwormer wrote:
night_druid wrote:Ships have been sailing the Astral plane since close to 1st edition days. Voidjammers is an old Dragon article (early 100's, IIRC).
Dragon #159, actually. Which was a Spelljammer-themed issue from 1990, although "Voidjammers" wasn't itself a Spelljammer article.

You may also be thinking of the adventure "Fedifensor" in Dragon #67, which introduced the githyanki void cruiser, a ship that puts the later "voidjammers" to shame. This was back in 1982, so very firmly 1st edition.
I might need to buy some Dragon and Dungeon magazines (US ones, probably).
night_druid wrote:Githyanki Astral-sailing ships were detailed in Planescape, with the Guide to the Astral Plane. Its nothing new, but was not meant to be in replacement of spelljammer.
I think I need to find out more about "void cruisers" and "astral-sailing ships", so that I can work out what the Pirates of Gith might have at their disposal.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks to Mynameisnotlilly on YouTube, there is a massive Lets Play walkthrough of Balders Gate 2 in total detail.

Let's Play BG2/ToB 464 [138.01.a] Ust Natha (Cont'd) has the character, who is called "Spelljammer Drow" from 7.15 to 8.18. The drow's ship is visible for a while after that as the party leaves the area (at 8.45 he goes back to the area to show you the drow's ship).

Here is what "Spelljammer Drow" says (you can see the original dialogue box at 7.35):
Spelljammer Drow wrote:Greetings to you, female, you like the look of my ship? A fine astral vessel. Been working the flows since I hijacked this rig in Krynnspace 20 years ago.

Just came back from raiding a gnomish sloop, myself. Fair booty, although the ship took more damage than expected. Ah, after some repairs, she'll be fine.

You the adventuring sort, female? If you're still in Ust Natha in a month or so, maybe you'll join up? Because of those infernal gnomes I could use the extra crew.

Think about it anyway. Next trip is out to Colia, and it's quite a sight.
SJ TIMELINE NOTE: There is a relative date in this NPC text, giving us two points on the timeline:
  • BG2-20: At least one spacefaring drow is active in Krynnspace and
  • BG2+0: The same spelljamming drow is docked at the Toril spelljamming port of Ust Natha following a battle with a gnomish sloop.
I'll punt this over to Paul W. to see what he makes of it. Does anyone have a (DR) date for BG2 itself?

A second spelljamming ship (unless they are both astral ships) is visible from 9.35-10.10, but there is no interaction with the crew this time.

Let's Play BG2/ToB 466 [139.01] Beholder Smuggler is another part of the uber-walkthrough. Mynameisnotlilly starts off with a summary of the Spelljammer action (from the video above) and points out that there are two other ships (a total of three) in Ust Natha. The third ship is a Githyanki ship, with NPCs called "Githyahki Captain" and "Githyanki" stood in front of it.

Check out the encounter from 4.00-6.00. That is the briefing of the mission to deal with the adamantine smuggling beholder, that Silverblade mentioned in the OP. And you can see the battle shortly afterwards.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:21 am

I got a reply over here: Let's Play BG2/ToB 466 [139.01] Beholder Smuggler:
Mynameisnotlilly wrote:Hey, David, sure. :) You were wondering about the Baldur's Gate 2 timeline--the game begins the 1st of Mirtul, 1369 D.R. On the off chance that you're not aware of other inter-campaign-setting content in the game--but not necessarily spelljamming--the planar sphere has Solamnic Knights from Dragonlance and possibly halflings from Dark Sun [seen in video no. 268 onwards]. As a player, I thought these ships might have been an opportunity to send the knights home. ;)
Now I've got to hunt down the link for video 268 and see what the Solamnic Knights are up to.

The possible Dark Sun connection is interesting, as I've not been aware of a link into Dark Sun before. CGR1 The Complete Spacefarer's Guide, which discourages the idea of a crossover, but doesn't entirely rule it out, is the only thing I've seen.

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:39 am

yeah I can assure you the halflings ARE from Athas ;) damn rough little SOBs, lol, ouch!

the Planar Sphere though is a special thing in the game, it's not a Spelljaming ship or Sj related. it's a Plane hopping "building"
the player though does come across SJ related stuff, as noted, in that drow Underdark area.

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:55 am

pretty sure there's a crashed spelljammer as well, in the place where you can get the tinker gnome partymember.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:24 am

Here we go: EDIT: Video 272 added. More to follow. Watch this space

SJ TIMELINE NOTE: It is possible that the Solamnic Knights are not just knights from Krynn, but knights from the Krynn of 500 years ago.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is the end of the halflings, but I'm wondering if the Planar Sphere has hopped from Toril to Athas (and is surrounded by magically insuparsable 1 foot high walls to prevent the player from leaving the area :) ).

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:36 pm

About four days ago, I didn't even realise you could get personal messages through YouTube. I'm glad I found that out because Mynameisnotlilly, just did an amazing amount of reseach on this for us (and the guy is not even a member of The Piazza :cool: ):
Mynameisnotlilly wrote:I admire your passion! :) If you have a copy of the game, you can download a free game data browser called Near Infinity, and search through dialog files, character records, item descriptions, etc. I uploaded some pictures from the Ust Natha area [AR2200.ARE] for you here of the three ships:

Spelljammer 1: http://i51.tinypic.com/21mcbqq.jpg
Spelljammer 2: http://i52.tinypic.com/2ai70p.jpg
Spelljammer 3: http://i53.tinypic.com/1074091.jpg

Also, I appended some other text you might be interested in (you probably have some of this already). Just note that I'm technically using a mod, but it's only supposed to fix bugs, not add or remove content (BG2:SoA/ToB version 2.5.26461 with ToB patch 26498 and BG2 Fixpack Version 9 [Core Fixes and GTU Light only]). So if anything's changed from the original release, hopefully it's only been to correct spelling.

tmj
Not having a copy of the game, I've not heard of Near Infinity before, but I wonder if Silverblade and the other people with BG2 might want to download a copy and check out the in-game text.

With Mynameisnotlilly using a mod that fixes problems and Silverblade also using a mod (that makes the game work in the UK) I wonder if anybody on the forum has an unmodified version of BG2, just so they can double-check that "Spelljammer Drow" said "Colia" and not "Coliar" in the original unmodded version of the game.

Here is the stuff he sent me. The numbers should help anyone digging around to find the text:

Journal Entry [StrRef=23500]:
Journal Entry [StrRef=23500] wrote:Inside the Drow City

Phaere intends to join myself and Solaufein in attacking a beholder that has been smuggling adamantite. The beholder has come to the drow city on a Spelljammer ship off a platform in the southeast part of the city, and I am to meet Phaere and Solaufein there.
I think the beholder might come from the ship that has no crew standing outside of it. It is hard to tell because it pops into existence in a room in the video of the game. I'm not sure if it is invisible and appears during its first attack. :?

Dialogue with Spelljammer Drow [DADROW18.DLG]:
Spelljammer Drow [DADROW18.DLG] wrote:Greetings to you, <MALEFEMALE>, you like the look of my ship? A fine astral vessel. Been working the flows since I hijacked this rig in Krynnspace twenty years ago.

Just came back from raiding a gnomish sloop, myself. Fair booty, although the ship took more damage than expected. Ah, after some repairs she'll be fine.

You the adventuring sort, <MALEFEMALE>? If you're still in Ust Natha in a month or so, maybe you'll join up? Because of those infernal gnomes I could use the extra crew.

Think about it, anyway. Next trip is out to Colia, and it's quite a sight.

I do a lot of my sailing underground; it is a surprisingly advantageous to fly at an eye tyrant silently from above. A glorious battle to honor Lolth, that is.

Have you ever seen Toril from the skies? Many Drow don't agree, but the view is superb. It took years to adjust... Now the Underdark feels alien at times.

Had a run-in with the Imperial Elven Fleet once. Blasted Man-of-War chased me for a week through the Grey Flow before we lost it, Lolth be praised.

Hah! Met a Shou Dragonship last year. Fools had never seen Drow; thought we were surface elves! Taught them a lesson... not that they lived to benefit, of course.

Three quick runs to Anadia and I swear you'll have halfling slaves to feed driders for a century. The Spider Queen visited me herself once... I kid you not.

Excuse me if I seem edgy; the Handmaidens are suspicious because I'm used to the surface. The Underdark isn't my home as much as Realmspace is, you see.

Time to get back to work on the ship. Materials are rare and fuel even more so. The life of a Spelljammer is never easy... hah... especially for a Drow.
This goes on for a lot longer than in the video. My guess is that the drow says more if you go back later (or if you try to start a second conversation).

Dialogue with Jan Jansen [DADROW18.DLG]:
Jan Jansen [DADROW18.DLG] wrote:I couldn't find anything good about the experience at all. No wonder Ao kicked them all out. He probably had to catch up on his housekeeping, of all things. Well, after all of that I was more than happy to let Cyric have the job, eager puppy that he was. Left it behind me for a turnip farm and a nice pension, and gladly...although I eventually traded the pension for some stock in a Spelljammer trading cruiser, which was a bad decision but all us mortals aren't immune to that, of course. Lost the farm, too, in a game of checkers to Uncle Fibbert. But that turned out all right, as the turnips got a bad rot that year and Uncle Fibbert died of too much intestinal gas. Poor man.

See that, <CHARNAME>... you just can't reason with the Gith. Must be something to do with those spelljammer ships they ride around in - gives them extra-planar cabin fever. This reminds me of the time I was selling astral turnips on the outer planes. Opened a little shop with a garden in the back.
Nobody here seems to have mentioned Jan Jansen yet.

Dialogue with Phaere [UDPHAE01.DLG]:
Phaere [UDPHAE01.DLG] wrote:I did. I am to join you in this duty. The eye tyrant has come on his Spelljammer ship, near here. Solaufein and I will go and scout it out, alone.

The Spelljammer tyrant was supposed to be an elder, matron! I swear that is what the spies had reported! They must have exaggerated!
This would seem to be connected to the above mission to ambush and kill the beholder.

Anyhoo. I have to say thanks to Mynameisnotlilly for an amazing amount of cool information (and pictures). :ugeek:

I'm not sure if the pictures are going to stay up forever, so it might be worth grabbing them.

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:29 am

Big Mac wrote: Nobody here seems to have mentioned Jan Jansen yet.
*cough*

i beg your pardon?
Jaid wrote:pretty sure there's a crashed spelljammer as well, in the place where you can get the tinker gnome partymember.
;)

Return to “Spelljammer”