Cthulhu: 7th Edition?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Cthulhu: 7th Edition?

Post by Princess Strega »

As not having bought the 6th edition or any Cthulhu rpg books to date, I am looking to start a Cthulhu rpg collection. However, I notice that 6th edition was released in 2006. Next year will mark 5 years since the release of 6th Edition. So I'm curious if anyone has heard anything regarding a pending 7th Edition release.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Re: Cthulhu: 7th Edition?

Post by rabindranath72 »

No, I have heard nothing. Actually the 6th edition of the rulebook has been recently released as a pdf.
I would add that, if Chaosium follows the same trend of the last 30 years, the 7th edition won't have many differences w.r.t. the 6th. This is a BRILLIANT policy, and a testament to the fact that you CAN keep a game alive by not changing how it works. I wish TSR/WotC had done the same :?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

A bit of necromancy, since 7th edition has now been available for a while.
I've read the quickstart, and while it does follow the Chaosium policy of having only limited changes in the rule, this version does streamline the game a lot, smoothing out a number of issues -- most important of all, the use of character attributes which is now identical to that of skills. The type of changes is such that you don't really need to switch over to the new edition, but neither you are forced to hunt down out of print editions -- actually, if I didn't already have 6th, I'd certainly get 7th. Having 6th, I'll probably wait a while before getting 7th.

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

agathokles wrote:l, the use of character attributes which is now identical to that of skills.
What does that mean exactly? Do Attributes run from 1-100 now?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Both skills and attributes have two values, one in the 1-100 range and the other in the 1-20 range. For attribute, it means "Idea" and "Knowledge" rolls are now just Intelligence and Education rolls at x5, and all attributes can be rolled at x5 to make standard difficulty actions. Conversely, Skill/5 is the threshold for a stronger level of success on skill rolls.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Post by Princess Strega »

Does anyone know what the street date is for 7th Edition?

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

I recently finished playing my first 7th edition adventure (using the quick start rules as a player) and I really enjoyed it.
The ruleset feels very light and doesn't slow down the flow of the adventure (despite my worries) and Sanity is of course an important factor, but the party didn't become collectively insane as it was common at the times of the 1st edition.
Overall, a good experience that I will try again.
Of course, I can't tell how much of the good experience was due to the game master and how much was due to the good ruleset (and the adventure module), but this is true for all RPG games.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

The differences between 7th edition and the previous versions are relatively small, but it is worth getting it. Indeed, I'm now using 7th edition -- I got the core rulebook and the grimoire. Compatibility is very high with past editions, but the chase rules, combat and healing have been clarified, making the game easier to run.

GP

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

I made a long jump... a jump that is various decades long, from CoC 1e to CoC 7e, and I have to say that the 7th edition in play is very light and smooth, allowing the Keepers to focus on the stories and the atmospheres, rather than on the crunch (once the characters are generated and the character sheet is written down or, better, printed). This is good!
I don't remember that much the game mechanics of CoC 1e, but, in my memory, the adventures that I played decades ago with the 1st edition ended with most, if not all, characters completely insane, while the adventures that I played recently with the 7th edition usually end with a moderate loss of sanity, but no widespread insanity.
This way, when I used to play 1st edition, there were campaigns, but at each new adventure we had new characters that were related to the characters that we used during previous adventures (that is quite nice), while playing with 7th edition you can re-use the same character for several adventures (that is "normal" for many other rulesets, but "feels a bit strange" for CoC, but maybe this is just due to my previous experience....)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Well, we played 7e Horror on the Orient Express and none of the original investigators made it to the end.
Insanity or death are still very much a possibility in CoC 7e, although indeed not every scenario need end in a TPK. But it was the same in 6th and 5th. Maybe earlier editions were more deadly.

GP

Bugbear

Post by 1970 »

I've got the slipcase, the quick start, the beginner box, and the first adventure anthology and I still can't wrap my head around it. I keep looking it over and wondering what I'm missing. I pre-ordered Dark Ages Cthulhu 3rd Edition, which I hope will make something click, as the setting will be more familiar than the 1920s. That and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to play in Severn County in any era. :geek:
Formless Faceless and Free

CommanderCrud
Bugbear

Post by CommanderCrud »

Return to “Call of Cthulhu”