Monster Mythology Update Project

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Monster Mythology Update Project

Post by Havard » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:54 pm

Bonetti wrote:...which is where I intend to use him (having relocated the Temple of the Frog to modern Malpheggi Swamp, and the descendents of the Frog Men have become, over the thousands of years since Blackmoor, the bullywugs that now reside there (in my campaign)).

...as soon as real life stops keeping my game on hiatus, that is.
Sounds like its gonna be fun Bonetti! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Meriadar the Patient One

Post by AuldDragon » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:13 am

Like Stalker, Meriadar the Patient One is an outlier amongst the goblinoid deities. However, unlike that spiteful power, Meriadar has a race to call his own: the oft-enslaved mongrelmen. Through patience, tolerance, and understanding, he hopes to bring all the goblinoid races out from the shadow of evil. Enjoy!

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:54 am

It's funny how I keep stumbling across deities to add to my project. Just recently, I discovered a single line in Dungeon #2 (in Nigel Findley's adventure Caermor) referring to an evil dwarven god of revenge (even to undeath) called Cador, so into my project he goes! Also, Dungeon #5 has an adventure surrounding followers of the ascended tanar'ri Shami-Amourae, the goddess of debased eros and so-called Queen of Succubi. Seems fitting considering the other demon princes in the project already.

I seem to have this incessant need to find MOAR GODS to add to the project. I've already added Grond Peaksmasher, a giantish demigod of firbolgs from the Moonshaes in the Forgotten Realms, Refnara the gnollish god of fear from Dungeon #48, Krocaa, an aarakocra god from one issue of Dragon (can't recall which offhand), and of course the large expansion of draconic and centaur gods. Now I'm also considering a number of others. Anguileusis, the Anguillian god from Sea Devils Monstrous Arcana book, is one I'll probably take on, even though I do not particularly like the god or the monsters who worship him; however, they are canonically in FR's underdark. Then you've got the deities worshipped by grippli and grung; adding them could form the basis of a remnant amphibian/batrachian pantheon along with Ramenos. Of course, I'd have to come up with names for them, histories, relationships, etc. Then there is the deity worshipped by the squirrel-like kercpa, which is another god I'd need to name, and even Orcus himself. My fear with that last one is treading on toes or canon, since he has long been one of the popular great evils (and is mentioned in many products) in D&D history. There are a few others I'm considering, such as the Wise Queen of the K'r'r'r, an arachnid race from Spelljammer, the thri-kreen Mantis God of the Eternal Lotus, and the Vedic god of Rakshasas, Ravanna. Some pantheons have been mentioned but undetailed, which I am considering working on as well, such as the Neogi pantheon, the Dracon pantheon, and the Grommam pantheon. One problem with the latter two pantheons is that we know they exist, but that's it; no individual gods are specified. Finally, there are a small number of 3rd edition gods I might add to the project, such as the drow god Keptolo and some of the new Elven gods from Races of the Wild; I've pretty much ruled out the gnomish gods, the halfling gods, and most of the dwarvish gods for various reasons such as unnecessary similarity to existing gods, unimaginative and/or apocryphal nature.

I'm interested in what others think of these gods, and if there's been any other work done to expand some of these deities (the few I've searched for don't seem to have had much published).

Jeff
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:24 am

I wondered how much information might be found in old Dragon/Dungeon since you mentioned finding a few new gods. I looked at the Ecology of the Minotaur but it didn't have anything interesting. I looked at the Ecology of the Neogi (Dragon #214). It has five gods. I really should read that article. Lords of Madness doesn't mention those gods of course.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:44 am

dulsi wrote:I wondered how much information might be found in old Dragon/Dungeon since you mentioned finding a few new gods. I looked at the Ecology of the Minotaur but it didn't have anything interesting. I looked at the Ecology of the Neogi (Dragon #214). It has five gods. I really should read that article. Lords of Madness doesn't mention those gods of course.
Actually, it mentions six, one of whom is dead (Ka’jik’zxi). That was the Neogi pantheon I mentioned in my post. :)

Tapann is mentioned in Ed Greenwood's Ecology of the Korred, which I keep forgetting about, too.

Jeff

Dartamian
Troll

Post by Dartamian » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:52 am

AuldDragon wrote:It's funny how I keep stumbling across deities to add to my project. Just recently, I discovered a single line in Dungeon #2 (in Nigel Findley's adventure Caermor) referring to an evil dwarven god of revenge (even to undeath) called Cador, so into my project he goes! Also, Dungeon #5 has an adventure surrounding followers of the ascended tanar'ri Shami-Amourae, the goddess of debased eros and so-called Queen of Succubi. Seems fitting considering the other demon princes in the project already.
Shami-Amourae mythology is expanded in the final adventure path of the print edition of Dungeon Magazine. A few of the last handfuls of issues (146-149 maybe) detail her and her rivals along with giving her 3rd edition stats. She is not ascended in this version but was at one time the Queen of the Succubi until betrayed by one of her rivals. I believe in either the editorial or the bio in one of the magazines (might have even been the corresponding Dragon issue) the reference is made to Dungeon #5.

I'll try to remember to gather more information once I get back home after the holidays.
Dartamian
I'm a Troll!

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:26 am

Dartamian wrote:
AuldDragon wrote:It's funny how I keep stumbling across deities to add to my project. Just recently, I discovered a single line in Dungeon #2 (in Nigel Findley's adventure Caermor) referring to an evil dwarven god of revenge (even to undeath) called Cador, so into my project he goes! Also, Dungeon #5 has an adventure surrounding followers of the ascended tanar'ri Shami-Amourae, the goddess of debased eros and so-called Queen of Succubi. Seems fitting considering the other demon princes in the project already.
Shami-Amourae mythology is expanded in the final adventure path of the print edition of Dungeon Magazine. A few of the last handfuls of issues (146-149 maybe) detail her and her rivals along with giving her 3rd edition stats. She is not ascended in this version but was at one time the Queen of the Succubi until betrayed by one of her rivals. I believe in either the editorial or the bio in one of the magazines (might have even been the corresponding Dragon issue) the reference is made to Dungeon #5.

I'll try to remember to gather more information once I get back home after the holidays.
Thanks, although that sounds a bit different from how she is described in Dungeon #5 (no surprise there). I'd still be interested in whether any of it is useful or adaptable.

Jeff

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Nomog-Geaya the General

Post by AuldDragon » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:19 am

The last member of the goblin pantheon is the patron of the hobgoblins, Nomog-Geaya the General. A merciless combatant and commander, he is the perfect epitome of the ideal hobgoblin warrior. His priests are brutal and belligerent fighters, leading forces into battle at any opportunity. They are so well known for their rigid discipline that Nomog-Geaya has been known to punish those who show excessive emotion, even if it is from such spells as Tasha’s Uncontrollable Hideous Laughter. Enjoy!

Jeff

Dartamian
Troll

Shami-Amourae

Post by Dartamian » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:09 am

Into the Maw (Dungeon #147) introduces Shami-Amourae, a demon exiled to the Wells of Darkness (an abyssal super prison), as someone who knows about Demogorgon's weakness. She was a lover of Demogorgon and was exiled when he discovered she'd found a way to manipulate him. The clue that the adventurers need to free her from the Wells of Darkness and pushing them towards the next adventure.

Well of Darkness (Dungeon #148) Shami-Amourae, a minor demon lord known as the Lady of Delights, achieved great influence in Demogorgon's court by manipulating his two personalities. Tried to lure Demogorgon into launching an assault on the realm of Malcanthet, the Queen of the Succubi, so Shami-Amourae could seize her throne. Malcanthet got wind of plan and clued Demogorgon in and he imprisoned Shami-Amourae. Introduces Red Shroud, succubus daughter of Malcanthet and Pazuzu, who manipulates the Disciples of Delight (followers of Shami-Amourae) as information gatherers. She wishes to free Shami-Amourae to better her position in the Abyss. Characters must use a book of infinite spells with one page left, freedom, to free Shami-Amourae. Provides stats for Shami-Amourae (CR 19).

Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Malcanthet (Dragon #353) History, goals, stats, allies of the Malcanthet, Queen of the Succubi. Relevant quote from article.
Malcanthet has held the title of Queen of the Succubi for a relatively short period of time - 2,000 years. The title is young (Malcanthet being the only demon to hold it), and Malcanthet is well aware of this fact. In order to secure the position, she spent countless centuries waging war, both overtly and covertly, against her primary competitors. Shami-Amourae, a succubus associated with depraved sexuality, became imprisoned in the Well of Darkness after Malcanthet wooed away her lover Demogorgon and used him to defeat her. Xinivrae (a succubus who reveled in the seduction of women) succumbed to a horrid wound at Malcanthet's lash and was cast into the infinite wash of the Dreaming Gulf (the 230th layer of the Abyss). Only Lynkhab survived Malcanthet's wrath, and even she is but a shadow of her former glory as the patron of the self-destructive, now so mired in her own depression that she's incapable of offering any sense of resistance to Malcanthet.
From Malcanthet's entry in Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss she is the patron of
the hedonistic, the lustful, and those who would use their beauty and magic charms to control and ruin those around them
Also mention of Shami-Amourae
Many other minor demon lords such as Shami-Amourae and Lynkhab vie for the title of Queen of the Succubi, but none have been able to usurp Malcanthet from her throne yet.
Dartamian
I'm a Troll!

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:42 am

From those descriptions, I think I'll stick to what is in the Dungeon adventure, where she is a full fledged deity and not just a minor Abyssal lord. There's more information about her and her followers in that one adventure than there is for many other 1e gods, and I think it is worth expanding it rather than tossing it like it seems they did in 3.x. I suspect someone decided to make Malcanthet the "only one to ever hold the title" of Queen of Succubi without looking to see if there had been one named earlier.

Jeff

Gecko
Storm Giant

Post by Gecko » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:08 pm

I had always thought the core deities were sparse, undetailed, underdeveloped, and particularily not incorporated with one another in relation to, say... the Mystaran Immortals. This project of yours has opened my eyes and is making me rethink that.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Baphomet, Demon Lord of Minotaurs

Post by AuldDragon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:58 am

Baphomet, Demon Lord of Minotaurs, like Yeenoghu, is a tanar'ri lord who has gained enough power to become a full-fledged deity, adopting minotaurs as his followers. As he believes he is the master of all beasts, he spends a great deal of time creating and modifying new monsters; similarly, many wizards with a desire to do the same are drawn to his service. Enjoy!

Jeff

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Refnara the Moon-Biter

Post by AuldDragon » Fri May 10, 2013 11:05 am

Refnara the Moon-Biter is the old Gnoll goddess of fear, mentioned solely in the adventure "To Bite the Moon" in Dungeon #48. There was quite a bit in that adventure to extrapolate from, and I drew upon a bunch of ideas I had floating around to make quite an interesting deity, I think. Enjoy!

Jeff

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Refnara the Moon-Biter

Post by Knightfall » Tue May 14, 2013 7:42 am

AuldDragon wrote:Refnara the Moon-Biter is the old Gnoll goddess of fear, mentioned solely in the adventure "To Bite the Moon" in Dungeon #48. There was quite a bit in that adventure to extrapolate from, and I drew upon a bunch of ideas I had floating around to make quite an interesting deity, I think. Enjoy!

Jeff
Cool.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Skoraeus Stonebones, the Living Rock

Post by AuldDragon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:42 am

Skoraeus Stonebones, the Living Rock, is of the same generation as Thrym and Surtr, and like them, has become the patron of one of the breeds of giants. Unlike his brothers, he is not evil; but their evil has cause him to turn away from the wider world to focus solely on his followers. As a god of crafts and artistic creation, he is still venerated by the other giant breeds, however.

I’m trying something a bit different with this post. I’ve noticed that the PDFs come up on Google much more often than the blog posts, so I’m making the deity entries in-line so they come up instead. Feedback is appreciated. This will not be the end of the PDFs, but I need to think about how to make them easily available but not have Google searches end up on them rather than the blog itself. Enjoy!

Jeff

Gecko
Storm Giant

Re: Skoraeus Stonebones, the Living Rock

Post by Gecko » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:48 pm

AuldDragon wrote:This will not be the end of the PDFs, but I need to think about how to make them easily available but not have Google searches end up on them rather than the blog itself.
Why not let google keep returning the pdf's but include a link within the pdf to the rest of your project's page? The pdf's are very handy.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:31 am

Gecko wrote:
AuldDragon wrote:This will not be the end of the PDFs, but I need to think about how to make them easily available but not have Google searches end up on them rather than the blog itself.
Why not let google keep returning the pdf's but include a link within the pdf to the rest of your project's page? The pdf's are very handy.
I'm not going to get rid of the PDFs; I'll be putting the one up for Skoraeus soon. But I think people would be more likely to browse the blog if a google search turns up a blog page with a link to download the PDF rather than a PDF with a link back to the blog.

Jeff

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:44 am

AuldDragon wrote:Skoraeus Stonebones, the Living Rock, is of the same generation as Thrym and Surtr, and like them, has become the patron of one of the breeds of giants. Unlike his brothers, he is not evil; but their evil has cause him to turn away from the wider world to focus solely on his followers. As a god of crafts and artistic creation, he is still venerated by the other giant breeds, however.

I’m trying something a bit different with this post. I’ve noticed that the PDFs come up on Google much more often than the blog posts, so I’m making the deity entries in-line so they come up instead. Feedback is appreciated. This will not be the end of the PDFs, but I need to think about how to make them easily available but not have Google searches end up on them rather than the blog itself. Enjoy!

Jeff

The PDF for Skoraeus is up now.

Jeff

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Kostchtchie, the Demon Prince of Wrath

Post by AuldDragon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:28 am

Kostchtchie, the Demon Prince of Wrath is another tanar’ri prince who is a true success story. Once a mortal human, he has risen to the rank of Abyssal lord and beyond, to become a true divinity. He is a hateful power of violence who lives in a realm of harsh ice and snow. He has attracted worship from the most violent and power hungry amongst the frost giant race through promises of wizardly magic, power over dragons, and priestly magic. Enjoy!

Jeff

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Gorellik the Loner

Post by AuldDragon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:12 am

Gorellik the Loner was once the primary patron of gnolls and flinds, but as those races have turned to other gods, he has languished and lost power. I’ve always thought Gorellik was an under-appreciated deity in the game, and a pretty interesting individual. I’ve tried to embellish his history a bit with some additional speculation on his origins, and set him up to be a more useful deity to DMs who want to make more varied gnollish cultures. Enjoy!

Jeff

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Thrym, the King of Ice

Post by AuldDragon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:33 am

Thrym, the King of Ice, is of the same generation of giantish deities as Skoraeus and Surtr, and like them, he has chosen to be patron to one specific breed of giant, the frost giants. His narrow focus on just one breed of giant, evil nature, and obsession with Freya and the other Aesir and Vanir have made him a disappointment to his father Annam. Enjoy!

Jeff

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Surtr the Black

Post by AuldDragon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:59 am

Surtr the Black is the patron of fire giants, and of the same generation as Thrym and Skoraeus. Like his brother Thrym, he has also become obsessed with the affairs of the Aesir, in part due to his hatred of the god Freyr. He is much more patient than his chaotic brother, and is willing to wait until the right time to make his move and lead his armies against Asgard, and slowly builds the strength of his warriors. Enjoy!

Jeff

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Memnor the Deceiver

Post by AuldDragon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Memnor the Deceiver is one of the more interesting of the evil giantish gods. As patron of evil cloud giants, he is directly opposed to Stronmaus and Annam, and in myth, is often said to be brother of one or the other. His worship is fairly complex, as it is subtle and focuses on charm and deception. In my research for divinities in other sources, I stumbled across an adventure in Dungeon #16 that offered a perfect opportunity to craft an alternate persona for Memnor, as not all of the giants know of his evil; the adventure “Palace in the Sky” by Martin & John Szinger included a very brief mention of a deity named Vilya in an evil cloud giant castle which I was able to incorporate into Memnor’s description as a false god of the openly evil cloud giants (as opposed to evil cloud giants within larger giantish society). Enjoy!

Jeff

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Hiatea the Huntress

Post by AuldDragon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:08 am

Hiatea the Huntress is one of the most powerful members of the giantish pantheon, having taken over Annam’s responsibilities with Stronmaus after their father withdrew from active leadership of the pantheon. She is a dual aspected deity, representing both community and wilderness, and has adopted the firbolg and voadkyn as her primary followers. Hidden by her mother upon her birth, she worked to prove herself worthy of her parentage, and appearance before Annam as a masterful hunter triggered his revelation that his extreme preference for sons may have been the cause of so much evil in the race of giants. Enjoy!

Jeff

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Karontor the Deformed One

Post by AuldDragon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:02 am

Karontor the Deformed One, with Grolantor, is one of the two “runts” of the Ordning—the smallest and weakest of the giantish pantheon, and the most degenerate and disappointing to their father Annam. His pursuit of dark magical powers corrupted his body and spirit, as well as those of his followers, the fomorians and verbeeg. For his crimes against the Ordning, he was banished by Annam and stripped of his magic, and so now he seethes in anger, hatred, and jealousy, waiting for the day he will regain his power and return to wreak “justice” upon the other giantish gods. Enjoy!

Jeff

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”