Outer World: Savage Coast Central Region, 8 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Thorf
Cartomancer

Outer World: Savage Coast Central Region, 8 miles per hex

Post by Thorf » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:43 pm

Maps

Replica of Savage Baronies map from Dragon 176, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, August 2008
Image Image Image Image

Replica of Robrenn map from Dragon 177, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, August 2008
Image Image Image Image

Replica of Eusdria map from Dragon 178, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, August 2008
Image Image Image Image

Replica of Renardy map from Dragon 179, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, August 2008
Image Image Image Image

Replica of Bellayne map from Dragon 180, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, August 2008
Image Image Image Image

Combined replica of Eastern Herath maps from Dragon 183, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, August 2008
Image Image Image Image

Updated map of Bellayne and Renardy, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, August 2008
Image Image Image Image

Updated map of Eusdria and Robrenn, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, August 2008
Image Image Image Image

Updated map of Bellayne, Renardy, Eusdria and Robrenn, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, August 2008
Image Image Image Image

Updated map of the Savage Coast Central Region, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, August 2008
Image Image Image Image

Comments
This map is a composite of lots of small ones, with some additional info from 24 mile per hex and non-hex sources.

Sources: "The Voyages of the Princess Ark" in Dragon Issues 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 and 183. Also X9 The Savage Coast (1985) and Red Steel (1995).

Notes on Updated map (XXX)
To Do List
References
  1. Thorf's Secret Project: Stage One - the original Atlas of Mystara thread at the Wizards MMB. The Dragon replica maps appeared as follows: the Dragon 176 Savage Baronies map in post 209; Robrenn in post 265; Eusdria in post 270; Renardy in post 276; Bellayne in post 288; and Eastern Herath in post 308. Post 294 presents the joined up and updated map of Bellayne, Renardy, Eusdria and Robrenn. Post 634 gave the fully updated map for the whole Savage Coast Central Region.
Thanks to:
Last edited by Thorf on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited references.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Re: Outer World: Savage Coast Central Region, 8 miles per hex

Post by Andaire » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:24 pm

In the composite map of Bellayne & Renardie, some cities (or rather, villages) are spelled Smt., whereas they are spelled St. in the single map of Renardie. The Smt. stomped me at first, since the usual abbreviation for Saint is St (or Ste for Sainte), but since in Renardois they are spelled Saimpt I guess it would stand to reason. But shouldn't they be spelled consistently anyway?
As a sidenote, does anyone know why it was ever spelled saimpt? A google of the word turns only Mystaran documents.
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

stanles
Hill Giant

Post by stanles » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:41 pm

here is one of the posts on the MML by Marco suggesting an answer a while back

http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.ex ... =1&P=26074
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:02 am

Interesting. I have tried to track down the source of my original correction, but so far without success. It looks like I originally had Smt. but changed it to St. at some point. Unfortunately I only corrected the original replica map, so all of my updated maps still have Smt.

Or it could be the other way round, and I started off with St. and corrected it to Smt., but forgot the replica.

Anyway, it seems likely that Marco is right about the origin of Saimpt. It seems to fit quite nicely with the trend at that time of avoiding overtly religious terminology, although "Saimpt" and "Saint" are much closer than some of the other terms.

In any case, which do we go with? Smt.? St.?

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:15 am

Okay, I had a look at my PDFs of the original article in Dragon 179 as well as Red Steel and Savage Coast. It seems that Bruce Heard originally had St. and saint exactly as normal, but these were changed in Red Steel to Smt. and saimpt.

So it looks like my replica is indeed authentic, and I later changed St. to Smt. based on the Red Steel spellings. This is strange given that I deliberately ignored other Red Steel spelling changes (Leominster becoming Leminster and so on).

Given that I tend towards accepting the Princess Ark series over Red Steel when it comes to authenticity, I may go back to the original map's St. and saint. But on the other hand it seems that Saimpt is quite accepted now within our community...? Does anyone have an opinion either way?

stanles
Hill Giant

Post by stanles » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:42 am

Yeah go with Saimpt in the updated maps, I'm all in favour of new words.
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:13 pm

I normally also go with the original VotPA rather than RS, even though that source is less accessible to me.
This case of saimpt/saint is surprising, though, if Bruce originally used the saint spelling. Didn't he use saimpt in later articles, like in the lupin one?
In any case, saimpt seems indeed to be the norm now.
Since smt. is rather unusual, though, what about not abbreviating saimpt on the map, and spell the full city names (eg Saimpt Bark*).
* Note that it is not actually one of the town names as my company filters your site (sigh) but you get my drift. BTW doesn't this name sound good? How about naming a Renardois colony island that way? :)

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:24 pm

Andaire wrote:I normally also go with the original VotPA rather than RS, even though that source is less accessible to me.
This case of saimpt/saint is surprising, though, if Bruce originally used the saint spelling. Didn't he use saimpt in later articles, like in the lupin one?
In any case, saimpt seems indeed to be the norm now.
Since smt. is rather unusual, though, what about not abbreviating saimpt on the map, and spell the full city names (eg Saimpt Bark*).
* Note that it is not actually one of the town names as my company filters your site (sigh) but you get my drift. BTW doesn't this name sound good? How about naming a Renardois colony island that way? :)
That does sound clearer, and we're only talking about two or three names so it's not even a big change. :)

Shouldn't that be Saimpt Barque? ;) It does seem quite in line with Bruce's sense of humour. :lol:

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:27 pm

Thorf wrote:Shouldn't that be Saimpt Barque? ;) It does seem quite in line with Bruce's sense of humour. :lol:
Well, I was already playing with words, between RW Saint Barth(élémy) aka Saint Barts in english (so I should have said Saimpt Barks).
Yours plays between bark and barque* - another clever one ;)
* I just checked and barque was originally spelled bark in English, until the French spelling prevailed. How fitting :mrgreen:

Return to “Geographical Mapping”