[MtG] [Dominaria] D&D in the Magic the Gathering Setting?

"There are some who call me...Tim!" Discuss Magic: The Gathering campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[MtG] [Dominaria] D&D in the Magic the Gathering Setting?

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Has anyone here thought about using the MtG setting Domiaria for a D&D campaign? :)

More details and world map here:
http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Dominaria

Could it work?

Edit:

WotC has later added rules for the following MtG worlds:

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [Dominaria] D&D in the Magic the Gathering Setting?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:52 am

An EnWorlder by the name of Michael Morris converted the setting and card game mechanics to DnD 3E a long time ago. I can't find the PDF online, so I'm uploading my copy to scribd.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:38 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:An EnWorlder by the name of Michael Morris converted the setting and card game mechanics to DnD 3E a long time ago. I can't find the PDF online, so I'm uploading my copy to scribd.
Impressive!
Looks like this setting uses a magic system based on the card game, but for a setting unique to the author? Still might be very useful for this type of game. Thanks TAD! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:38 pm

I thought about the possibilities of using it as a setting way back in the 90's when I was playing Magic. That "thinking" kinda morphed into just going through the cards and lifting snippets of flavor text to use as adventure or campaign setting inspiration.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Which Era would be the best for such a campaign? Dominaria has a more rich history than I thought:
  • The Times of Dragons
  • The Thran
  • The Golden Age of Magic
  • The Brothers' War
  • The Dark
  • The Ice Age
  • The Flood Ages
  • The "Empty Quarter"
  • Modern times
  • The Phyrexian Invasion
  • The Coming of Karona
More ifo: http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Dominaria#History

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:35 pm

Havard wrote:This is possibly blasphemy, but has anyone here thought about using the MtG setting Domiaria for a D&D campaign? :)
It isn't blasphemy. It is what Wizards of the Coast should have started working on the second they bought D&D. Actually, they should already have started work on a RPG version of Magic: the Gathering back when they had the Talislanta licence.

Maybe the pre-D&D era was logistically difficult for them, but the fact that they have gone from late 2e-D&D, through the entire 3e-era and almost all of the 4e-era without doing a M:tG RPG is a bit shameful. How could they put more ieffort into a d20 System of Wheel of Time than their own IP? It doesn't make sense to me.

Hopefully the 5e-era will correct this oversight.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:16 am

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:This is possibly blasphemy, but has anyone here thought about using the MtG setting Domiaria for a D&D campaign? :)
It isn't blasphemy. It is what Wizards of the Coast should have started working on the second they bought D&D. Actually, they should already have started work on a RPG version of Magic: the Gathering back when they had the Talislanta licence.

Maybe the pre-D&D era was logistically difficult for them, but the fact that they have gone from late 2e-D&D, through the entire 3e-era and almost all of the 4e-era without doing a M:tG RPG is a bit shameful. How could they put more ieffort into a d20 System of Wheel of Time than their own IP? It doesn't make sense to me.

Hopefully the 5e-era will correct this oversight.
I want to say that there were plans back in the early d20 days for a MtG setting. For whatever reason, those plans were abandoned. Maybe something to do with crossing the streams? Back in the day, I would have played this in a heartbeat.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:11 pm

I think it is extremely unlikely that WotC will do something like this, but I see no reason why it couldnt be a good fan project :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:22 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:I want to say that there were plans back in the early d20 days for a MtG setting. For whatever reason, those plans were abandoned. Maybe something to do with crossing the streams? Back in the day, I would have played this in a heartbeat.
I heard a rumour about that a few months back.
Havard wrote:I think it is extremely unlikely that WotC will do something like this, but I see no reason why it couldnt be a good fan project :)
I don't think they would ever build it into the D&D multiverse (either the planes of Planescape or the spheres of Spelljammer). But something similar to Wheel of Time (that was D&D compatible) would probably work well.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Kain Darkwind
Orc

Post by Kain Darkwind » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:22 pm

I use Phyrexians in my Greyhawk/Golarion campaign.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:02 am

Dragonhelm wrote:I want to say that there were plans back in the early d20 days for a MtG setting. For whatever reason, those plans were abandoned. Maybe something to do with crossing the streams? Back in the day, I would have played this in a heartbeat.
In the early days of 3rd edition, WotC had a policy against blurring their product lines together. According to Monte Cook, the whole reason that good-aligned planar creatures were called "celestials" instead of "angels" in the original 3e MM was that Magic: The Gathering already had angels in it and they thought it would somehow be too confusing if both D&D and Magic: The Gathering had angels.

By the time 3.5 rolled around, someone realized how stupid that was, and D&D has angels now.

Freedom92
Bugbear

Post by Freedom92 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:58 am

Kain Darkwind wrote:I use Phyrexians in my Greyhawk/Golarion campaign.
Do you have stats for your phyrexians? I'd love to see them!

Also I could easily see the era of the Brothers War easily being the basis of a campaign, that or the Ice Age. Its sort of era as well, the Thran era would be hard to recreate though. The Thran were very much scientific in manner and teachings, not really mages but more artificers.

Teazia
Gnoll

Post by Teazia » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:54 am

I think they had a game on the block before they purchased TSR, and there have been intermittent workings over the years on a MTG RPG, I believe some even came close by the sound of it- sorry no sources forthcoming.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:02 am

redacted
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:33 am

Big Mac wrote:
It isn't blasphemy. It is what Wizards of the Coast should have started working on the second they bought D&D.
100% agree - in M:tG there are plenty of interesting stories, creatures and features that could be adapted very successfully to any fantasy campaign.
For example I can see old Argivian technology / arifacts quite compatible with old Blackmoorian technology (with similar instability, but mostly without the Radiance issues, that can however be retro-fitted), so a campaign where Urza and Mishra dig up old Blackmoorinan technologies/artifacts and later on learn to make new items using Blackmoorian technologies could be really amazing.
In alternative, I can really see Thallids taking over Alfheim / Wendar (and exiling the elves) or Alphatian (or Nithian?) wizards breeding Thrulls and swarming Thyatis (I think in the past I hinted at some similar options somewhere on ThePiazza... or was it the Comeback Inn?... maybe both...)

BUT M:tG could also be the source of several fully fledged and indipendent campaign settings and I think that the Wizards should consider working on it as it would be a great synergy between two of their most popular franchises, putting in touch and "cross-breeding" perhaps their two biggest fan bases.

I can't understand why they didn't start these projects with some top-notch author the day after they aquired D&D franchise rights.
Last edited by Yaztromo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:48 am

Freedom92 wrote: Thran era would be hard to recreate though. The Thran were very much scientific in manner and teachings, not really mages but more artificers.
have a look at Blackmoor... :roll:

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:43 am

Yaztromo wrote: For example I can see old Argivian technology / arifacts quite compatible with old Blackmoorian technology (with similar instability, but mostly without the Radiance issues, that can however be retro-fitted), so a campaign where Urza and Mishra dig up old Blackmoorinan technologies/artifacts and later on learn to make new items using Blackmoorian technologies could be really amazing.
In alternative, I can really see Thallids taking over Alfheim / Wendar (and exiling the elves) or Alphatian (or Nithian?) wizards breeding Thrulls and swarming Thyatis (I think in the past I hinted at some similar options somewhere on ThePiazza... or was it the Comeback Inn?... maybe both...)
Aha! I found one past thread that I posted on ThePiazza about this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9683
There may be more...

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:01 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Michael Morris contacted me on Facebook and asked that I remove the PDF from Scribd, so I have. However, if anyone is still interested in receiving a copy of the 3E Dusk: A Player's Guide to Carthasana pdf, just send me a PM with the request for it and I'll send it your way.

Michael now has a Facebook group for the world and has updated the world to be used with Pathfinder.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/455577807825539
I think that Michael Morris did an amazing job, and that's just one of the possible options to incorporate some M:tG features in a D&D (or any other game system)... and not the most extensive...

True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Post by True_Atlantean » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:23 am

If you want the 'Current Clack' quote about the setting, I included it as the intro to this blog post a few weeks back.

http://kippersandjam.wordpress.com/2013 ... -my-swamp/
The Mirage Arcana Podcast Archive has moved. Visit us here.
Keep up-to-date with RPG news at my Scoop.It page.
Kippers and Jam, a blog about roleplaying.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:17 am

I think there's a huge potential in crossing over D&D and Magic: the Gathering.
The possibiliites are countless as you can cross-contaminate only the magic system, or the "coolest" creatures, while you use your estabilished worlds (Mystara etc.), or you can tansfer everything in the M:tG multiverse or you can have both realities co-existing as two different planes and you can travel from one to the other, etc. etc.
Both franchises are incredibly rich of stories and flavour that can be very profitably used for fun...

It's really a waste (and a shame) that Wizards aren't actively working on this... but given that the intellectual property of both games sits with them, there is not so much that can be officially done and shared, apart from private gaming.

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:27 pm

Heck, you could use the other "worlds" - Mirrodin would be a good Ebberon-style setting, Inistrad could be a Ravenloft-style setting and Zendikar...well until the BBG's show up, could be a standard fantasy setting with a twist about the land.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:00 pm

I had a good thought about this issue and I came to the conclusion that M:tG setting, creatures and magic system (that are relatively simple) would fit very well with Advanced Fighting Fantasy ruleset http://www.arion-games.com/aff.html (that is similarly simple and where the magic system could be cross-contaminated easily M:tG system), with minor adjustments (for example the creatures from M:tG should all multiply by 3 or 4 their attack and defence or conversely all creatures from AFF should divide their skill and stamina by the same factor...).

The only bug of this idea is that the rights of these two games are owned by different companies...

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:54 am

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:10 am

Turns out there was more behind the story of why there was no MtG RPG:
ENWorld wrote: Ex-WotC Employees Weigh in on the No M:tG RPG Debate

I mentioned Ryan Dancey's Reddit comments about why there was no M:tG RPG a couple of days ago. That story isn't over yet, though; this thread on Ryan Dancey's Facebook page exploded with information as ex-WotC employees (including brand managers, designers, and more) added their thoughts. The thread is public, and has been shared publicly, so you can read it yourself, but here are some of the highlights. [42 comments]
  • RPG designer (not WotC) John Wick (L5R) kicks off the discussion by reminding folks that the M:tG team and the D&D team couldn't agree on how the profits for such a game should be divided.
  • Mike Selinker (Marvel Super Heroes, D&D 3E, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game) refers to a pile of "doomed products" - work put in on products (he mentions 28 products "imploding" in an 8 month time period and that only 20% of licensed or cross-branded products actually made it to market) which never got produced. The D&D/M:tG crossover was restarted multiple times.
  • Other potential crossovers which suffered similar fates included a line of Magic miniatures. Distributors were gathered for the announcement; and then Dreamblade was announced instead to a "collective sigh".
  • Dancey mentions that he and Keith Strohm always tried to "kill" products early if they were likely to not make production, although wasn't always successful.
  • Joseph Hauck (former M:tG Brand Manager) confirms that neither the head of the D&D brand nor the head of the Magic brand thought that the project should move forward, and yet were overruled, which meant that people still worked on the project for a time until the cancellation and observes that "corporate culture, clear roles and responsibilities (including decision making) and accountability are the responsibility of the CEO", and that these decisions caused the loss of valued employees.
  • Lisa Stevens (former WotC VP; RPGA and Greyhawk brands; currently Paizo's CEO) confirms that she was tasked with starting up a M:tG RPG three times, only to have it cancelled each time, mainly by the Magic side.
  • The licensing issues were more widespread, though - Anthony Valterra (former brand manager) talks of frustration when they could not put out the Dune product or do a Star Trek product or do a Harry Potter product all because of licensing issues beyond their control, and reflects on being handed a failing project that he had already recommended be killed - apparently the phrase "sunk costs" was used a lot. Dancey mentions losing the Harry Potter card game rights, and losing corporate mandates for Pokemon RPGs.
  • There appears to be an undercurrent of dissatisfaction at how folks were treated. Ron Richardson (M:tG) says "We were good at lots of things at Wizards, treating each other well wasn't one of them" and that "decisions were made more difficult than they had to be and folk weren't as respected as they should have been"; and Mike Selinker says "R&D members was treated extremely cavalierly by Brand team members" and refers to "the low value placed on designers". Additionally, Lisa Stevens comments on layoffs that doomed any team that wasn't a TCG one.

All in all, it doesn't point to a happy environment at WotC at the time. This was all a decade ago, of course, and WotC has a very different lineup these days.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/#ixzz2knlxbggB
Source: http://www.enworld.org/

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Teazia
Gnoll

Post by Teazia » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Yeh, there have been rumblings of these things for years, it is interesting that they are coming out now. The contractual gap orders must have expired...

I would just love some cool art books from Mtg lines, that would be enough to make cool crossover rpg material.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”