[video] Secrets of TSR

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[video] Secrets of TSR

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:21 am

YouTube has a video of the Secrets of TSR panel from PaizoCon 2012.

The panel included : Jeff Grubb, Pierce Watters, Rob Lazzaretti, Dave Gross, Wolfgang Baur and Stan!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [video] Secrets of TSR

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:11 am

I need to download this.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:52 am

I was very interested to hear that Al-Qadim was more financially successful than the better selling, Dark Sun line.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:51 pm

Big Mac wrote:I was very interested to hear that Al-Qadim was more financially successful than the better selling, Dark Sun line.
No surprise, really. Dark Sun products had all sorts of gimmicks like flip books and such, which were probably expensive, while Al-Qadim were just straight books.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:10 pm

GOOD GAWD...they had JAMES CAMERON offering to do the D&D Movie, right after he directed Terminator, and Lorraine Williams pissed him off such that he walked away?!?!?! Holy smokes!! Lorraine should have been SHOT for that decision! :o
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:34 pm

I look forward to watching this once I'm able to.

So Lorraine pissed off James Cameron, eh? Wow!!! What could have been.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:31 pm

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I was very interested to hear that Al-Qadim was more financially successful than the better selling, Dark Sun line.
No surprise, really. Dark Sun products had all sorts of gimmicks like flip books and such, which were probably expensive, while Al-Qadim were just straight books.
I actually prefer straight books. Some of the weird formats of 2e (like the cards used in the first Spelljammer boxed set) is fairly useful, but mostly it makes the boxed sets too hard to reprint.

I know a lot of us want to see TSR stuff reprinted, but things like Dark Sun's spiral books make that harder to do. If you just had books, it would be relatively simple to switch out of print boxed sets to Print on Demand and bring them all all back. But nobody is going to be wanting to do a PoD slotted plastic strip, like you get for the cut out spelljammer ships or any of the other weird one-off things. That means that the products would need to have items removed or redesigned. :|

About the only non-book item I have a universal love for is maps. If you could split them off from the books, it would be possible to order the books and maps via PoD and have them sent separately.
night_druid wrote:GOOD GAWD...they had JAMES CAMERON offering to do the D&D Movie, right after he directed Terminator, and Lorraine Williams pissed him off such that he walked away?!?!?! Holy smokes!! Lorraine should have been SHOT for that decision! :o
I'd love to find out what sort of movie James Cameron would have wanted to do. I wonder if he would have wanted to do a movie set in Greyhawk, or one of the other campaign settings in print in 1984.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:41 pm

Its an interesting video. Its always nice to see the designers from the TSR era talk about the old days. I was a little disappointed there weren't more actual secrets revealed, but oh well :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:09 pm

I like what I've seen so far but I have to finish watching it.

Return to “The Squishy Bits”