Thyatis: Types of Gladiators?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Thyatis: Types of Gladiators?

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Has anyone come up with some terminology for different types of gladiators in Mystara? Many of them would/could be the same as in the real world (Bestiarii, Retiarii, Myrmillones, etc.), but several of the more famous types were named after the RW people/regions they came from, such as the Samnites, Galli, and Thracians. Obviously, in Mystara, those regions don't exist.

Offhand, I'm thinking that some of the areas that might have provided slaves for the arenas could be Traladara, the Hinterlands, the Isle of Dawn, and Ylaruam. What sorts of gladiators might these regions have provided and what might the terminology be for them? Some of them are just kind of awkward (Traladara and Hinterlands), and Ylari already is in popular use so maybe a region of Ylari slave would be better (Akbiri, or something?)

Also, some of them could possibly be named after/based on the early Thyatian tribes as well, since it was primarily Thyatian slaves that were the early gladiators under the Alphatian overlords. Again, though, I'm wondering if we could find names for them other than just repeating their tribal names (Hattian, Kerendan, Thyatian); either a variation of the same or something new.

Hoplomachi, of course, could be based on Milenian troops in Davania from whom the original Thyatian tribes fled north.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

JTrithen
Ogre

Re: Thyatis: Types of Gladiators?

Post by JTrithen » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:33 pm

I ran this about 8 years ago (DDA1). I had the same dilemna. I was using other additional material for gladiators fromDragon magaizine, and was having a lot of fun with it.

But, this was a conundrum for me, too. I never did figure out where I would have Samnites or Thracians come from, in Mystara.
I was starting to think that some of the cultures that were more barbaric in the past in the Savage Coast region (the forebears of Robreen, Eusdria, etc.) could act as replacements for the inspiration for these types of gladiators, but they are mostly too far away to have major influences in Thyatis.

I'll bet some of the city-state regions and "mini-culture" regions of the Isle of Dawn could be retro-fitted for this purpose.
It would definitely take some reserach, to do this well. (Which I was not able to do too extensively when I ran this campaign years ago.)

: )

JTrithen

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:38 am

I'd replace Galli with "Albani" (Dunael/Isle of Dawn M-Celts), Thraeces with "Thratii" (Thratians/Hinterlanders) and Samnites with "Doulakki".

Kerandans would be mounted gladiators (Equites).

GP

cimbrog
Kobold

Post by cimbrog » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:54 pm

I have all the work done for a 4th edition Thyatian gladiator game that will probably never get played. The traditional Thyatian gladiator types I had were:
Legionaries (fighter)- These are essentially gladiators suited up like legionaries.
Rectors (Warlord) - “Leaders”. These are gladiators who have shown some skill at leadership. Modeled after centurions.
Insulas (Rogue) - “Islanders”. Armed with spears and other light weapons and armor, these quick gladiators are modeled after the Pearl Islanders.
Traldas (Fighter/Great Weapon) - Bronze armored gladiators wielding great swords and axes. Modeled after the ancient Traldarans.
Sagittars (Ranger/Archer) - Unarmored bowmen modeled after Vyalia archers.
Peltasts (Warlord/Skirmisher) - Based off of the javelin throwers of the Imperial Army. They also act as leaders.
Alaysi (Ranger/Two Weapon) - Lightly armored, dual sword wielding gladiators modeled after Ylari dervishes.

The full list of available gladiators in the region is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xmo ... 7NnyE/edit
Hope you enjoy! I'm thinking of opening up the whole campaign folder to the forum here.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:49 pm

Looks cool, cimbrog! I'll be sure and take a closer look when I get home!
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Return to “Mystara”