Dragon Fist RPG

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Isuru
Ogre

Dragon Fist RPG

Post by Isuru » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:09 am

Anyone have experience with this game?

It's a wuxia inspired RPG with a martial arts system overlaid upon a stripped down version of D&D 2e (with some 3e/d20 concepts) designed by Chris Pramas, now of Green Ronin (Freeport, Dragon AGE, SIFRP). WotC offered it as a free download from their site in the early 2000s, before Green Ronin purchased the rights back. It has since disappeared off of WotC entirely, even their archives, probably from a recent reorganization (accessible even in the late 2000s it seems from other forum discussions). It's still accessible via web archive/way back machine. Someone also posted them on Scribd. It comes with a setting (plus map). http://www.scribd.com/doc/8051428/Dragon-Fist-part-1

I've heard of Dragon Fist before, but always thought it was a very different game. Did not know it was built on AD&D bones. If I had knowledge of it earlier, I probably would have used it when my group had our OA game.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Dragon Fist RPG

Post by agathokles » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:09 pm

It's essentially AD&D 2e, with one proto-3e change (inverted AC) and a stunt system replacing ability score bonuses.

I've played a short campaign, but covering the entire level range (from level 3 to level 10). We played the adventure included in the book, then went on to look for the Empress' daughter in the lands of the Yi barbarians, with the PCs having to face barbarian champions in various sporting competitions to prove their worth. Then, the PCs were tasked with recovering the five legendary weapons and take on the Emperor. In the process, they participated to a martial arts tournament and defeated (some of) the 106 bandits of the yellow river, as well as a hoard dragon.

We had a Righteous Fist, Great Immortal (who finally became the next Emperor), Red Tiger, Ghost Eater and Black Lotus Shaman. Though that character was only present in the first part of the campaign, it was rather amusing -- the player portrayed it as a wizened man who spoke out of synchro and had turned to demons to restore his youth.

GP

Isuru
Ogre

Post by Isuru » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:19 am

Sounds like an excellent campaign with an interesting cast of characters.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:52 pm

I've never heard of this, but I stumbled onto a review of Dragon Fist by someone called maniac clown.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Isuru
Ogre

Post by Isuru » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:54 am

I found the game/rules/setting through mentions in forums and reviews. Then grabbed the files via way back machine.

It still has some fans who mention it now and again, keeping the light burning. From their comments, I gathered the positive news is that Chris Pramas purchased the rights back from WotC years ago. Being the head of Green Ronin, he's in an excellent position to give this a full game treatment. The negative news seems to be, despite hints and rumors through the years, DF hasn't arrived in a new or expanded edition and doesn't appear to be on the horizon.

Figure Chris Pramas and Green Ronin are too busy working on high-profile license games like DC Adventures, SIFRP, and Dragon AGE.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:04 pm

Isuru wrote:I found the game/rules/setting through mentions in forums and reviews. Then grabbed the files via way back machine.
I couldn't find a Wayback Machine link that wasn't dead. Maybe you had an earlier URL for the WotC website. :?
Isuru wrote:It still has some fans who mention it now and again, keeping the light burning. From their comments, I gathered the positive news is that Chris Pramas purchased the rights back from WotC years ago. Being the head of Green Ronin, he's in an excellent position to give this a full game treatment. The negative news seems to be, despite hints and rumors through the years, DF hasn't arrived in a new or expanded edition and doesn't appear to be on the horizon.

Figure Chris Pramas and Green Ronin are too busy working on high-profile license games like DC Adventures, SIFRP, and Dragon AGE.
Green Ronin are too busy to publish Freeport too. :|
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Isuru
Ogre

Post by Isuru » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:33 am

I don't blame Green Ronin for focusing on their licensed properties. The terms may be fairly strict on what and when products could be developed for release and they have to keep to it. No doubt the license games are raising the profile of the company, building a fanbase, and making decent sales if the ICv2 report is accurate.

Regarding the web archive of the files, note they split the game up into many smaller files, most likely due to the slower-than-now internet connection speed back during the early 2000s. When I was browsing the web archives, some of the files were backed up in 2000, others were backed up in 2011. From forum discussions, it seemed you could still grab the files directly from WotC by searching directly for the file name up until somewhere around 2008-2011.

Most of the files are in the following format:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Dragonfist01.pdf

Replace the "01" portion with, 02, 03, ... and so on up to 07.
Using the 'Save Link As' function on an archived date seems to work best.

Using the beginning of that WotC address, there is one file named "DragonFistAppendix.pdf" this one is technically file '08'. The Table of Contents is named "DragonFistTOC.pdf". The character sheet is "DFsheet.pdf".

There is one more filed, the named "DragonFist09Adventure.pdf" but every link or archive I try, the file I download is jibberish unreadable by adobe acrobat. It is also much smaller than the other files, so that may explain why.

An alternative method to obtain the files is to download them from Scribd. There are various methods to do so without creating an account it seems.

Here is a blog post by someone who linked all the parts someone uploaded to scribd: http://www.stargazersworld.com/2008/12/ ... agon-fist/

The adventure, Dragon & Phoenix, is amongst them.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks. Tianguo looks like an interesting campaign setting. I'd love to see this converted to Pathfinder RPG (I'd have preferred to have seen it converted to 3rd Edition back in the day) and expanded.

With the need to provide a complete rules system, there is only about 10 pages of setting material there. I would love to see what Chris Pramas could have done with a gazetteer of the setting.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:07 am

The setting is essentially China seen through the Wuxia genre. D&D has Kara-Tur and Pathfinder has the Jade Empire, which seems even more similar to Tianguo.

Thus, conversion amounts to finding appropriate character classes -- not a difficult task given the number of options provided by either game.
Considering that all characters have Martial Arts in DF, they might be rendered as gestalt characters in 3e, using the Monk and one other class.

GP

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:00 pm

Brilliant game with a brilliant setting. I used the rules for a short quasi-historical campaign set in Qin's warring kingdoms era. Brilliant fun!

Teazia
Gnoll

Post by Teazia » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:54 am

Anyone try kitbashing this with 2e to make a 2e martial arts system?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:19 am

Teazia wrote:Anyone try kitbashing this with 2e to make a 2e martial arts system?
Good question. I crossposted it over in the 2nd Edition forum: [DF] Anyone tried kitbashing Dragon Fist with 2e?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:35 am

I didn't, but the Dragonfist book discusses this option as well.

GP

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:23 am

http://web.archive.org/web/200003021401 ... nloads.asp

The web archive has everything except the sample adventure archived.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Yojimbo
Orc

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:39 pm

There's also a Dragon Fist retro clone Flying Swordsmen, which not only replicates the mechanics but also adds new material and a new setting.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Yojimbo wrote:There's also a Dragon Fist retro clone Flying Swordsmen, which not only replicates the mechanics but also adds new material and a new setting.
Thanks for the link to an interesting looking freebie retro-clone. :cool:

And welcome to The Piazza Yojimbo. :D

Perhaps we should have a thread about the Flying Swordsmen Campaign Setting. :?

Return to “Oriental Adventures”